Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
I think it should be razed. The area should be redesigned for small shops, and somehow designed with continuity in mind to the other adjancent center with the Sakura Spring Japanese restaurant. That center is successful with no vacancies.

The Sakura Springs strip mall is in deep decline with many vacancies and has been for quite a few years. Most of the remaining stores are not even retail but small businesses that probably couldnt pay higher rent in a better shopping center. The parking lot is mostly empty. There is probably too much retail in SJ given the Population. New retail strip malls keep opening on farmland making the old ones less competitive. If you look closely many of the older ones were hit very hard by the recession and probably wont come back. Given the state of Sprawl in SJ and the country, i think it would be better to preserve more farmland and concentrate development not just in older areas but in walkable older areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
The Sakura Springs strip mall is in deep decline with many vacancies and has been for quite a few years. Most of the remaining stores are not even retail but small businesses that probably couldnt pay higher rent in a better shopping center. The parking lot is mostly empty. There is probably too much retail in SJ given the Population. New retail strip malls keep opening on farmland making the old ones less competitive. If you look closely many of the older ones were hit very hard by the recession and probably wont come back. Given the state of Sprawl in SJ and the country, i think it would be better to preserve more farmland and concentrate development not just in older areas but in walkable older areas.
It's a really small center, but I agree it's not healthy. However, the Sakura Springs restaurant seemed busy. The other prime end has an Entenmann’s Bakery Outlet.

That area of 70 is challenged because it's 4 lanes on both 70 E and 70 W, and difficult to make a U-Turn from the opposing side. It's also confusing whether the 3rd right lane is the far most right lane and motorists tend to drive fast and not really likely to look for businesses there. But there are some businesses, including some niche ones, including Relax the Back, on the opposing side, and H-Mart further down, that manage to work there. I'm surprised Syms lasted so long. But now it's closed and it's a huge eyesore shell on 70 now.

Last edited by avg12; 03-01-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM

Moorestown Mall is adding a Corner Bakery Cafe and Distrito, a full restaurant. It's adding some boutique space by the Boscov's.
Charlotte Russe opened up in the mall, filling the need for a girl store.

However, The Shoe Dept. apparently is gone. It used to be in both Echelon and Moorestown Malls. Now, the nearest location is Audubon Crossings, off mall site, which isn't convenient for those in the CH area. Perhaps it will look for off mall space somewhere.

A new Dunkin Donuts opened in Marlton in one of the plazas near the Marlton Car Wash. They made it very laptop/gadget friendly with a power outlet and USB outlet with every table, in attempt likely to lure the Starbucks customers who sit at Starbucks working on Macs.

Last edited by avg12; 03-01-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 AM

161 posts, read 344,575 times
Quote:
There is still a leasing/space available sign in that plaza, so maybe the International Food and Vegetable store didn't pan out. The plaza should try to get Trader Joes.
It looks like it is going to be an Indian food store, probably the area's largest. This is from today's Courier-Post article about retail updates:

"Stay tuned for more information, but we hear an Indian food store is coming to Maple Shade.

On Feb. 26, the borough’s planning board approved the application of Apna Desh Food LLC to operate a South Asian/Indian grocery at the former Bally’s Total Fitness Center at routes 38 and 73.

The site, at the Lowe’s shopping center, is a 20,000-square-foot building, so this would likely be the area’s largest Indian store. An opening is expected in two to three months."

More retail updates from the same article:

*Mount Royal Bagel Co. opened in January in the Marlton Crossing Shopping Center off Route 73.
*Cycle Gear has also opened up shop on Rt. 70 in Cherry Hill.
*Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa will open a second Cherry Hill location at the former Pier 1 Imports on Haddonfield Rd. in Cherry Hill. They already have one at Garden State Park, but apparently need a second location to keep up with the demand.

www.courierpostonline.com/article/20140307/BUSINESS20/303070026/STOREFRONT-Retailer-Cycle-Gear-rolls-into-South-Jersey

Old 03-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
It looks like it is going to be an Indian food store, probably the area's largest. This is from today's Courier-Post article about retail updates:

"Stay tuned for more information, but we hear an Indian food store is coming to Maple Shade.

On Feb. 26, the borough’s planning board approved the application of Apna Desh Food LLC to operate a South Asian/Indian grocery at the former Bally’s Total Fitness Center at routes 38 and 73.

The site, at the Lowe’s shopping center, is a 20,000-square-foot building, so this would likely be the area’s largest Indian store. An opening is expected in two to three months."

More retail updates from the same article:

*Mount Royal Bagel Co. opened in January in the Marlton Crossing Shopping Center off Route 73.
*Cycle Gear has also opened up shop on Rt. 70 in Cherry Hill.
*Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa will open a second Cherry Hill location at the former Pier 1 Imports on Haddonfield Rd. in Cherry Hill. They already have one at Garden State Park, but apparently need a second location to keep up with the demand.

www.courierpostonline.com/article/20140307/BUSINESS20/303070026/STOREFRONT-Retailer-Cycle-Gear-rolls-into-South-Jersey
That's good news of tenancy. I know some Burlington county Indians going to Bensalem and Mercer County so this might keep some business in So. NJ. I hope that the store is well kept and clean, and more inviting than the Cherry Hill Subzi Mandi which thinks a downscale appearance and low quality product for the Indian market is fine.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 AM

The Berlin Wal-Mart is now a Walmart SuperCenter. It's actually been so since October but Wal-Mart's website doesn't reflect the change. I knew it was undergoing renovation and expansion but didn't follow up on it until I passed it recently and saw two entrances with one having "Market".

I called and inquired still since the website doesn't distinguish it as Super Walmart like the Somerdale one. There is still a vacant Pizza Hut pad in front of the store though.

Last edited by avg12; 03-08-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
The Berlin Wal-Mart is now a Walmart SuperCenter. It's actually been so since October but Wal-Mart's website doesn't reflect the change. I knew it was undergoing renovation and expansion but didn't follow up on it until I passed it recently and saw two entrances with one having "Market".

I called and inquired still since the website doesn't distinguish it as Super Walmart like the Somerdale one. There is still a vacant Pizza Hut pad in front of the store though.
Do you know if this is one of the Wal-Mart expansions that was opposed? I seem to recall reading a CP article years ago about some towns opposing Wal-Mart's plans for SuperCenter expansions.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
Do you know if this is one of the Wal-Mart expansions that was opposed? I seem to recall reading a CP article years ago about some towns opposing Wal-Mart's plans for SuperCenter expansions.
Wal-Mart wanted to build another store in Berlin, NJ:
BERLIN CROSS-KEYS RESIDENTS AGAINST WALMART, INC v. BOROUGH OF BERLIN LAND USE BOARD :: 2009 :: New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division - Unpublished Decisions :: New Jersey Case Law :: US Case Law :: US Law :: Justia

Wal-Mart finds a frosty reception Opposition getting organized. - Philly.com

While Wal-Mart didn't state it was a move, it was most likely a move. Wal-Mart prefers moving from one site to another, but leaving a shell of an old store behind, rather than expanding an existing store.

Since that plan panned out, it finally upgraded the existing Berlin store. I have no idea what was wrong with the 73 store's location, maybe less sq. footage.

Last edited by avg12; 03-15-2014 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 AM

1. It looks like we have a suitor for part of the old Pathmark in Cherry Hill! According to the latest reality brochure for the shopping center, the space is being subdivided and a Save-A-Lot is proposed for one of the three spots. (around 17k sqft)

2. Whole Foods has announced they will open their new Cherry Hill store at Ellisburg sc on June 18th. I drove by the shopping center the other day, and renovations to the rest of the center are progressing very fast.

2a. The post office has also left its spot at the Ellisburg SC after its lease expired. According to a Philly.com article, the landlord has other uses for their store space. They have let the post office relocate temporarily into a trailer in the Playdrome parking lot until they find a new location.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 PM

Coldwater Creek is closing and having sales. It has stores in Cherry Hill and Marlton in pretty good shopping centers. Apparently the entire chain is shutting down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia