Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,623 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

We just looked at some new construction in Deptford and know nothing about the area. We looked at the new development that Ryan Homes is putting in called Tanyard Acres. Price point is mid/high 200's.

We know absolutely nothing about the area. My office is in Princeton and I am always on the road. We have 2 young girls, so schools are important to us. This is about on the far end of the commute I would be willing to do.

Is Deptford ok? Are the schools ok? If we are lookign in Deptford - are there other towns we'd be stupid for not looking at also?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

~Joey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
Hi Everyone!

We just looked at some new construction in Deptford and know nothing about the area. We looked at the new development that Ryan Homes is putting in called Tanyard Acres. Price point is mid/high 200's.

We know absolutely nothing about the area. My office is in Princeton and I am always on the road. We have 2 young girls, so schools are important to us. This is about on the far end of the commute I would be willing to do.

Is Deptford ok? Are the schools ok? If we are lookign in Deptford - are there other towns we'd be stupid for not looking at also?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

~Joey
Look elsewhere. THe schools are not that great. A lot of new construction in Deptford is on the site of former pig farms.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 AM

633 posts, read 1,012,545 times
I would not move to Deptford. Not the greatest area - plus your commute will take longer than you think it will! Look further north, or possibly over the bridge up by where you will be working, in PA.

Cherry Hill NJ would be ok, or Mt. Laurel.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Look at Cinnaminson Harbor on the river. Same Ryan homes at the same price but much better schools.

New Construction Homes for Sale in Cinnaminson Harbour Townhomes - Ryan Homes

Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
I agree with everyone else. There are much better options closer to Princeton for similar money that will also land you in a better school district. With a Princeton commute, I would ideally want to be north of exit 36/40 (NJ 73/38) on 295 as my start/stop point. That places you north of the worst traffic and gives you plenty of options for good communities.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:38 AM

128 posts, read 355,144 times
Ryan homes has also broken ground on new townhomes in the Westampton area. (I sent you a DM). Not sure what their delivery dates are, but it might be worth looking into. There are also some nice townhomes in Burlington Twp being built by Lennar.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,693 times
I live one town over, in a town of somewhat similar demographics, and we are considering a move to Deptford.

I consider Deptford to be a very typical South Jersey school district.
Your kids will be be safe there. There are great opportunities for advancement and moving on to college. The streets are safe. Many parks. But like every other school district, there are problems that children need to be aware of.

That being said... the core of the town (in my opinion) is more blue-collar... although significant development has brought in pricier homes and many professional people. As others have posted, towns like Mt Laurel, or Princeton probably have better successes in the districts, but I personally put a lot more weight into the numbers of professional parents are higher in those towns... and I think that correlates to more student successes.

Deptford and neighboring towns can be a great balance of value vs schools and safety.
Yes Mt Laurel has the potential to be better, but that $240,000 house in Deptford is $370,000 in Mt Laurel... and probably about 5,000 more in property taxes per year. For that difference you could pick the best private school in the area for your kids if you were really concerned.

One thing that concerns me about that specific development, is.. as others mentioned... Deptford used to be a huge pig farming town. 100+ at one time. A news story (on Youtube) says there are now only 3 and it seems they wont be around for long. Unfortunately I think at least 2 of those pig farms are in the tanyard rd area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia