Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 84,670 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses so far. Doesn't necessarily have to be walking distance to PATCO, but that would be ideal. Lived in Marlton for a while and thought I'd be able to deal with the commute to PATCO from there, but it was quite frustrating - sometimes took 30-40 minutes (just waiting in line at the light to cross Route 73 sometimes took 20 minutes). I could deal with a 10 minute drive "in traffic" to PATCO (my commute from Marlton probably only took 15 minutes when there was no traffic), but again, walking distance would be ideal.

Budget is hard to tell at this point because I am currently going through a divorce. Not sure what the final settlement as far as support will go. I would guess I should be able to afford at least $1500/month for rent or mortgage.

Hoping not to move again after this, at least not to a different town and school district. May be able to rent for a few years and then buy, but would like to stay in the same town so kids make friends and have some stability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsphan08 View Post
Thanks for all the responses so far. Doesn't necessarily have to be walking distance to PATCO, but that would be ideal. Lived in Marlton for a while and thought I'd be able to deal with the commute to PATCO from there, but it was quite frustrating - sometimes took 30-40 minutes (just waiting in line at the light to cross Route 73 sometimes took 20 minutes). I could deal with a 10 minute drive "in traffic" to PATCO (my commute from Marlton probably only took 15 minutes when there was no traffic), but again, walking distance would be ideal.

Budget is hard to tell at this point because I am currently going through a divorce. Not sure what the final settlement as far as support will go. I would guess I should be able to afford at least $1500/month for rent or mortgage.

Hoping not to move again after this, at least not to a different town and school district. May be able to rent for a few years and then buy, but would like to stay in the same town so kids make friends and have some stability.
Given your budget and needs, I would strongly suggest looking into Haddon Township. There are a couple of nice, but affordable apartment complexes in the town and a nice variety of housing stock. The school system is great and there is a PATCO station in town.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 PM

283 posts, read 607,060 times
Agree; your budget is doable in Haddon Township. When you're ready to buy, you may want to check out the Bluebird section, which is just east of Collingswood on the same side of Cuthbert Blvd. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Had a chance to drive through Haddon Township today and it does look like a good fit. Previously I was only familiar with the area along Haddon Ave. I think the area I drove through was called Haddon Hills.

Can you advise on the name and location of some of those nice & affordable apartments you referred to? Will check out Bluebird section too if I can find it. Thanks to all!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 AM

The main apartments are the Haddon View Towers. They are on MacArthur Blvd. near the intersection of Cuthbert Blvd. near the Middle/High School and the Westmont Shopping Center. I think they run from $880 (studio) to $2,055 (3br) and include most utilities.

The other one, whose name escapes me, is located on Crystal Lake Ave. in the "triangle" formed by Crystal Lake Ave. and Park Ave. They aren't the most modern of places, but are in a very nice area.

There is also a complex that lies along Cuthbert Blvd. near the intersection of Emerald Ave.

Outside of that, I would maybe contact a local realtor as there are generally quite a few non-complex rentals in town. Based on the lack of turning up any of the other places names on google, other then Haddon View, it may be a case where there is very limited availability in some of these.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
You could live in the Woodcrest section of Cherry Hill. Old Woodcrest is walking distance of the station. There are two very good elementary schools, two swim clubs, and good shopping in the area, some within walking distance.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM

283 posts, read 607,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philsphan08 View Post
Had a chance to drive through Haddon Township today and it does look like a good fit. Previously I was only familiar with the area along Haddon Ave. I think the area I drove through was called Haddon Hills.

Can you advise on the name and location of some of those nice & affordable apartments you referred to? Will check out Bluebird section too if I can find it. Thanks to all!
Bluebird is directly next to Collingswood. Go to Google Maps and find Conger Ave, Collingswood, NJ. The area just to the right (Burrwood, etc.) is Haddon Township. If you do a search for just Collingswood, you'll see a dashed line in that area. The area to the right of the dashed line to Cuthbert is Bluebird.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM

NJGOAT, I Stopped by the Haddon View Apartments yesterday. Was hoping to speak to someone in the office and look inside a unit, but office is now closed on Sundays even though their website says they're open on Sundays. Did get to speak with a resident who has lived there for over 10 years who had mostly positive things to say about the place. But I don't think this place will work for my situation because the units do not have washer/dryer in them - that's a big deal for me since I have two small kids who go through multiple clothes changes each day. While they do have a pay laundry machine onsite in the building, I think it'd be too difficult to drag the kids along with me every time I need to do laundry.

stuckinsj, I'm very familiar with the Woodcrest section of Cherry Hill. Actually once owned a condo there. I do like the area, but I looked at single family homes there about 3 years ago and I'd say they're probably going to be out of my price range. Not sure what they offer as far as rentals.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM

I had no idea on the washer/dryer thing. I agree that not having them in unit with kids is a major hassle. I wish I had better advice/suggestions on that one. If I may, you may want to contact a local realtor and ask them about rental listings in your price range. They don't charge a fee for this as they are usually compensated by the landlord for bringing in a tenant. Main Street Realty in Collingswood and Barksi-Katinsky Realty, also in Collingswood, are two that many people in the area use/refer people to. They may be able to find you a house/rowhome/twin for rent that is within your budget that has everything you are looking for.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM

584 posts, read 1,424,674 times
You might reach out to a realtor. A realtor is free for the renter (homeowner pays the fee). There is the occasional single family home that becomes available in your price range. There is currently at least one (3bed/1bath) in the Haddon Hills section of town, a few blocks from the Patco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia