Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
And do the town a favor by attracting a better crowd of people to spend time in the area?
People go where there are jobs. And without a base for employment, people will only visit and shop.

I do wonder though, if any kind of survey has been done for the type of audience to see what would attract more people to the area (i.e., movie theatres, coffee shops, boutiques, etc.)

Nice tho, to see that you're thinking about the space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't really see how much of that will do anything but improve the aesthetic. The main issue with Vineland is the crap school system. Anyone in town who gives a crap and can afford it sends their kids to Catholic school. Better businesses may attract business, but they won't attract residents, that's what the schools do.
I think you would agree with me in that it's sort of hard to compare Vineland to other cities in the region. Vineland didn't really go through a post industrial decline the way cities like Camden, Trenton, and even Atlantic City did in some ways. I think this gives the city of Vineland an advantage over the other cities since it never had to go through that. Vineland unlike the other cities is more of a sprawling type of city with a population that is less dense and more spread out over a large land area.

The school system isn't that great but I think we must also take into account which school systems are we comparing Vineland to. If we are comparing Vineland's school system with cities like Trenton and Camden than the Vineland school system doesn't look that bad. I think a lot of people like to compare Vineland to affluent suburban towns like Cherry Hill and Washington Township, NJ. Which of course Vineland doesn't fair well against.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 03-23-2013 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,168 times
I'm curious if residents in Hammonton shop more at Hamilton Mall, Cumberland Mall, Deptford Mall. Or in CH, Marlton or Atlantic City. Hammonton is about 20-25 miles from all areas in the first list, and 35-40 mins to CH. Vineland/Cumberland Mall has the reduced tax 3.5 percent.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 PM

1,011 posts, read 785,071 times
Shoprite is building a new store across the street from Super Walmart. I do think that's a great idea that they should either tear down the Formen mills shopping center or face lift it and redo the parking lot add better lights etc . But Formen Mills is doing well i don't see them ever leaving. I would love to see the old Delsea Drive shoprite become a Big lots. The Landis Shoprite in east Vineland needs to be moved into the old Iga Building. They should either move Landis Shoprite into the old Iga Building in East Vineland or bring another store in that area. I think Vineland should focus on Discount stores were a poor county why bring in upscale stores and no one can't afford it? As long they have the right security and stuff the stores shouldn't be ghetto. Sears needs to be torn down what a old run down building but why should they move to Cumberland Mall? Sears is a dying store imo that would bring the mall down even more. The old rite aide downtown Vineland should be some type of Dollar General since they are popping up. If Dillards come to the Cumberland mall can they fit into the old Fye store?

But playing Musical stores is not going to help Vineland. Vineland is ghetto it needs to be cleaned up. I hope the new Mayor is going to put Vineland into the right direction Vineland can be a booming town if its done right.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think you would agree with me in that it's sort of hard to compare Vineland to other cities in the region. Vineland didn't really go through a post industrial decline the way cities like Camden, Trenton, and even Atlantic City did in some ways. I think this gives the city of Vineland an advantage over the other cities since it never had to go through that. Vineland unlike the other cities is more of a sprawling type of city with a population that is less dense and more spread out over a large land area.

The school system isn't that great but I think we must also take into account which school systems are we comparing Vineland to. If we are comparing Vineland's school system with cities like Trenton and Camden than the Vineland school system doesn't look that bad. I think a lot of people like to compare Vineland to affluent suburban towns like Cherry Hill and Washington Township, NJ. Which of course Vineland doesn't fair well against.
Vineland did go through its industrial cycles, but it was never a "manufacturing city" per se like Camden or other typical northeast cities were. Vineland started in the 1860's as a farming community and the industries of Vineland primarily revolved around the farming industry.

The first "Vineland boom" was during prohibition. A man by the name Dr. Thomas Welch had perfected a preserved grape juice that could be used by churches in towns, like Vineland, that banned alcohol. When prohibition hit Dr. Welch was the only one on the market with a preserved fruit juice. His company exploded and rapidly outstripped the ability of local Vineland farmers to provide the company with Concord Grapes. So, the company was moved in its entirety to New York State where they still make juice today.

The next "boom" was the poultry industry and by the late 1940's 90% of Vinelands population was involved in the poultry and egg business. The decline started in the 50's when newer technologies allowed "industrial poultry farms" to produce eggs and poultry products far cheaper then what the individual farmers in Vineland could do it for. By the end of the 70's the poultry business was virtually non-existent.

Through the 60's and 70's the main industries were food processing, textiles and glass manufacturing. It was the glass manufacturers that brought the main waves of migration to Vineland and they remained one of the areas largest employers into the 80's when they all began to close down their operations. You can still see the huge glass plants in Vineland, Millville and Bridgeton that at one point employed thousands.

So, while Vineland never had the dense manufacturing that other areas did, it was still heavily reliant on manufacturing from 1950-1980 to provide the engine for the local economy. Right now, I don't know what the future is. Vineland is too isolated to really draw business out that way and there is no "sprawl pressure" for people to move there and commute to the main business centers. It just kind of exists.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:07 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Vineland did go through its industrial cycles, but it was never a "manufacturing city" per se like Camden or other typical northeast cities were. Vineland started in the 1860's as a farming community and the industries of Vineland primarily revolved around the farming industry.

The first "Vineland boom" was during prohibition. A man by the name Dr. Thomas Welch had perfected a preserved grape juice that could be used by churches in towns, like Vineland, that banned alcohol. When prohibition hit Dr. Welch was the only one on the market with a preserved fruit juice. His company exploded and rapidly outstripped the ability of local Vineland farmers to provide the company with Concord Grapes. So, the company was moved in its entirety to New York State where they still make juice today.

The next "boom" was the poultry industry and by the late 1940's 90% of Vinelands population was involved in the poultry and egg business. The decline started in the 50's when newer technologies allowed "industrial poultry farms" to produce eggs and poultry products far cheaper then what the individual farmers in Vineland could do it for. By the end of the 70's the poultry business was virtually non-existent.

Through the 60's and 70's the main industries were food processing, textiles and glass manufacturing. It was the glass manufacturers that brought the main waves of migration to Vineland and they remained one of the areas largest employers into the 80's when they all began to close down their operations. You can still see the huge glass plants in Vineland, Millville and Bridgeton that at one point employed thousands.

So, while Vineland never had the dense manufacturing that other areas did, it was still heavily reliant on manufacturing from 1950-1980 to provide the engine for the local economy. Right now, I don't know what the future is. Vineland is too isolated to really draw business out that way and there is no "sprawl pressure" for people to move there and commute to the main business centers. It just kind of exists.
There is still a plant producing canned food in Vineland. They produce Brunswick Stew, soups & chili.

When my family moved to Cherry Hill in 1964, we had numerous food deliveries, milk man & Charles Chips were 2 but what really surprised my mom was the egg man. He came up from Vineland. A couple of times a year he would offer chickens, but my mom never got them. The egg man came for years & outlasted all of the other home deliveries. One day he didn't show up & never came again. We eventually decided that he must have died.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Shoprite is building a new store across the street from Super Walmart. I do think that's a great idea that they should either tear down the Formen mills shopping center or face lift it and redo the parking lot add better lights etc . But Formen Mills is doing well i don't see them ever leaving. I would love to see the old Delsea Drive shoprite become a Big lots. The Landis Shoprite in east Vineland needs to be moved into the old Iga Building. They should either move Landis Shoprite into the old Iga Building in East Vineland or bring another store in that area. I think Vineland should focus on Discount stores were a poor county why bring in upscale stores and no one can't afford it? As long they have the right security and stuff the stores shouldn't be ghetto. Sears needs to be torn down what a old run down building but why should they move to Cumberland Mall? Sears is a dying store imo that would bring the mall down even more. The old rite aide downtown Vineland should be some type of Dollar General since they are popping up. If Dillards come to the Cumberland mall can they fit into the old Fye store?

But playing Musical stores is not going to help Vineland. Vineland is ghetto it needs to be cleaned up. I hope the new Mayor is going to put Vineland into the right direction Vineland can be a booming town if its done right.
I'm sorry about this thread. I don't understand why someone who doesn't live there would start it. Vineland isn't fancy, but no one should do that. I don't understand the musical stores thing. It doesn't help anyone & no businesses are going to do it. Speculation about empty stores is one thing but musical stores is a complete waste of time & energy that could be put to better use actually doing something, in my opinion.

Dillards is a fancy Department store. That was brought up in reference to something else.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM

421 posts, read 834,159 times
I'm SORRY that none of you see value in any of my ideas. I don't mean to come off as a snob or greedy capitalist. I really only am asking for fairness here, that huge corporations that operate in Vineland put the same amount of money into their Vineland stores as they put into their stores elsewhere.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I'm SORRY that none of you see value in any of my ideas. I don't mean to come off as a snob or greedy capitalist. I really only am asking for fairness here, that huge corporations that operate in Vineland put the same amount of money into their Vineland stores as they put into their stores elsewhere.
It's not that your ideas don't have value, it's just that I see them as playing "Sim City" and "putting lipstick on a pig". Yes, your ideas would make the commerical corridor more attractive and more logical, but that isn't going to do anything to change Vineland and what it is. Like I said way back, the key to making places like Vineland attractive is schools and they just don't have good ones. There is virtually zero reason for anyone to choose to move to Vineland unless they happen to work there and that only applies to a few people. Even then, there are plenty of affordable communities within a reasonable commute to Vineland that offer much better schools and QOL. If you have ideas on making the schools better and more competitive, I think it would then be legitimate to say "ideas for improving Vineland".

As for why companies don't invest the same into their Vineland stores that they do elsewhere, the answer is simple. Lack of real competition for the shopping dollars and they scale and address their stores to the local demographic. The appearance of stores can generally tell you two things:

1. If a store is "kind of dumpy" in a sea of otherwise nice stores, it means that the location is not generating good revenue.

2. If all the stores are "kind of dumpy" that's a reflection on the area itself because it means that people don't demand "better" with their dollars and the companies simply won't invest because it's "good enough".

Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM

421 posts, read 834,159 times
Considering that companies such as Sears put minimal investment into their Vineland stores, why might the Denny's there have a bar, which must be a HUGE extra expense, when such Denny's are EXTREMELY rare? I think Denny's should be applauded for that, but at the same time, perhaps people in better areas would be opposed to Denny's providing alcohol available at all hours of the day and night, especially considering Denny's restaurants are otherwise family-friendly. In fact, the Vineland one is the only one I know of to have arcade games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia