U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2013, 03:34 PM

592 posts, read 1,364,128 times

Advertisements

I know at one time Walmart wanted to build on 47 near 5-points and the landfill. 5-6 years ago.

Was that actually shot down by residents and the town, or was it really just a victim of the economy cr@pping out 5 years ago and Walmart decided to put it on hold?

I guess I am just curious if the project ever comes alive again.

(Doh... I know there is a Walmart where brunswick bowl and that is 47 too. I am specifically interested in the one that was supposed to be near 5-points intersection at the edge of wash twp, and near the landfill. Unfortunately I can't update the topic)

Last edited by bellmark; 11-30-2013 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: clarifying location
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 PM

756 posts, read 2,040,882 times
Here is an old article:

Wal-Mart foes celebrate a win after board vote The township rejected a proposal for the old RCA site. Two other Wal-Marts are on the drawing board. - Philly.com

I recall hearing about it and thought that many Wal-Marts in Deptford was a bit much. That area isn't that densely populated enough.

As for if the project ever comes alive again, I hope not.

In NJ, it seems there are regular Wal-Marts and the Wal-Mart SuperCenters.

I think the nearest market with some variation is Raleigh, where there is also Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets. In Chicago, there is Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets and Wal-Mart Express stores, in addition to the regular Walmarts and Super Walmarts.

If just for variety, it'd be nice to see those ones, although some would say Wal-Mart's presence will close other stores. It's been almost 4 years now since the Voorhees Genuardi's space has been closed, for example. While WalMart isn't a great employer, it'd add jobs back into that spot, and other vacant grocery store spots in So. NJ if Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets could fill in these places, although it's possible the nearby Acme might be pressured to close if it can't compete.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 AM

592 posts, read 1,364,128 times
Thanks!
So the irony is, that RCA location Walmart did get built!

I saw elsewhere they were trying to build one on 41 and Deptford Center Rd years ago (sort of across from staples) but that was definitely shot down.

From your article, this sentence is what I am wondering about
Construction of a third Wal-Mart is being considered at Routes 41 and 47, between Kinsley Landfill and the Five Points Diner, but no formal application has been filed.

But its been 9 years and seems they never even filed an application, so I'm sure this is a long dead idea.

Was simple curious as we are moving into the area.

My understanding is that all of the new Walmarts (last few years) are Super Walmarts.
The one exception was the Audubon NJ location and I believe that's because the Acme had a clause in their lease making them the only supermarket in the complex.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM

756 posts, read 2,040,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Thanks!

My understanding is that all of the new Walmarts (last few years) are Super Walmarts.
The one exception was the Audubon NJ location and I believe that's because the Acme had a clause in their lease making them the only supermarket in the complex.
The Audubon store isn't that new. It opened in 2005. The Cherry Hill store opened around that time. CH101 posted a site map, and the Cherry Hill store actually has space for expansion for grocery, but I guess back in the early-mid 2000's Wal-Mart didn't plan on SuperCenters for South Jersey as much. Perhaps because of union opposition/picketing fears, bad PR or something.

But, you're right that most of the new Wal-Marts are Super Walmarts. And, the Audubon Acme does prevent Wal-Mart from being a grocery store in the plaza as well. But, now Wal-Mart is focusing on grocery much more in general, generally opting for sites where there is no grocery store in the center.

The new Mt.Laurel one will be a super Walmart store (essentially a grocery store) but not even that big in sq. footage at just 93,944 sq. ft. I wonder how small some of the departments will be then because of the grocery component. Probably no hardware or garden department as a Lowes and Home Depot aren't far and would be superior in selection.

In Cherry Hill, rather than spending all the expenses to redesign and enlargen the 38 store (not sure how much it would cost) but they could probably get more visibility and new traffic by opening a Neighborhood Markets at the Pathmark site possibly which anyways faces the mall from the backside, and is attractive for the all the mall traffic that might need to pick up groceries anyways. I know folks from the east side of CH will go just as far as the mall, and then head back. They won't travel 2 miles further west on 38 for a Wal-Mart run if not necessary. I'm curious if Trader Joes has interest for part of the Pathmark site, and maybe one in Deptford area, near both malls. It's undergoing some expansion in Marlton to add more space there.

Last edited by avg12; 12-02-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 AM

161 posts, read 330,325 times
The Courier Post usually has really good coverage on South Jersey issues like this, but unfortunately their archives are pay-to-read.

Re Cherry Hill Walmart history:

It seems Walmart didn't open its first Supercenter in NJ (an expansion of the Turnersville store) until after the Cherry Hill opening in 2005. But I think I recall reading back then that the Cherry Hill site did not have enough space for a supercenter concept. But as we have seen by the site map I posted before, presumably they have now found a way to make a supercenter work at the Cherry Hill site if they ever decide to go through with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia