Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM

125 posts, read 210,652 times

Advertisements

Hi!
Just moved to Cherry Hill. We are renting for 2 years and then are buying. We think we are leaning toward buying in the Collingswood Area. It's not 100%, but we love the little town, and being a same sex couple, we like knowing our children will be in school with other children who have same sex parents. And we hear Collingswood is very gay friendly.

Anyway, we are looking for a new family/GP doctor and dentist.
If anyone have any recommendations in the Cherry Hill or Collingswood area. I guess anywhere in the surrounding area would be fine too if the doctor/dentist is great. But I'm not sure where to begin and I don't want to just pick a doctor off my health insurance list.
We have Aetna insurance.

Any recommendations would be great!

Kristin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysable View Post
Hi!
Just moved to Cherry Hill. We are renting for 2 years and then are buying. We think we are leaning toward buying in the Collingswood Area. It's not 100%, but we love the little town, and being a same sex couple, we like knowing our children will be in school with other children who have same sex parents. And we hear Collingswood is very gay friendly.

If anyone have any recommendations in the Cherry Hill or Collingswood area. I guess anywhere in the surrounding area would be fine too if the doctor/dentist is great. But I'm not sure where to begin and I don't want to just pick a doctor off my health insurance list.
We have Aetna insurance.

Kristin
Can't help you with the medical people. Mine are all retired.

Keep in mind that Collingswood schools go down in quality for high school. I wouldn't discount Cherry Hill. My parents bought in Barclay Farms in 1964, in the Sawmill section. THere were 3 gay households within 2 blocks of them & no one cared. There were no children in those household, but that was a different time & generation. Take your time & look around. Keep your eyes & ears open.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM

125 posts, read 210,652 times
Thanks so much. We definitely aren't going to rule out Cherry Hill or surrounding areas. Anything could happen. Just trying to factor everything in.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Thanks so much. We definitely aren't going to rule out Cherry Hill or surrounding areas. Anything could happen. Just trying to factor everything in.
You're welcome. Good luck. My doctor & dentist both retired at the same time that I moved on. My best friend's doctor also retired & she hates the doctor who replaced him. She's looking. . . Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM

155 posts, read 372,113 times
We've been using Mary Farren since moving to Cherry Hill.

I like her.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I live too far too go to him now, but I loved my dentist in Haddon Heights, Dr. Stephen Marcus
Haddon Heights Family Dentistry | Stephen J. Markus, DMD | Haddon Heights, NJ 08035. Besides being a great dentist, he is very cutting edge, personable and made it fun to go to the dentist. He had TV in all the treatment rooms, headsets and endless menus of music for them, even virtual reality goggles for the kids. I like my dentist now but I still miss going to Dr. Marcus.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,985 times
Collingswood has decent elementary schools, but it goes downhill from there. I agree with one poster who suggested that you not discount Cherry Hill schools. They are large, have a good reputation, and have folks who are generally accepting of diversity (at least on the eastside). For instance, there are selected neighborhoods where families have varied ethnicities and are bi racial. Because of this, folks tend to be much more tolerant. My two cents--find your home in a better school district and visit Collingswood.

For quality physicians, check out the Castle Conolly listing. This is a resource wherein other physicians rate their peers.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Collingswood has decent elementary schools, but it goes downhill from there. I agree with one poster who suggested that you not discount Cherry Hill schools. They are large, have a good reputation, and have folks who are generally accepting of diversity (at least on the eastside). For instance, there are selected neighborhoods where families have varied ethnicities and are bi racial. Because of this, folks tend to be much more tolerant. My two cents--find your home in a better school district and visit Collingswood.

For quality physicians, check out the Castle Conolly listing. This is a resource wherein other physicians rate their peers.
Is this a voluntary rating? I put it all my Dr's one at a time and each one came back "there are 0 results for your search".

Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good internal medicine or family medicine doctor in the Turnersville/Sewell area? Would actually prefer an NP, but doctor recommendations will likely lead me to an NP anyway. Was told to call University Doctors in Sewell (part of Rowan School of Medicine) now, but don't want to call and just get any random doc, if possible.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM

283 posts, read 607,365 times
Quote:
Hi!

We have Aetna insurance.

Kristin
Can't help you with a doctor. I go to Davinci Dental in Westmont. They are very good. I live in Collingswood and love it, but I don't have kids in the school system (though there are a lot of younger families moving in around me with kids).

You could try Haddon Township for housing if you want a better ranked K-12 system. Tatem Elementary is the highest ranked school elementary school in Collingswood (it's comparable to Haddon Township). Collingswood Middle and High Schools pale in comparison to their counterparts in Cherry Hill East, but they are better than Philadelphia (in other words, I think that the high school has some issues, but your kids can get a good education in the right classes, etc.).

If you're that concerned, you can always send your kids to private high school if you want to live in Collingswood. It's 15 years away and housing in Cherry Hill East is much more expensive than Collingswood, so you can save the difference for private schooling later if you want to live in Collingswood and don't want to use the schools. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia