U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:32 PM

592 posts, read 1,384,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Those two doors give you no space to really use that room for anything. If you want to have a real entertaining space in the house, I understand why you are looking to make the changes.
The left most one is the door out back (small hallway with bathroom) and the second is a small office. Plus a third door to the left on the turn, to go small basment, and a fourth door for a closet... plus the 3 steps down

I put 1/2 a second thought into opening that center wall up, but thats holding up the entire second floor, and not something I want to mess with. The shelved wall to the garage seems like a better deal

Been noodling this.. and I think as long as engineer doesnt come back with some ridiculous estimate we're gonna do it. Have option to add garage in front or on other side down the road.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM

two months later... an update

We are NOT converting the garage. I am actually very happy about that.

The lower level of the split level, we are knocking out all of the walls and making it one large entertainment room. We are also adding a 12ft glass slider door at the back to open the room up to the outside and pool. It should be very dramatic

Very happy to have both the garage and the larger entertainment space. I had just assumed the beams needed to hold up the second floor with the walls knocked out would be a big deal, which is why i was targeting the garage.. So brought in an engineer/architect and find out its a simple few hour job to get it in place (with properly sized beam)

Many more steps to go...!

Last edited by bellmark; 01-13-2014 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: clarified a sentence

Old 01-14-2014, 10:21 AM

31,663 posts, read 32,873,082 times
Sounds like a great plan!

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM

rendering attached.

See post #12 up for core details.

Updates...
1) knocking out the wall almost entirely.
2) 12 ft window slider. 3 ft panes on end, 2 sliders in middle. Basically the entire back wall will be glass. Will open to patio block, pool, and woods.
3) Wetbar: wet-bar in area that was a big empty pantry space. Its incorrectly placed in this image. will be on the other wall 90 degress to left. (pantry space was where HVAC would go normally but this house has bonus basement where hvac is located)
4) On the right wall will be a doorway to garage. No access into house currently.

space is about 22x22... but take away space for existing bathroom, wetbar etc... smaller. Decent sized for entertaining tho and with all the glass the room will feel extended into the outside
Attached Thumbnails
Gloucester County convert garage?-familyroom.png  

Last edited by bellmark; 01-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-22-2014, 02:57 PM

14,781 posts, read 41,723,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
rendering attached.

See post #12 up for core details.

Updates...
1) knocking out the wall almost entirely.
2) 12 ft window slider. 3 ft panes on end, 2 sliders in middle. Basically the entire back wall will be glass. Will open to patio block, pool, and woods.
3) Wetbar: wet-bar in area that was a big empty pantry space. Its incorrectly placed in this image. will be on the other wall 90 degress to left. (pantry space was where HVAC would go normally but this house has bonus basement where hvac is located)
4) On the right wall will be a doorway to garage. No access into house currently.

space is about 22x22... but take away space for existing bathroom, wetbar etc... smaller. Decent sized for entertaining tho and with all the glass the room will feel extended into the outside
Very cool, it looks great.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Very cool, it looks great.
Thanks!

In a holding pattern with the main downstairs area...
Waiting on build permits. Well, its only been a week as it took a lot longer to finalize all of the details.
Attached Thumbnails
Gloucester County convert garage?-compare.png  

Old 02-05-2014, 10:32 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,723,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Thanks!

In a holding pattern with the main downstairs area...
Waiting on build permits. Well, its only been a week as it took a lot longer to finalize all of the details.
Hey, progress is progress.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM

3,315 posts, read 9,722,623 times
Looks good! Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM

We put the beams and slider in this weekend!
Came out better than I anticipated.

We now have an awesome "oh wow" room AND still have the garage!

Attached image:
Attached Thumbnails
Gloucester County convert garage?-convert3.png  

Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 AM

31,663 posts, read 32,873,082 times
I love those doors! I think that you made the right choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia