U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 8,721 times

Advertisements

I currently work in Frazer, PA, but I want to live in Southern NJ because I have family and friends in NJ, particularly family in Hammonton and Mt. Holly.

I've looked into Center City Philly but the commute from CC to Frazer is on the Schuylkill Expressway.

I've tried different routes and the one that I like is using I-295, Commodore Barry Bridge, 322 W, and 202N. It's still 45 minutes after crossing the bridge, but doable.

Are there good apartments in this area of NJ- I'd like to be within 5 miles of Exit 13 which is the I-295 exit for the bridge, since I still have that commute within PA after crossing the bridge.

When I go on apartments.com, and use a Swedesboro zip code, the only one near that comes up is Westbrook at Weatherby Apartments, and it only shows 2 bedroom apartments at $1170. I just need a 1 BDR. The other nearby choices are in DE or PA.

Long term- one day I could buy a place here too. Maybe I could rent a house or private place if there are not many apartments? Which towns/places are suggested?

Another thing is are there good fitness clubs down there? I don't see a Snap or LA Fitness within 5 miles, and I don't know what's down there. Everything else like shopping, I can drive 10-15 miles elsewhere.

Thanks.

Last edited by lovemusic; 02-01-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,519,665 times
I live in the Swedesboro area, Logan to be precise. Just for clarification, the actual exit off 295 for the Commodore Barry Bridge is exit 11 at 322. When you are coming southbound from further north, the signs do tell you to take the split at exit 13 and get on 130, but locals tend to get on at exit 10 of 295 and go one mile north to exit 11 which practically dumps you onto the bridge. Minor correction, but that does somewhat expand the area you could consider.

There really aren't many apartment complexes in the area. The only two traditional ones I know of are both in Woolwich Twp. and in the same general area. The first is the one you already mentioned, Westbrook at Weatherby. These are all two bedroom places, some of them have garages, others don't. I believe these were built in 2005/6, so are rather recent construction and are pretty nice inside:

Westbrook At Weatherby Welcome

The second complex is under the same management group and is called Pond View at Weatherby. Again, these are all two bedroom places and I don't believe they have garages. These are brand new construction with the first units just having opened in 2012 and they are still building. Chances are if you rent there you would be the first person to live in the unit:

Pondview Apartments, apartments Woolwich Township, apartments - Welcome

Outside of those any rentals would be house/townhouse rentals or perhaps a multi-family home rental in downtown Swedesboro. As far as the towns themselves go, all three towns in that immediate area: Logan, Woolwich and Swedesboro are equally nice and all share amenities and have relatively equal access to everything. There are a number of townhome developments in all three as well as single family homes ranging from smaller ranch houses costing well under $200k to sprawling estate homes in the million dollar range. Most housing stock is single family homes in the 1,800 sq.ft. to 2,500 sq.ft. range with prices running from $190k - $300k. In terms of owning, Logan has a distinct advantage in that the town has much lower property taxes (many homes are under $4k a year) then the other towns (which tend to average $6k+).

If you were considering buying, you should be aware that the entire area qualifies for USDA mortgage financing, which allows zero down, 100% financing as long as you meet the income guidelines which are very, very liberal. Basically as long as you make under $150k a year you can qualify. If you are looking to own there are some pretty affordable townhomes that are more "condo-ey" being built. The development is called Lexington Mews and is in a nice convenient location to everything in the area. I think their prices currently start around $150k.

http://www.jporleans.com/community/lexington-mews/

The only area I would generally recommend avoiding living in is the immediate downtown area of Swedesboro. It's not dangerous and the downtown is quaint with a couple nice restaurants and bars that locals frequent, but the homes in that immediate area are a little more rundown and there are a lot of multi-family rental houses. Outside of that immediate area, you can't go wrong.

The only major health club in the immediate area is Super Fitness in Logan. It's convenient to all three towns and seems relatively popular, but it is the only real option close by:

Welcome to Super Fitness Online

I believe there is a Future Fitness in Mullica Hill, but that's about a 15-20 minute drive away.

Shopping you seem to realize that there isn't much locally. Groceries, pharmacy, convenience stores, etc. are all covered with good local options. There are also numerous local farmers markets in season, so that's covered as well. It's when you get into things like Target, Home Depot, BJ's, Best Buy, etc. that the area doesn't offer anything. The closest options for those kind of places are the Deptford Mall area (about a 30 minute drive) and Christiana in Delaware, about the same distance, but you have the bridge toll. Basically is you are planning on spending at least $100 on taxable goods, it's worth the trip to Delaware. Anything less, head to Deptford.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 8,721 times
Thanks very much! All the information is very helpful.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,766,556 times
Does your employer offer shuttle service from the Malvern or Exton Train Stations? I'm sure SEPTA bus service can get you from either of these stations to Frazer also. If so you could do a reverse commute on the train, at least on rainy days when the traffic will be twice as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia