Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I understand that but Ocean County as a whole leans more culturally towards Central/North Jersey than it does South Jersey. Lets not forget that the majority of the population in Ocean County is located in the northern half of the county and that's the area where the majority voted against the referendum to secede from the state, which was unlike what the rest of South Jersey did. Keep in mind that this was done back in the 1980's and most will agree that Ocean County has become even more culturally tied to Central/North Jersey nowadays then ever before.
I was talking about So. Ocean County as part of South Jersey, not Ocean County as a whole.

Considering that the C-D moderators refused to title this forum South Jersey before, I don't see them giving in now. They'll find a reason not to go with it and that might be it, considering that not all of South Jersey is in Philadelphia MSA or CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Officially Ocean County is in the NYC MSA, so not part of this. I get what you are saying about southern Ocean being a little more 'Philly/SNJ leaning', but I think most people don't really consider Ocean to be part of "South Jersey". I know quite a few people from Ocean and none of them would say they are from "South Jersey". Back when the secession movement was voted on by referendum; Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Atlantic, Cape May, Cumberland and Salem all voted in the affirmative. While Ocean had a referendum they voted against it. So, as of 1980 I think Ocean is officially "out" of the South Jersey Club, lol.
I am an Ocean County native. ( The northern part for what it is worth) I consider it South Jersey no way that you can call it North Jersey. While it is true that most of the people living in Ocean County are from North Jersey or their parents were. The reason secession was voted down was because of the large amount of transplants from North Jersey who had been living Ocean County for less than 10 or 20 years. Toms River is due east of Center City Philadelphia. If you want to consider places like Burlington and Florence as South Jersey... then so is Ocean County. Many shore towns in Ocean and even some in southern Monmouth County were founded as summer resorts for people from Philadelphia or Trenton. ( i.e. Sea Girt). The railroad went out of Philadelphia through the Pinelands and crossed over on to the Barnegat Peninsula at Seaside Park.

Granted it is not a Philadelphia suburb and definitely more New York influenced and because of the Pinelands the infrastructure ties to Northern NJ better. However we do get Philadelphia channels along with New York on cable and back in High School WMMR came in just as well as WNEW on the radio.

Ocean County along with Atlantic and Cape May counties are really too far from the cities to be a reasonable commute. ( some people do it but its crazy.) They have more in common with each other than with the "real" suburbs of New York or Philadelphia. ( i.e. Montclair or Haddonfield)

Everyone wants to claim the Shore but they see it as a vacation destination not as home. looking at the coverage about Hurricane Sandy from 1000 miles away, I really saw it. The hosts and the Governor lamenting the fact that they can no longer enjoy the Seaside Heights roller coaster, wiht almost no concept of families loosing THEIR home, not a vacation place. Even if you have been going to Ocean City or Lavallette for generations if you don't live there year round you are NOT a local.

A bit rambling but I tire of people from Cherry Hill saying I am not from South Jersey but from North Jersey when I grew up less than a mile from Route 70

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM

23,812 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I am an Ocean County native. ( The northern part for what it is worth) I consider it South Jersey no way that you can call it North Jersey. While it is true that most of the people living in Ocean County are from North Jersey or their parents were. The reason secession was voted down was because of the large amount of transplants from North Jersey who had been living Ocean County for less than 10 or 20 years. Toms River is due east of Center City Philadelphia. If you want to consider places like Burlington and Florence as South Jersey... then so is Ocean County. Many shore towns in Ocean and even some in southern Monmouth County were founded as summer resorts for people from Philadelphia or Trenton. ( i.e. Sea Girt). The railroad went out of Philadelphia through the Pinelands and crossed over on to the Barnegat Peninsula at Seaside Park.

Granted it is not a Philadelphia suburb and definitely more New York influenced and because of the Pinelands the infrastructure ties to Northern NJ better. However we do get Philadelphia channels along with New York on cable and back in High School WMMR came in just as well as WNEW on the radio.

Ocean County along with Atlantic and Cape May counties are really too far from the cities to be a reasonable commute. ( some people do it but its crazy.) They have more in common with each other than with the "real" suburbs of New York or Philadelphia. ( i.e. Montclair or Haddonfield)

Everyone wants to claim the Shore but they see it as a vacation destination not as home. looking at the coverage about Hurricane Sandy from 1000 miles away, I really saw it. The hosts and the Governor lamenting the fact that they can no longer enjoy the Seaside Heights roller coaster, wiht almost no concept of families loosing THEIR home, not a vacation place. Even if you have been going to Ocean City or Lavallette for generations if you don't live there year round you are NOT a local.

A bit rambling but I tire of people from Cherry Hill saying I am not from South Jersey but from North Jersey when I grew up less than a mile from Route 70
I had neighbors in Cherry Hill who moved there from Toms River. They hated Cherry Hill & they hated Philly. They moved back within 2 years because they hated it in Cherry Hill. When the moved back they said that they assumed that moving straight across would be the same, but it wasn't. No one was nasty to them, they simply felt that it was too different.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I had neighbors in Cherry Hill who moved there from Toms River. They hated Cherry Hill & they hated Philly. They moved back within 2 years because they hated it in Cherry Hill. When the moved back they said that they assumed that moving straight across would be the same, but it wasn't. No one was nasty to them, they simply felt that it was too different.
They probably would have hated anywhere. LOL. I grew up 10 miles from Toms River and I dont like TR. Its very sprawly and filled with people from North Jersey and Staten Island. ( and from what friends tell me it has only gotten worse.) I bet they bitched that Toms River wasn't like up North when they lived in TR.

What I have observed is that overall NJ is pretty similar. When you are 1000 miles away it doesnt matter if you meet someone from Cape May or High Point or Cherry Hill or Tenafly we are all from NJ. Some of us are Mets or Yankees/Giants fans some are Phillies/Eagles fans. ( then you have mixed loyalties those who like the Yankees and Eagles. My friend is from Egg Harbor City in Atlantic County and he like the Philadelphia sports teams except for the Flyers... He likes the NJ Devils.) Ocean County is getting more Phillies fans because the Lakewood Blue Claws are a Phillies farm team. Even some of the North Jersey transplants

People from outside NJ think we are all Tony and Carmela Soprano anyway. I have people tell me all the time I don't sound like I'm from NJ, because I don't sound like Vinny on Jersey Shore. Or they ask what its like to live in a big city... don't know I never have. Or the best are those who ask how I like being near the beach now. I live 45 minutes from the beach. I grew up literally 2 blocks from the Ocean, I miss the beach. People are surprised there are beaches in NJ

It seems to me that NJ could be divided on Newark/Hudson County and some of Bergen County (5th Borough of NYC),,, and then the rest of the state.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 AM

23,812 posts, read 34,654,152 times
Quote:
They probably would have hated anywhere. LOL. I grew up 10 miles from Toms River and I dont like TR. Its very sprawly and filled with people from North Jersey and Staten Island. ( and from what friends tell me it has only gotten worse.) I bet they bitched that Toms River wasn't like up North when they lived in TR.

What I have observed is that overall NJ is pretty similar. When you are 1000 miles away it doesnt matter if you meet someone from Cape May or High Point or Cherry Hill or Tenafly we are all from NJ. Some of us are Mets or Yankees/Giants fans some are Phillies/Eagles fans. ( then you have mixed loyalties those who like the Yankees and Eagles. My friend is from Egg Harbor City in Atlantic County and he like the Philadelphia sports teams except for the Flyers... He likes the NJ Devils.) Ocean County is getting more Phillies fans because the Lakewood Blue Claws are a Phillies farm team. Even some of the North Jersey transplants

People from outside NJ think we are all Tony and Carmela Soprano anyway. I have people tell me all the time I don't sound like I'm from NJ, because I don't sound like Vinny on Jersey Shore. Or they ask what its like to live in a big city... don't know I never have. Or the best are those who ask how I like being near the beach now. I live 45 minutes from the beach. I grew up literally 2 blocks from the Ocean, I miss the beach. People are surprised there are beaches in NJ

It seems to me that NJ could be divided on Newark/Hudson County and some of Bergen County (5th Borough of NYC),,, and then the rest of the state.

LOL, think what you want.

Before I got NC plates on my car I was approached by a man w/a North Jersey accent wanting to know "Where are you from in Jersey?" When I said South Jersey he turned around & took off like he was shot out of a cannon. Several locals witnessed this & one asked "How did you do that? We can't get them to go away."

Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, think what you want.

Before I got NC plates on my car I was approached by a man w/a North Jersey accent wanting to know "Where are you from in Jersey?" When I said South Jersey he turned around & took off like he was shot out of a cannon. Several locals witnessed this & one asked "How did you do that? We can't get them to go away."

thats funny! My moms cousin lives in Durham NC... people there are always complaining about all the NJ transplants. I know i am embarrassed by them as well. You see Angela and Vinny stepping out of the Escalade... you turn and walk away

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:

First bold: It may have been a very different dynamic in the 60's and 70's then what it became in the 80's and what it is today. You basically said it yourself, the reason it was voted down is do to the influx of people from Northern NJ. That was 30+ years ago that you say that was true and it has only continued since then.

Second bold: Ocean County is now almost entirely tied culturally and economically to NYC, hence why it is in the NYC MSA. I saw a lot of the change happen over the 90's and early 00's. As the housing boom took hold, people from North Jersey pushed further south and Ocean County is where they went and they went there in droves. The Toms River area is almost entirely "north" when it comes to culture. I know quite a few people who live in the Brick/Toms River area. A lot of them commute to North Jersey or NYC for work. People who grew up in that area from the mid-80's on almost universally identify as being from "North" or at the least "Central" Jersey.

I won't say that YOU aren't from South Jersey if that's where you identify. However, what is now Ocean County isn't really viewed as part of South Jersey and it hasn't been for decades. I'm in my early 30's and I have never considered Ocean County to be part of "South Jersey". Along the shore points, LBI is pretty much the demarkation line between the "north shore" and "south shore" region, meaning its where you are as likely to bump into "Philly" as you are "NYC", though the numbers of "Philly" seem less and less every year. Heck, if I tell most people near me I'm going to LBI, they ask me why I'm going to the shore in "North Jersey".

Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM

402 posts, read 751,870 times
I was at a concert at LBI, the guy made a mistake of saying "hello South Jersey". He got heckled and they started screaming this is north jersey pal.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
Yea us South jersey people have NOTHING in common with the Norf jersey people. They are generally new york rude and all wound up.. We are laid back and much more friendly. After all we are all *farmers* down here in the pine barrens!

Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Yea us South jersey people have NOTHING in common with the Norf jersey people. They are generally new york rude and all wound up.. We are laid back and much more friendly. After all we are all *farmers* down here in the pine barrens!
Keep wallowing in your ignorance, Frank, since it makes you feel superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia