Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM

32 posts, read 193,009 times

Advertisements

I've read the various reports, we have seen a few homes in these areas that we like, but I would like to get some first hand info on the public schools from elementary through High School.

Any info/opinions anyone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 AM

32 posts, read 193,009 times
No one has lived or is living in these areas ?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM

274 posts, read 1,401,307 times
They are not as strong as the school districts north of them (i.e. in Camden Co.). Until pretty recently the area around Deptford and particularly Glassboro was very rural. You had mainly working class people who worked in farming or other industry like the refineries, who lived there. You did not have professional white collar workers living there until the housing boom.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 78,714 times
I grew up in Mantua Terrace and went through the Deptford Township school system through 10th grade. (After the Philadelphia Naval Ship Yard closed my family relocated to NW PA)

Overall, the school system was quite good. I went to Pine Acres for Elementary, it seems they've changed it to an early childhood school now. We had a very small class size (Which is probably why they changed the school) with wonderful teachers.

The area itself was great, I'm unsure if there has been any decline as I've been away for a long time now. We lived right along Route 45, yet did not have to lock our doors. I rode my bicycle to my friend's houses all the time, with my parents and myself feeling quite safe. I also walked home from school without issue. (Which is a stark contrast to how I feel down here outside of Atlanta.)

I'd move back in a heartbeat to raise children, as I only have fond memories of my childhood and schooling experience.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM

18 posts, read 31,077 times
The schools are okay, although there are a few that are alot better than others. Some of the best are Pitman and Clearview.

Woodbury-Average
Deptford-Above-Average
Gateway (Wenonah, National Park, Woodbury, Westville)-Average
Pitman-Above-Average
Clearview (Mantua and Harrison)-Above Average
GCIT (anyone in Gloucester County)-Above Average
Kingsway(South Harrison)-Average

Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenjes16 View Post
The schools are okay, although there are a few that are alot better than others. Some of the best are Pitman and Clearview.

Woodbury-Average
Deptford-Above-Average
Gateway (Wenonah, National Park, Woodbury, Westville)-Average
Pitman-Above-Average
Clearview (Mantua and Harrison)-Above Average
GCIT (anyone in Gloucester County)-Above Average
Kingsway(South Harrison)-Average
Kingsway covers Swedesboro, Logan, Woolwich, East Greenwich and South Harrison. In terms of rankings and things, it's the best school on that list. I would rank them like this...

Kingsway
Clearview/Pitman/GCIT
Deptford
Gateway/Woodbury
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia