Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM

414 posts, read 931,270 times

Advertisements

Having been a big fan of the Philly area based Ritz Theaters for years, I was thrilled when they opened up the original Ritz Theate in Rte. 561 some years back.

They started with the same type of avante garde movies that you would see at the Ritz Theaters in Voorhees, but slowly they incorporated more mainstream movies.

Although I wasn't pleased with that, I understand that the big budget movies bring in more $$$

THEN, the name change to Rave Cinemas?? WTH? My first thought was that there was going to be a big mosh pit inside the place and kids saying "We're going to the Rave duuuudee!!" LOL!

Turns out it was just a name change, albeit a bit lame.

NOW, we have Carmike (even worse name). I haven't been there since this new lame name change....Is it the same as the Rave? Prices the same too?

Did they ditch the overpriced pastries, etc. area to the left side? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times
The name changes were mostly because of ownership changes of the theater.

Originally, as Ritz, it didn't show children/animated movies and I think kids under a certain age weren't even permitted for PG and PG13 movies unless accompanied by an adult. They had strict rules likely to prevent the place being mobbed by middle and high school kids. Ironically, the place was like a senior center during the day and early evening.

They always had some mainstream movies even when it was Ritz owned. I remember watching The Crucible starring Wynona Ryder when that theater was pretty new. They were just more selective, but even back then they kept some big hit type movies presented. Titanic was shown there. Despite the name changes, it's likely held up better over time than Loews Cherry Hill.

Last edited by avg12; 02-05-2014 at 08:07 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Towards the end when it was still Ritz, they were showing far more mainstream movies there then avante garde films. I even remember taking my son there a few times for animated movies when it was still the Ritz. The change to Rave didn't seem to mean much of a change overall, other than offering even less "art" films. I went there a couple of weeks ago, now Carmike and we saw Hobbit and my daughters saw Frozen. The theater still seemed just like it was before, same vibe, same crowd and prices were what they have always been.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Yeah, everyone still just calls it the Ritz haha, no worries.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 PM

414 posts, read 931,270 times
Glad to hear that it's just another name change! I always liked the Ritz/Rave Cinema ..much more convenient than Lowes Cherry Hill, still has that upscale look and feel, not massively overcrowded with the kiddies all of the time like the Lowes.

Plus, I love their popcorn

Think I'll do a matinee at the Carmike (no popcorn) and then save my appetite for lunch/dinner at Rodizio Grill after in Voorhees Town Center soon...yummy

Old 02-06-2014, 09:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I like the theater. Don't really care what they call it. I prefer the theater in Marlton on 73, but now that it is assigned seating it is very difficult to get last minute tickets.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 AM

155 posts, read 372,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I like the theater. Don't really care what they call it. I prefer the theater in Marlton on 73, but now that it is assigned seating it is very difficult to get last minute tickets.

Assigned seating?? I've never heard of that before in a movie theater.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
Assigned seating?? I've never heard of that before in a movie theater.
Its kind of nice. When you buy the tickets you pick which seats you want. They also just redid the whole theater. Very nice big leather chairs that recline.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:26 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
I believe Carmike is a chain of theatres. There are others in the USA.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM

756 posts, read 2,117,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Towards the end when it was still Ritz, they were showing far more mainstream movies there then avante garde films. I even remember taking my son there a few times for animated movies when it was still the Ritz. The change to Rave didn't seem to mean much of a change overall, other than offering even less "art" films.
National Amusements bought out the Ritz Voorhees screen in 2007 and changed the name to "Showcase at the Ritz Center".

This might have been when mainstream movies were added including animated ones, and the kids rule change happened. I believe concessions changed as well. Later Rave bought out a number of National Amusements screens. After that Cinemark bought out the Rave chain, but because it owned the Cinemark Somerdale, it had to divest one. So, it divested the Voorhees screen to Carmike. I didn't understand this condition because AMC owns or has owned two screens in Deptford.

More history here:
Ritz Center 16 in Voorhees, NJ - Cinema Treasures

Had the Voorhees theater been built as a mainstream theater from the start like Loews Cherry Hill, I doubt the Cinemark Somerdale screen would have survived esp. with Lions Head Plaza being a dead plaza for so long. But fortunately the events worked out that both Voorhees and Somerdale have screens. However, during the time National Amusements owned Showcase at Ritz, National Amusements closed the Atco Multiplex screen that it owned. Atco Multiplex would have probably closed either way though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia