Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM

478 posts, read 700,606 times

Advertisements

I've been in Florida for a year and a half.....I've hardly lost touch with the area. The study/ranking speaks for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:42 AM

478 posts, read 700,606 times
To Mister Statistics.....have you considered a career as a stand up comedian !

Old 08-30-2013, 08:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Isnt Marlton in Evesham Township. I never understood why people do not mention evesham when talking about Marlton. Its like saying Woodcrest without mentioning Cherry Hill.
A little history lesson...

When the area was first settled in 1672 it was called Evesham. In 1692 it was formally named Evesham Township and became one of the 13 original townships of Burlington. It was much larger than it is today and originally encompassed what is today Evesham and all of what is now Mount Laurel, Medford, Hainesport, Lumberton, Shamong and parts of Washington.

In the early 1800's marl (mix of green clay and shells used for fertilizer) was discovered in a section of Evehsam. That spurred a rapid building boom and growth around the marl pits and led to that area being known as "Marlton". "Marlton" became well known as the marl mined there was exported all over the region. That area had been recognized as a village previously in the late 1700's, but in 1845 the village officially named itself Marlton. Since everyone knew Marlton, the post office and local church were changed from Evesham to Marlton in name. Between 1847 and 1872 large tracts of the township were cut to form other areas. What was left was basically the farms and marl pits around Marlton village.

While what was left was still technically Evesham Township, everyone called it Marlton in reference to the village and its famous marl pits. Basically there was an area of Evesham Township that was known as Marlton. Overtime Evesham Township was cut down to the point the only area left was the section known as Marlton.

Today the original village of Marlton remains a census designated area within Evesham Township. The name of Marlton, while already locally popular was heavily reinforced when the highways were built. Exits were generally named for the towns/villages they connected to, not the surrounding townships. So, there are no signs that say Evesham Township on the roads, just ones that point to Marlton. You see the same thing a lot in Gloucester County where the exits will go to places like Mt. Royal, Mickleton, Bridgeport, Repaupo, Beckett and Mullica Hill instead of to East Greenwich Township, Logan Township and Harrison Township, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Rancocas Valley is an AVERAGE school. They may have nice teachers but academically, they are average and doesn't prepare student well for post secondary school.
I agree that it is an average school. Holy Cross draws most of their students from the RV sending districts for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Rancocas Valley an average school ? I think not....at least not according to the latest ranking of high schools from NJ.Com....a recognized highly credible source. Rancocas received a "B" rating....the same as Haddonfield and one grade behind Moorestown which received an A. Being comparable to those two school districts which everyone seems to recognize as the best is hardly average.
I won't get into the tit-for-tat over that ranking report, but I don't agree with your interpretation. Also, school rankings and studies lists are a dime a dozen with each using different criteria. In general RV comes out as an average school. For a quick comparison I personally like greatschools.org as they give a simple number on a 1-10 scale. A 5 is average for the state the school is in. Above or below 5 means above or below average and the degree to which that is true.

Greatschools ranks RV as a 6 which is better than their previous ranking which hovered around 4/5 for the past several years. So, it would seem as stated in that report that RV has gotten better. However, as sj08054 was pointing out "better" does not necessarily mean "best".

Haddonfield and Cherry Hill East are ranked 10. Moorestown is ranked 9. Shawnee is ranked 8. Cherokee, Seneca and Lenape are ranked 7. Those are all schools that were lumped into the "B" and "A" categories on that report and all are better than RV when additional factors are considered.

So yes, RV is an average to slightly above/below average school as is Hainesports district in general (also ranked a 6). I think what makes the "averageness" of RV standout is the fact that is surrounded by districts and regionals that are well above average and are consistently well above average. RV's ranking is a new thing and maybe the school really is in ascendence, time will tell. However, I wouldn't bank on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia