U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 05:29 PM

125 posts, read 178,923 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I are in the middle of house hunting, we went to a couple open houses today and fell in love with a house in Collingswood. We have already been preapproved for a mortage, so we feel like we should jump on this house as soon as possible. The house is on Comly Ave by Thomas Sharp elementary. The zip is 08107.
Collingswood is one of the towns we're interested in moving to, in addition to Haddon Township, Haddonfield and Haddon Heights. We want to move to an area that has a good, accepting community (we are a same sex couple), with a town-feel to it too. I just want to get more of an idea of this area. It's in the 08107 zip code area, and I know that Oaklyn is in that zipcode as well. Just want to make sure it's in a safe location. We walked around the block, and it does seem like a nice neighborhood, but a lot of twin houses. Just wanted to get input from others. Should we keep looking?

Also, we don't have any kids yet, but we are in the middle of trying as well. So schools are important too, and I constantly hear how Collingswood school district is good up until the High School, then it's iffy. But that can always change in 15 years.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by daysable; 09-21-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:44 PM

584 posts, read 1,281,535 times
In my opinion that part of town is just ok...it goes downhill pretty quickly once you cross over RTE 130 - which this house isn't far from. The area of Collingswood closer to Haddon Ave is nicer, and has more amenities and will have more of that town-feel.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:05 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,505,420 times
That's considered Oaklyn to locals. It's an ok area but not great. Thomas Sharp is considered the worst elementary school in the district and parents try to avoid it like the plague. You want to be west of Knight Park.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:17 PM

14,781 posts, read 38,581,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
That's considered Oaklyn to locals. It's an ok area but not great. Thomas Sharp is considered the worst elementary school in the district and parents try to avoid it like the plague. You want to be west of Knight Park.
???????

I was born and raised in Collingswood and I've never heard anyone refer to that area as "Oaklyn". Pretty much everyone refers to it as "West Collingswood". The only point of confusion out that way is where does Collingswood end and Haddon Township begin; Champion Ave.

The rest I agree with. Sharp has always been the worst of the elementaries and probably because it has so many low cost apartment complexes and multi-family houses in its sending district. If I was considering Collingswood to raise a family, I would stay east of Route 30 and look in the sending areas for Tatem and Zane North.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 AM

212 posts, read 560,006 times
The school district seems to have allocated a number of resources to Sharp over the last few years to work with the high rate of student turnover at the school. The current principal seems to be doing a lot to increase student/family involvement. If you are seriously considering a house, I would call/email the principal and talk to him/her. We did that 10 years ago when we moved to Collingswood and it help us make our purchase decision. Following is the Collingswood Schools page for Sharp - check it out Thomas Sharp Elementary School

Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Threads View Post
The school district seems to have allocated a number of resources to Sharp over the last few years to work with the high rate of student turnover at the school. The current principal seems to be doing a lot to increase student/family involvement. If you are seriously considering a house, I would call/email the principal and talk to him/her. We did that 10 years ago when we moved to Collingswood and it help us make our purchase decision. Following is the Collingswood Schools page for Sharp - check it out Thomas Sharp Elementary School
Unfortunately if they are claiming the root issue is the transience, I don't see how much they can do to really fix the problem. A large portion of Sharp's sending area are low cost apartments and multi-family housing (and attract people from certain areas looking to get out), those folks are always going to be transient. You probably have half a class cohort that stays stable and the remaining portion is changing over every year or two. Those kids that are changing over probably move every year or two like clockwork, leave and enter districts in the middle of the year, etc. They aren't going to be able to fix that and it really isn't the best environment for the kids who are stable.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM

1,618 posts, read 3,505,420 times
Sorry, that was supposed to be EAST of Knight Park.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM

125 posts, read 178,923 times
Thanks for all the responses.
We actually didn't put a bid on the house. We were told by a couple of our friends that grew up in Collingswood to avoid that area, especially Thomas Sharp. Also, I didn't like what I read about T Sharp on greatschools.org.
So are going to continue to look.
We may kick Collingswood in general off our list, but we will see.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daysable View Post
Thanks for all the responses.
We actually didn't put a bid on the house. We were told by a couple of our friends that grew up in Collingswood to avoid that area, especially Thomas Sharp. Also, I didn't like what I read about T Sharp on greatschools.org.
So are going to continue to look.
We may kick Collingswood in general off our list, but we will see.
If schools are really that important, than the other three towns; Haddonfield, Haddon Heights and Haddon Township are all better choices. Haddon Township is going to have housing in similar price ragnes to Collingswood, Haddon Heights will be a step up from that and Haddonfield will be the most expensive of all. Unless you have a budget of $400k+, then I would just take Haddonfield off the list as well and focus on Haddon Township and Heights. You may also want to add Audubon to your list as well. Generally more affordable than Heights or even Township and a good school system as well.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,447,375 times
There are sections in Haddonfield that can be had well under 400k. Upper 200's though is basically starting point.
You can get a nice in a few sections for 300's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia