Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
All the high taxes are in NORTH Jersey. here in South Jersey its like any other Delaware valley burb as far as taxes. And you are dead wrong besides. The top 20 in the country 2 are in jersey and both up North. We pay LESS then a co worker in a Philly pa burb with a smaller home too.

Full List: Where Americans Pay Most In Property Taxes - Forbes
LOL you love that cherry picked anecdote, don't you? In any event, taxes are significantly lower down the Shore relative to the Philly suburbs on either side of the River.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 08-14-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
LOL you love that cherry picked anecdote, don't you? In any event, taxes are significantly lower down the Shore relative to the Philly suburbs on either side of the River.
I googled it and it was the first one to pop up. No cherry picking. And yes the shore is very low taxes. A friend with a 1.3 mil dollar home in Avalon pays $12k a year for taxes. Dirt cheap

Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I googled it and it was the first one to pop up. No cherry picking. And yes the shore is very low taxes. A friend with a 1.3 mil dollar home in Avalon pays $12k a year for taxes. Dirt cheap
Actually, that's the definition of cherry picking.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 PM

Oh then I cherry picked

Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Oh then I cherry picked
That's irrelevant to the OP's concerns anyway. Either way, we definitely agree that South Jersey can be a perfectly reasonable place to retire, depending on one's wants and needs.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM

478 posts, read 700,661 times
Dead wrong ? I think not. The facts show that of the top ten highest taxed counties in terms of real estate taxes paid NJ has 7 of the top ten including Nassau, Bergen, Hunterdon, Essex, Passaic, Morris, Union and Somerset Counties. In terms of median real estate taxes paid as a percentage of the median home value Camden County, which is not in the north, is number 8 on the list of the top ten in the US and in terms of the highest taxed states in terms of median real estate taxes paid New Jersey is number ONE at the top of the list. I would suggest that you stop trying to convince yourself that the NJ tax situation isn't as bad as it really is.....when your absolutely the worst its bad and definitely does not qualify you as a retirement friendly state.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Dead wrong ? I think not. The facts show that of the top ten highest taxed counties in terms of real estate taxes paid NJ has 7 of the top ten including Nassau, Bergen, Hunterdon, Essex, Passaic, Morris, Union and Somerset Counties. In terms of median real estate taxes paid as a percentage of the median home value Camden County, which is not in the north, is number 8 on the list of the top ten in the US and in terms of the highest taxed states in terms of median real estate taxes paid New Jersey is number ONE at the top of the list. I would suggest that you stop trying to convince yourself that the NJ tax situation isn't as bad as it really is.....when your absolutely the worst its bad and definitely does not qualify you as a retirement friendly state.
Like I said. ALL North Jersey counties. Down here in South Jersey its like any other Philly burb. LIke I said we pay LESS then a co worker with a smaller home in Abington pa.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 AM

478 posts, read 700,661 times
I wasn't aware they moved Camden County to the North of New Jersey ?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 AM

397 posts, read 813,647 times
My 2 cents..........All I know is, I lived in South Jersey all my life. The taxes are OUTRAGEOUS !!

I lived in Camden, Salem and Gloucester counties. My last home was in Gloucester County..Mantua Twp.

My taxes there were $4000 + a year, and that was cheap compared to most areas.

I moved to Florida 2 years ago, bought a home almost twice the size and my taxes are $1100 a year.

I REST MY CASE !!!

You can retire on social security in alot of places in this country. But, not in New Jersey.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 AM

I guess its different for all but $4k for taxes for a single home is cheap no matter where you are (for good areas) up here in the NE ..

If NJ is outrageous I guess so is pa too.. jEEZE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia