U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 14,092 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to move from North Jersey to South Jersey/Philadelphia area. Want all the typical things: good schools, close and warm/friendly community, nice homes that will keep their values (like older rather than new). However, the issue for us is diversity. We are a biracial couple (Indian and white) and we are struggling with how we'll feel living in a community like Haddonfield, even though we LOVE everything else about it. We know what it was like in the past and don't really need a history lesson in terms of anti-semitism, racism etc.. Just wondering how it is NOW? I have looked at the demographics from 2010, but am wondering if there's been an increase in diversity?

Can anyone who is a biracial couple or of another ethnicity other than white attest to their comfort level/happiness with living in Haddonfield or Moorestown? Thanks for your input.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:26 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,793,327 times
Moorsetown/Mt Laurel has a larger Indian community I think because a lot of big companies are located in the Moorestown area around the Turnpike. Friends of ours from Mumbai live in Moorestown. He works closer to Philly and she works at a company near the Moorestown mall.

Haddonfield does seem kind of stuck up socially. I girl I know from a moms group lives in Haddonfield and was just accepted to the local Daughters of the American Revolution. She went to her first meeting and told me she was confused as to why there was a black lady there. Lets just say we sicked our history professor on her to set her straight.

That said. Its not BAD. No one will be mean to your face in Haddonfield and its getting better as younger people move in. But Moorestown seems to have gone farther than Haddonfield in a shorter amount of time. Rent first to get a feel for the areas before you buy. Even if it's on a month to month lease.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:26 AM

Thanks! The town we live in now is not that diverse and we have never felt uncomfortable or out of place. But I think part of that is because we are surrounded with diversity in this greater area of NJ, and down there... just not sure.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM

7,780 posts, read 20,697,428 times
You will be fine where you go. People are people and you will find a few bad apples in every bunch

Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 34,631 times
I have some of the same questions as StephisLookingtoMove, though I'm speaking as someone currently living in the northern Philly suburbs. My husband and I love our house, but we are on a busy street, part of a sprawling suburb where there isn't much of a sense of "community." We both love the feel of Haddonfield and think it could be a good place to raise our now 7m/o son, but our experiences there are as visitors, not residents. How welcoming of a community is it? Is it the kind of place where neighbors know each other, socialize, etc, or is it closed off? We aren't biracial, but I'm Jewish and he is a non-practicing Anglican (agnostic but British and raised in the Church of England). I realize it's impossible to say whether we'd "fit in" without knowing us, but...well, would we fit in there? We are both writers who work from home (him: non-fiction/policy/economics, me: fiction), so we are looking for a walkable location with a strong sense of community, since we don't get that from an office everyday. Are we barking up the wrong tree? What is it like to *live* in Haddonfield, as opposed to just visiting?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,194,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag556 View Post
I have some of the same questions as StephisLookingtoMove, though I'm speaking as someone currently living in the northern Philly suburbs. My husband and I love our house, but we are on a busy street, part of a sprawling suburb where there isn't much of a sense of "community." We both love the feel of Haddonfield and think it could be a good place to raise our now 7m/o son, but our experiences there are as visitors, not residents. How welcoming of a community is it? Is it the kind of place where neighbors know each other, socialize, etc, or is it closed off? We aren't biracial, but I'm Jewish and he is a non-practicing Anglican (agnostic but British and raised in the Church of England). I realize it's impossible to say whether we'd "fit in" without knowing us, but...well, would we fit in there? We are both writers who work from home (him: non-fiction/policy/economics, me: fiction), so we are looking for a walkable location with a strong sense of community, since we don't get that from an office everyday. Are we barking up the wrong tree? What is it like to *live* in Haddonfield, as opposed to just visiting?
I had a friend who used to live in Haddonfield and they stretched financially to do it. They were a typical "WASP" couple and the archetype for the community outside of their income level. They felt welcome and their daughters made plenty of friends in school. They were invited to socialize, but found themselves quickly "out of their league" financially. They ended up selling the house and moving to somewhere where they fit in better socio-economically. They still like Haddonfield, it just wasn't for them.

If you can legitimiately afford to live there and you fit the mold socio-economically, I doubt you are going to have any problem whether you are biracial or a non-practicing Reformed Unitarian Jewish Anglican Scientologist. Your ability to craft relationships is going to be based more on your willingness to socialize and finding your niche than anything else. For the most part, a lot of those relationships with neighbors are going to start with the parents of kids your son is in school with.

Overall, FWIW, I think Haddonfield is a little more pretentious, but more social. Moorestown is more laidback and open, but less social. A lot of the social element has to do with the fact that Haddonfield has a strong downtown that brings people together to socialize. Moorestowns downtown is basically more of a business district than an actual downtown.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 AM

15 posts, read 34,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I had a friend who used to live in Haddonfield and they stretched financially to do it. They were a typical "WASP" couple and the archetype for the community outside of their income level. They felt welcome and their daughters made plenty of friends in school. They were invited to socialize, but found themselves quickly "out of their league" financially. They ended up selling the house and moving to somewhere where they fit in better socio-economically. They still like Haddonfield, it just wasn't for them.

If you can legitimiately afford to live there and you fit the mold socio-economically, I doubt you are going to have any problem whether you are biracial or a non-practicing Reformed Unitarian Jewish Anglican Scientologist. Your ability to craft relationships is going to be based more on your willingness to socialize and finding your niche than anything else. For the most part, a lot of those relationships with neighbors are going to start with the parents of kids your son is in school with.

Overall, FWIW, I think Haddonfield is a little more pretentious, but more social. Moorestown is more laidback and open, but less social. A lot of the social element has to do with the fact that Haddonfield has a strong downtown that brings people together to socialize. Moorestowns downtown is basically more of a business district than an actual downtown.
This is super helpful! Thank you! Financially, I believe it is a place we can afford to live, and in terms of pretentiousness, we lived in DC before this, where we dealt with our fair share of pretentious folks. I think we need to visit more to get a sense of the place, but it sounds like maybe Haddonfield could be a good fit for us...

Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM

550 posts, read 912,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag556 View Post
I think you would love it. There is an incredibly strong sense of community and neighbors know and socialize with each other. It is very welcoming and I think you would have no problem making friends.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 PM

8,435 posts, read 11,727,359 times
Haddonfield has a decent Jewish population (7-10%)--somewhat higher than Moorestown, which is ~5-7%, though I know multiple Jewish families from both areas and, like they, doubt you'd experience any issues there.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:57 PM

That's a good point about socioeconomics and affordability. I grew up in a fairly pretentious town in Northern NJ, so I can handle the attitude that comes with that. What is kind of difficult is being blatantly stared at in restaurants when you're the only biracial couple and everyone else is white... so... still haven't really heard from anyone who has professed NOT to be white and living in Haddonfield/Moorestown. Anyone out there? Is diversity on the upswing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia