U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 12,452 times

Advertisements

My husband I will be moving to Gloucester Township in a few weeks. I work in CC Philly and he works in Vineland. I'm originally from Philly area (Chestnut Hill) and am fairly familiar with the major roads in NJ. Just wanted to know if there were any other options besides 42 to get to CC in the mornings (which I hear is a nightmare if I don't leave before 7am).

Also, while I prefer driving, if the commute is unbearable I'd like to know what are the best modes of public transportation from Gloucester Township to CC. So far my map tells me a drive into the closest PATCO station (Lindenwold) is the best option but I wanted to make sure that was the only/best option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:40 PM

24,657 posts, read 37,401,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-NJ Gal View Post
My husband I will be moving to Gloucester Township in a few weeks. I work in CC Philly and he works in Vineland. I'm originally from Philly area (Chestnut Hill) and am fairly familiar with the major roads in NJ. Just wanted to know if there were any other options besides 42 to get to CC in the mornings (which I hear is a nightmare if I don't leave before 7am).

Also, while I prefer driving, if the commute is unbearable I'd like to know what are the best modes of public transportation from Gloucester Township to CC. So far my map tells me a drive into the closest PATCO station (Lindenwold) is the best option but I wanted to make sure that was the only/best option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I think you're pretty much already on point; when I lived in Gloucester Twp I just rode up Blackwood-Clementon Road to 42 and went to Center City that way. I worked off hours so it wasn't too bad. I guess it would probably be much worse now, especially in the early morning. I also think taking PATCO from Lindenwold is your best bet in terms of public transportation.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 9,665,278 times
Depending where you are in Gloucester Twp. it may be a similar distance to get to the Ashland or Woodcrest PATCO stations which would be further up on the line.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 PM

512 posts, read 969,250 times
This is the exact reason why NJT should build the Glassboro light rail.... so you wont have to drive everywhere.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,696,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
This is the exact reason why NJT should build the Glassboro light rail.... so you wont have to drive everywhere.
Depending on where we are talking about in Gloucester Twp. the proposed rail will most likely not be of use to them and definitely not for the Vineland commuter. IF (yes, that's a big if) the line gets built it won't be complete until 2019 and they are expecting to hit 18,000 daily riders by 2030. 18,000 daily riders won't put a dent in the Route 42 traffic heading into Philly just like the RiverLine hasn't alleviated north-south traffic on 295 or Route 130.

Not to mention with a $1.6 billion price tag that no one wants to fund, it seems like the $46 million rapid bus system is going to be the way they go.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM

yeah but if your one of the 18,000 you dont have to sit in traffic... try putting 18,000 more cars a day on the 42 and you will see the value of mass transit.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM

btw... the 1.6 billion is a misnomer... and misleading... half will come from the feds. the BRT for the 42 is probably going to go nowhere or limited to bus service on breakdown lanes.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM

14,781 posts, read 41,696,526 times
Quote:
yeah but if your one of the 18,000 you dont have to sit in traffic... try putting 18,000 more cars a day on the 42 and you will see the value of mass transit.
No, you just have to sit on the train. The curiosity is whether this alleviates current congestion/demand or is simply creating a new market. Again, I am not against transit despite your insistence that I am.

Quote:
btw... the 1.6 billion is a misnomer... and misleading... half will come from the feds. the BRT for the 42 is probably going to go nowhere or limited to bus service on breakdown lanes.
BTW...$800 million Fed + $800 million state/local still equals $1.6 billion and taxpayers are footing the bill one way or the other.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM

8 posts, read 12,452 times
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'm not far from Sicklerville Road so I'm figuring I'll try the commute for a week since I'm very close to 42 and see how it goes and if its too cumbersome I'll take the PATCO. Are there any major differences between the Lindenwold stations vs the other stations (i.e Ashland, etc.)? I'm assuming in terms of proximity Lindenwold would be the best?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Id rather have people in Utah paying for SJ transit than the other way around. SLC got 80% funding for an 11 mile rail line (mostly through farm fields)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia