Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 20,837 times

Advertisements

My Guy friend and I found a beautiful historic home on the second floor located in Burlington City, right off of east broad and Lawrence st. We are both young Caucasian professions coming from wealthy suburb areas, but my biggest fear was our possible future neighbors. I'll be the female bread winner working in south Philadelphia and the river line would be handy being only a block away, but there will be nights where I'll be coming home late.

This home is beautiful and would be a great nest to start with ample space and a cozy charm, but outside dwellers don't look so appealing. Maybe its just me?? I Live in a wealthy town for a few years by myself in a studio that is just a block away from the police office, but being in a high class town so are the people who are snooby to "low class" people like myself. Before here I lived in East side Orlando which was a step up from Orange Blossom trail and managed fine in a housing complex with low income residence.

Is this a good trade off for living standards? I can have a shorter commute while living in a spacious historic house, or stay where I am and live in wealthy expensive Connecticut with a long 2 1/2 hour commute to New York City

What would you do South Jerseyan?

Last edited by Springdales; 11-03-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,258 times
Its a 2 1/2 commute to NY??? Just take the riverline to trenton and switch to the express. Where are you going? The Bronx?

BTW Burlington is very nice. It get a bad rap but its really too small to deserve it.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
If you do decide to move, as it seems you will be renting, I would suggest looking at Cinnaminson Harbor. It is an apartment/townhome development that has a RiverLine stop right at its entrance. Cinnaminson is an overall nicer town than Burlington City.

Here is a link to the apartments:

Camelot at Cinnaminson Harbour Apartments in Cinnaminson, NJ | Apartments.com

...and to the townhomes...

New Construction Homes for Sale in Cinnaminson Harbour Townhomes - Ryan Homes

While the townhomes are for purchase only new, there are several of them usually available for rent by the owner from what I've seen in both the newer and older section.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
NJ Crime Index City Rank, link: New Jersey Crime Index City Rank "The crime index value is calculated based on the data using USA.com algorithms. It is an indicator of the crime level in a region. Higher crime index value means more crime."
I know a couple of people that live there and despite the crime rate (according to the above), I don't remember anyone trying to move out. They do complain that the town hasn't gotten cleaned up, though. I've shopped and ate lunch there and never felt like my life was in danger, but I didn't walk alone at night either.

You might also consider Bordentown City. The Riverline goes to that town as well.

Just an FYI:
The River Line continues to increase in ridership and cost as it approaches the end of its first decade | NJ.com
River Line communities band together to fight crime on the train - Burlington County Times - phillyBurbs: Mobile Home Page

Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM

882 posts, read 1,670,353 times
Burlington City has an odd reputation. There was a thread here recently that had some negative posts about Burlington, yet in this thread it comes across alright. Driving through the outskirts on Rt 130, it seems a little run down but nothing serious. I drove through the downtown a few times and never felt unsafe at all. The town is interesting...old colonial architecture, mass transit, good location, yet no fancy shops or restaurants, sizeable non-white population, just doesn't fit in with what small NJ towns feel like.

Given the OP's background, I doubt she'll have any problems there. However, I would think you could find similar properties in nicer areas further south.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 20,837 times
I got a job offer in Philly with the company I currently work for in NYC. I don't have a lot of money for rent so my only choice would be a good bang for your buck area with a commuter line to South/central Philadelphia. The place is so good I don't even want to mention how much I gotten it for, but the trade off would be living in a section 8 area. I will say the neighbors next door are with good people as well, so peace a quiet.

The house would be a block away from the bus and commuter rail line. I'm assuming the 409 bus would be a better choice since it's direct ride to Philly's 6th st, without getting off at Camden.

The more I think about it the better off I'll be, just got to keep to myself and be street smart. I'll just work and play in Philadelphia and rest up at my nest in Burlington. This is a place to get started and then I'll look at houses in the township areas.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springdales View Post
I got a job offer in Philly with the company I currently work for in NYC. I don't have a lot of money for rent so my only choice would be a good bang for your buck area with a commuter line to South/central Philadelphia. The place is so good I don't even want to mention how much I gotten it for, but the trade off would be living in a section 8 area. I will say the neighbors next door are with good people as well, so peace a quiet.

The house would be a block away from the bus and commuter rail line. I'm assuming the 409 bus would be a better choice since it's direct ride to Philly's 6th st, without getting off at Camden.

The more I think about it the better off I'll be, just got to keep to myself and be street smart. I'll just work and play in Philadelphia and rest up at my nest in Burlington. This is a place to get started and then I'll look at houses in the township areas.
It sounds like a plan that will work for you. Good luck with everything. If you get a chance, stop by the Burlington Antiques Emporium on High Street across the street from the post office. You might find some bargains in there and it's fun to browse.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:59 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
How do the neighbors' look suspicious? Is it because they are "minorities"?
Or the way they dress?

I have driven through there,and even went to the park to hang out by the river and eat lunch. The architecture is beautiful. I felt like I was in the 1700's. There wasn't anyone outside when I went last year. The restaurant on the corner was closed down by then.
Unsafe? No,not at all. I'm from North Jersey,Newark specifically so I guess anything would be safer than there.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How do the neighbors' look suspicious? Is it because they are "minorities"?
Or the way they dress?

I have driven through there,and even went to the park to hang out by the river and eat lunch. The architecture is beautiful. I felt like I was in the 1700's. There wasn't anyone outside when I went last year. The restaurant on the corner was closed down by then.
Unsafe? No,not at all. I'm from North Jersey,Newark specifically so I guess anything would be safer than there.
I couldn't find anyplace where someone said the neighbors' looked suspicious and no one said anything about something being a certain way or not, because of any particular race. You mean there are black, white, and section 8 people living all together in the same town? OMG.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I couldn't find anyplace where someone said the neighbors' looked suspicious and no one said anything about something being a certain way or not, because of any particular race. You mean there are black, white, and section 8 people living all together in the same town? OMG.
Springdales said, "...outside dwellers don't look so appealing". But, I agree, no one said anything about race. What are the guys hanging at the corner doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia