Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM

283 posts, read 604,755 times

Advertisements

Also, PATCO is 24/7 and runs constant service. The Riverline does not. I would focus on PATCO if you want to get to Philly on weekends without cabbing it or driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 05:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,785,146 times
Philly to ac is less then an hour by train and its a nice ride. Collingswood is dry, Haddonfield is not. it does not matter cause they are bars jut outside collingswood that you could go to to. + you can byob any to a restaurant in Collingswood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG266 View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback! This would be a "starter home" so in regards to school districts, we're more concerned about elementary schools, maybe even middle schools. We'll probably move again once our "future kids" are ready for high school.

I've heard that Collingswood and Haddonfield were nice. Is it true that both are dry? I heard that Collingswood was but I'm not sure about Haddonfield. Not that its a deal breaker, but we are still in our 20s and like to go out once in a while for a drink with friends. That's one convenient thing about Philly, we can have a drink or two and walk or catch the subway home.

With Cherry Hill, are there trains close by that go to Philly? I wouldn't want to be more than a 10 minute drive to a train station. If we could walk to the station too, that would be even better. What about Pennsauken, is that nice?

Stupid question, is the Riverline the same as PATCO? Or is that NJ Transit? Is it similar to the one that goes to AC? Just curious because the ride to Philly from AC seems pretty slow and long..

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Haddonfield is not..
Haddonfield is definitely dry. You might be thinking of PJ Whelihan's, but that's actually just over the border in Haddon Township. Great BYOBs in Haddonfield though.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 AM

oops. My mistake. We are not big drinkers so that kinda stuff I don't pay much attention to.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,687,726 times
CG266: Any interest in renting? I might be renting out my house and it hits all your criteria. (expect buy vs rent)
Hit me up with a PM if interested. (Haddonfield)

Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM

681 posts, read 1,505,802 times
I'd say Collingswood as well. It IS dry but their is growing talk about changing that. You would get a nice downtown with a load of rated restaurants. You can still be in Philly 24/7 without driving and parking in 12 minutes via PATCO. We live in Collingswood and love it.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:25 PM

16 posts, read 40,311 times
Thanks NatasNJ but we're currently renting in Philly and my husband has the buyer's itch but doesn't think it's worth buying in the city. You get more bang for your buck in the suburbs and he wants a yard. But I appreciate it!

What are the official borders of Collingswood? I've done a few searches on realtor.com and some of the results are listed as Haddon Twp or Oaklyn (even though I limited my results to Collingswood). Is Westmont nice?

Is Collingswood diverse? We're sort of a mixed couple. I'm multi-racial and he's white.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG266 View Post

Is Collingswood diverse? We're sort of a mixed couple. I'm multi-racial and he's white.

Thanks!
You guys will be fine.. Don't worry about such things..

Old 04-25-2013, 08:04 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,905,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
You guys will be fine.. Don't worry about such things..
They asked if there was diversity, not whether they would be ostracized. Many minorities prefer living places in which they constitute beyond at least a certain critical mass. That's why Jews are concentrated in places like Lower Merion, middle class blacks in Cheltenham, Indians in Cherry Hill, etc. etc.

Collingswood has a decent bit of diversity, but Haddon Township and Haddon Heights are almost 100% white, though Haddon Heights High has a decently sized black population by virtue of its sending-receiving relationship with Lawnside, which is about as black as those other two are white.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM

21 posts, read 47,148 times
Collingswood is a great choice for you if you want to be within walking distance of a downtown. Sections of Haddon Twp. are also within a comfortable walking distance.

Collingswood is a dry town but with neighboring Haddon Twp. you shouldn't have a problem going out for drinks when in the mood. When me and my husband lived in Collingswood we took advantage of it being BYOB so much we didn't really miss having places that served alcohol. And when we did, we just went to Haddon Twp.

Collingswood is a bit more diverse than the other neighboring towns but not enough where I would choose Collingswood over the others just based on that alone. My husband and I are an interracial couple. We were fine in Collingswood, all the times we visited in Haddon Twp., as well as where we are in Haddonfield now.

When we first moved to the area we were in a similar position as you all and had much of the same criteria. If I can be of anymore assistance, feel free to PM me. Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia