Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,976,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle_divr View Post
My partner and I are going to be relocating to NJ from MI in a few weeks. I was hoping to get some opinions from some of you.

We own a home in the Metro Detroit area, and due to the housing market we have been unable to sell it. We plan to rent in NJ for a year or so and then buy later on once our house sells. Keeping in mind that we are renting, we are not concerned with overall investment return, property taxes, or things of that nature.

We have been looking in Camden and Burlington Counties. Gloucester City wasn't our first pick, but it seems to give us all the tings we were looking for:

Close proximity to CC Philly.
City w/ a walkable/ bike friendly downtown close by.
Small yard w/ little to no maintenance.

My only real concern is how close it is to Camden. I don't know if that is something I should be concerned with or not. The city we currently live in actually borders a pretty rough area of Detroit, but our little city is bright, friendly, safe, fun, and in general a great place to live. I am hoping Gloucester City is similar. Please tell me that's the case.

The only thing I have heard really is that Gloucester City has a large Irish population and that is won some sort of white trash award from a radio station?

Honest opinions?

Thanks in advance!
It borders on Camden which at one time in very recent history was the murder capital of the United States.....you might wish to consider other locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle_divr View Post
My partner and I are going to be relocating to NJ from MI in a few weeks. I was hoping to get some opinions from some of you.

We own a home in the Metro Detroit area, and due to the housing market we have been unable to sell it. We plan to rent in NJ for a year or so and then buy later on once our house sells. Keeping in mind that we are renting, we are not concerned with overall investment return, property taxes, or things of that nature.

We have been looking in Camden and Burlington Counties. Gloucester City wasn't our first pick, but it seems to give us all the tings we were looking for:

Close proximity to CC Philly.
City w/ a walkable/ bike friendly downtown close by.
Small yard w/ little to no maintenance.

My only real concern is how close it is to Camden. I don't know if that is something I should be concerned with or not. The city we currently live in actually borders a pretty rough area of Detroit, but our little city is bright, friendly, safe, fun, and in general a great place to live. I am hoping Gloucester City is similar. Please tell me that's the case.

The only thing I have heard really is that Gloucester City has a large Irish population and that is won some sort of white trash award from a radio station?

Honest opinions?

Thanks in advance!
If you are looking for walkable historic towns that give you easy access to Center City look at the suburbs along the PATCO train line. Towns such as Collingswood, Haddon Township, and Haddonfield are excellent safe towns with all the convieniences you require. Good luck on the move and welcome to NJ.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
originally posted Old 11-01-2007

Old 07-11-2009, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,864 times
I am moving from Voorhees to Gloucester City in 2 weeks! I met more friendly people in Gcity in 10 minutes than I have in 25 years in Voorhees. The farmer's market is wonderful, the town is clean, the shops are fun, and the marina is going to plump up the economy to the point where we won't be able to afford to purchase a home there in 2 years so we're doing it NOW! I have not met with any prejudices and I am Cherokee/Chickamagua & Shawnee. I will be opening my business there, as well. I've been shown nothing but graciousness and friendship, there. I can't imagine what the other posters saw that I didn't see but if I encounter any prejudices I will certainly try to turn them into teaching moments. The taxes are low, the proximity to Philly is awesome, and the town has opened its arms to my family. I can't wait to move!!

Old 01-01-2017, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,801 times
Interested in purchasing a home in Gloucester City. The posts above are older. Any comments appreciated as to the safety.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:27 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
Nothing has changed. If you are white and racist you may like living there but you couldn't pay me to live in that dump of a town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia