Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Rage much? Here is the OP...

The area I suggested hits all of the qualifiers and is equidistant between the two commute destinations. Yes, it will take 45-50 minutes to Princeton, but it's the same to Rowan. Move more either way and you will bias the commute to one or the other. The real problem is that the Rowan commuter, if living further north towards Princeton, will be murdered by the 295 south commute at the 76/42 interchange, especially with the construction they are doing over the next decade. Move to an area where that won't be an issue like Collingswood or Haddon Township and you end up staring at an hour and 20+ minute commute to Princeton on a good day. The Medford/Marlton suggestion allows "back road" access via Berlin-Cross Keys, hence avoiding 295 all together for the Rowan commuter and still staying reasonably close to Princeton with a straight shot up 206 to 295.

What's your suggestion?

PS My suggestion for commuting to Manhattan would be Hoboken.
Yup, that's why I suggested Barrington, to give a slight bias to that commuter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM

6 posts, read 13,442 times
All great advice everyone! I plan to make a trip down soon to check neighborhoods out and will start from the many great suggestions.

Best,
J

Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 PM

691 posts, read 3,060,685 times
I would focus on Mount Laurel and Moorestown. Something close to exits 40 or 43 on 295 would be ideal as you would be reverse commuting to GLassboro, and far enough north to avoid most of the congestion on your commute to/from Princeton.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Mt. Laurel is really your best bet. It's right on Rt 73 at exit 4 of the Turnpike and 36 of 295. Can't be a more direct commute to either area than that. 73 gets congested, but you will find ways around it soon enough.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
I would focus on Mount Laurel and Moorestown. Something close to exits 40 or 43 on 295 would be ideal as you would be reverse commuting to GLassboro, and far enough north to avoid most of the congestion on your commute to/from Princeton.
It's not a reverse commute southbound until you pass the mess where 42 & 295 share the road. That part can be hell & backed up for miles if anything goes wrong.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Mt. Laurel is really your best bet. It's right on Rt 73 at exit 4 of the Turnpike and 36 of 295. Can't be a more direct commute to either area than that. 73 gets congested, but you will find ways around it soon enough.
What southbound said. Anywhere north of the 42/76/295 interchange heading south is NOT reverse commuting. The situation will only get worse as the construction really starts up over the next few years. That's why I recommended Medford/Marlton area. It is close enough on the north end for a reasonable drive to Princeton, but gives the Rowan commuter access to back roads like Cross Keys to completely avoid the interchange.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
What southbound said. Anywhere north of the 42/76/295 interchange heading south is NOT reverse commuting. The situation will only get worse as the construction really starts up over the next few years. That's why I recommended Medford/Marlton area. It is close enough on the north end for a reasonable drive to Princeton, but gives the Rowan commuter access to back roads like Cross Keys to completely avoid the interchange.
I know, your suggestion is good. If they want to be a bit closer to Philly, then Barrington gives the Glassboro commuter minimal time sitting in the mess on 295. The Glassboro commuter can also take back roads from Barrington if there's a hideous mess on 295/42/55.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:13 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevino230 View Post
Hello All,

We are leaving the Boston area to NJ for jobs at the end of the summer. My wife got a job at Rowan University in Glassboro and I will be working at Princeton University in Princeton.

We are looking for a place somewhere in between the two. Here are some of the criteria we have.

1. It's a safe neighborhood
2. Looking to rent a 2+ bedroom apt/house/townhouse
3. Price range $1200 - $1800

We know nothing about local taxes or what neighborhoods are "nice". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In just looking at a some directions, it looks like Willingboro would be equal commute. We are ok with having the commute skewed one way if that means living in a nicer town.

Thanks so much!
She will transfer at camden for 313 or 408 preferably 313. You will transfer at trenton at rush trains are timed you get off at princeton jct the shuttle from there takes you to work directly with minimal walking. And best of all no need to mess with I-295
I suggest you look into areas in philly around the trenton line. Or Riverline in NJ that way she can just take 1 train and one bus and you can take a very short train ride river line to NEC. The bus I am talking about is express however. PM me for details and trip times.

To rowan NJT 408 from riverline and to princeton riverline to NEC to NEC connects with timed shuttle trains that stop directly at princeton university.

Fortunately if she leaves in the morning she can use the faster 313 http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1313.pdf there is a 4:31 departure return otherwise this http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0408.pdf 408 is a short walk from rowan university here for details http://www.dougandadrienne.info/njbus/indexsnj.html

Last edited by qjbusmaster; 05-28-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrevino230 View Post
All great advice everyone! I plan to make a trip down soon to check neighborhoods out and will start from the many great suggestions.

Best,
J
If you choose barrington then 455 to 408 or backroads but then again those 2 use backroads to reach rowan or drive down rte 41. From barrington to princeton 403 and riverline to NEC BUT I am not gonna lie your better off with burlington or riverside as the riverline is right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia