Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:34 AM

23 posts, read 34,189 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a family with a 1 year old moving on short notice for a job. I am looking for areas that are safe, preferably with a small "city center" of shops and restaurants, but have no idea if this exists in this vicinity and we are negotiable. We generally like city life, but looking to get a townhouse or single family home with 3 bedrooms ideally. We also do not want an area that you can't find newer buildings in- we will not move to a home with lead paint.

Can you tell me about the areas between Cherry Hill and South Trenton that we might consider? Let's assume we can afford everything at this point, and we'll narrow later if we're wrong. Not looking to buy this year, just rent. Also, if you know of good realtors, please let me know! We will need to look at everything all in one day since traveling there many times before the move is not an option. Also, we would be starting a lease January 1, so very short notice. Need your help!

Thanks so much..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:36 PM

592 posts, read 1,477,742 times
closer to cherry hill, and still affordable is Collingswood NJ. A 1940s style main street of small stores, that is a true rebound success story. Many restaurants, artsy type place... a huge amount of community events. Its the closest thing I see to that 1950s small-town USA move vibe.

Collngswood built town homes directly behind the main street. They look beautiful I think availability is tough

Haddonfield has similar main street, but higher end homes and pricing.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:51 PM

Sorry, should have been abundantly clear, actually must lie between those two areas, not in them or out of bounds. I'm compromising with my husband who wants to live as far north as possible, but my job is south. So I was thinking between those two places would me fair...

How is Moorestown? Thanks!!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Moorestown is great and especially if you can afford everything..(older homes to multi-millions dollars). You may have a hard time find rental though. Moorestown isn't really a city. There is a main street with shops, and that's about it.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:21 AM

I liked the location. I'm coming from Ithaca, ny, which is a small place with a couple small center streets with shops. I like being able to walk to the local co-op market, children's store, some restaurants. Would we lose that with Moorestown? I saw some sfh for rent for around 2k$ a month. I was hoping not to exceed 2k after adding utilities in, so it's a little steep. I was hoping maybe a realtor might have leads on some town homes. There were cheaper places, but all would have lead paint so no go.

What about areas adjacent and close north?

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankyoux2 View Post
I liked the location. I'm coming from Ithaca, ny, which is a small place with a couple small center streets with shops. I like being able to walk to the local co-op market, children's store, some restaurants. Would we lose that with Moorestown? I saw some sfh for rent for around 2k$ a month. I was hoping not to exceed 2k after adding utilities in, so it's a little steep. I was hoping maybe a realtor might have leads on some town homes. There were cheaper places, but all would have lead paint so no go.

What about areas adjacent and close north?

Thanks!
How do you know that they would have lead paint?

Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankyoux2 View Post
with Moorestown? I saw some sfh for rent for around 2k$ a month. I was hoping not to exceed 2k after adding utilities in, so it's a little steep.

Thanks!
Moorestown is a premium community of wealthy people and many large homes. There are some mansions (Terrell Owens of the Eagles lived in one when he was there). But its primarily a mix of smaller homes too. There is a small main st area but I'm not really familiar with it.

This isn't entirely accurate, but if I had to describe the Moorestown demographics to someone out of state...
Doctor's, Lawyers, Corporate executives. That pool of brain power leads to amazing children in an amazing school district where almost every kid goes to a 4 yr college. My daughter played tennis for our blue-collar town High School and she said when they played at Moorestown she was shocked by how nice the athletic facilities were... She said she felt like a Pro tennis player there and finally had an understanding of what it means to be rich. hah.

All those benefits and desire to live there, drives up prices.

Just trying to make the point that yes, 2k is expensive... but it comes with a lot of perks that may not seem obvious at first.

After you're done your research you should take a weekend and come check out the communities.

(BTW: every time I read your wish list... it says to me "Collingswood". Shame its out of your way but if you come down to check out areas, allocate some time to head there and walk the Haddon Ave shops)

Last edited by bellmark; 11-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: added collingswood info

Old 11-25-2013, 08:41 AM

Lead exists in more places than just the paints on the wall or window trims. I assume you are "afraid" of lead because you have a younger child. A lot of older house are not lead free but that doesn't mean they are dangerous to live in. As long as they are covered and your child isn't going to be biting on it, you will be fine.

With the strict rental laws in the NE regarding lead "safe", you will be fine.

Concern about lead with young children is valid and important but one should educate themselves about "lead" safety instead of saying lead house = bad.

Lead is everywhere, that's why it's important for young children to have their checkup.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Lead is generally a non-concern in a rental property. If the owner owns multiple properties or the unit is in a multi-family (e.g. complex) setup, than they must be lead free. Also, NJ banned lead in residental buildings in 1971 and it was banned nationally in 1978. So, any place built after 1978 is 100% lead free. Anything built in NJ after 1971 is pretty much 99% chance to be lead free. If you are looking for townhomes, they weren't built in most areas until the 1980's, so you should be fine. If you have a house built in 1910, then yes, it may contain lead. I'm a parent of three young kids and honestly, unless you have a very specific reason to be concerned with lead, I think you may be blowing it out of proportion. Unless your child is literally gnawing on the walls and trim or eating strips of paint, it's pretty much a non-concern.

As for where to rent, Moorestown and Bordentown are the only two in-between towns that meet your desires. Of the two, Moorestown would be the preferred choice. You can contact Weichert realtors on Main Street in Moorestown to inquire about renting. I rented a townhome in Moorestown 5 years ago and secured the place through Weichert. There are actually more rental options there than you realize.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 AM

Weichert on Main Street Moorestown is a good choice. I actually used an who work in that office to buy my house. OP: I can send you her contact info if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia