U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 02:09 PM

22 posts, read 20,108 times

Advertisements

A missed opportunity for sure. The render looks more like what I would expect to see near Woodcrest station if Cherry Hill ever go ahead with that "transit orientated" development.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 02:15 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,353,317 times
I can't believe how badly they dropped the ball on this one. It's essentially going to be like Voorhees Town Center but with less retail/restaurants/businesses.

Am I wrong to hope that no one bites at this and the whole thing fails so that a lesson is learned?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:36 PM

884 posts, read 1,547,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I can't believe how badly they dropped the ball on this one. It's essentially going to be like Voorhees Town Center but with less retail/restaurants/businesses.

Am I wrong to hope that no one bites at this and the whole thing fails so that a lesson is learned?
To be fair, the Lumberyard in Collingswood has plenty of detractors and was stuck in development hell for a while. The Albertson Avenue development a block from Haddon Ave is also quite suburban in its design.
And Haddonfield hasn't even tried to build anything. But yeah, something tall and dense with a nice pedestrian plaza would have down wonders for the townscape, seeing as right now all we have are a few squished sidewalk seats and beer gardens amidst curb cuts and parking lots.

I'm hoping at some point in the future the DVRPA figures out a way to get the PATCO parking lots developed and we see something intelligently planned built there.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:52 PM

17 posts, read 19,310 times
The old site of the Atco Multiplex Cinema faces the same "barren wasteland" feel.
It's really a shame that such a once thriving business now is the home to nothing but flat land.
Rumor had it the Philadelphia Phantoms were supposed to occupy the space once the Spectrum was to be demolished.
There was even a road built that ran behind the old theater to house restaurants, but that never took off.
Now the only thing there is the road that runs to the train station and out to Rt. 73.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:17 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,353,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
To be fair, the Lumberyard in Collingswood has plenty of detractors and was stuck in development hell for a while. The Albertson Avenue development a block from Haddon Ave is also quite suburban in its design.
And Haddonfield hasn't even tried to build anything. But yeah, something tall and dense with a nice pedestrian plaza would have down wonders for the townscape, seeing as right now all we have are a few squished sidewalk seats and beer gardens amidst curb cuts and parking lots.

I'm hoping at some point in the future the DVRPA figures out a way to get the PATCO parking lots developed and we see something intelligently planned built there.
Do you know what the occupancy rate is in the Lumberyard? Do they actually sell/rent out close to capacity? Not that I would expect you to know actual figures, but what kind of vibe do you get? If you have ever been around there, that is.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:50 PM

122 posts, read 177,054 times
Quote:
Do you know what the occupancy rate is in the Lumberyard? Do they actually sell/rent out close to capacity? Not that I would expect you to know actual figures, but what kind of vibe do you get? If you have ever been around there, that is.
I think the older section of it was almost fully sold which is why they got the go ahead for the newest phase.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 PM

122 posts, read 177,054 times
Quote:

The problem is that they chose to do business with a suburban developers. Developers aren't committed to what the town wants and needs. They are committed to what they've done in the past and what they assume is going to be the most profitable for them. I don't blame them one bit. But the town government needs to use the tools at its disposal via the redevelopment process to mandate that the developer conform to a plan that benefits the town. They failed at that process miserably. The sad thing is that it will take decades for people to realize how badly that project will hamper development along Haddon Ave.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Not sure of the specifics, but the general sense I i get is...

The builder who completed the project (Ingerman?) is known for making low-income housing, and there are complaints that the condos are not of high quality.

Residents complain the buildings are not attractive.

The urbanist crowd complains there's too much parking, not enough ground level retail, not enough density.

There are still some retail vacancies, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of foot traffic in the area.

It's a bit of a walk to the PATCO station, and the usual complaints about an pedestrian-unfriendly streetscape.

That said, Lumberyard has new-construction luxury residences in a town center walking-distance to public transit. Not many places you can find that in South Jersey. If I had the income and planned on living down here long term, I'd probably look to live there.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 8,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Not sure of the specifics, but the general sense I i get is...

The builder who completed the project (Ingerman?) is known for making low-income housing, and there are complaints that the condos are not of high quality.

Residents complain the buildings are not attractive.

The urbanist crowd complains there's too much parking, not enough ground level retail, not enough density.

There are still some retail vacancies, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of foot traffic in the area.

It's a bit of a walk to the PATCO station, and the usual complaints about an pedestrian-unfriendly streetscape.

That said, Lumberyard has new-construction luxury residences in a town center walking-distance to public transit. Not many places you can find that in South Jersey. If I had the income and planned on living down here long term, I'd probably look to live there.
Do we know anything about the quality of the developer/apartment company of Haddon Town Center or expected price points in this early stage? Comparable to Lumberyard?

Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerEssence View Post
Do we know anything about the quality of the developer/apartment company of Haddon Town Center or expected price points in this early stage? Comparable to Lumberyard?
This story covers much of the saga:

Haddon Twp. Residents Push Back Against Revised Town Center Plan

Not sure what the price point is, I think it's like 1600-2000 or so for a 1bed, so at the higher end of the Lumberyard prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia