U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:55 PM

69 posts, read 139,144 times

Advertisements

After two weeks of Patco's new Monday/Friday rush hour schedule, I don't think Patco could have made it more painful for the passengers if they had tried. The crowds on the Philadelphia station platforms and trains are overwhelming. Patco's decision to plan 30 minute outages of rush hour train traffic especially on Friday nights is cruel and unusual punishment.

I heard a rumor that this summer Patco will schedule these rush hour service outages every night. Is that true?

Steve
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM

512 posts, read 961,378 times
Its going to get worse... its soon to spread to the rest of the week. Cant really be helped. the Bridge tracks are falling apart and drastic measures had to be taken.

“In the spring, we’ll actually be going to one track, seven days a week, 24 hours a day, for approximately two months,” says Patco spokesman Tim Ireland. “And that pattern of weekend track outages, followed by a month or a few weeks or a couple of weeks of 24/7 track outages, will continue on and off over the next two years.”

Patco Starting Two Years of Track Work on Ben Franklin Bridge « CBS Philly

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 AM

155 posts, read 350,047 times
This morning was a blast!

My train ended up disabled on the BFB. Had to back into Camden and we had to join an already packed train waiting at City Hall. Apparently someone got caught in a door at 8th and Market and drug by the train. And I also heard a women fainted on the train, supposedly due to the overcrowding......

PATCO is basically unusable at this point..........

Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 PM

try driving and parking for a week and get back to me.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:11 PM

69 posts, read 139,144 times
I got into work really early today and missed morning mess. My boss was on the train for 2 hours this morning on what should have been less than a 30 minute ride.

Tonight a train broke down ahead of me in rush hour. The driver's radio on my train said that the broken down train had smoke in all of the cars. I am starting to wonder if it is safe to ride Patco while they are going through this repair project.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
try driving and parking for a week and get back to me.
Will do!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,735,387 times
Nj transit must be celebrating!!!!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
Will do!

Hows your driving commute going? Is it faster? are you paying less? are you happier? Its been a week so i would think you have an opinion by now.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Hows your driving commute going? Is it faster? are you paying less? are you happier? Its been a week so i would think you have an opinion by now.

I haven't driven everyday, but I've either driven or jumped in with my wife when I could.

Wednesday drove in
Thursday was off due to storm.
Friday, with the wife
Monday I did take PATCO. No real issues
Tuesday with the wife.
Drove in today.

What I will say is that ultimately I do think it is quicker to drive.
My best days with PATCO, long before these new issues with construction, was 1 hour door to door.
That was driving to Ashland, PATCO to 8th, subway to 34th, walking to campus.

I can be parked in University City in 30 minutes if I leave before 7 am.
Coming home is little more of an issue, but ultimately, if I don't leave work late, I can still be home in less than an hour.

Paying less? Probably not. I'm paying probably $140 to PATCO($7/day), $80-100 for SEPTA($4.50/day) each month and whatever in gas. So, say $275 a month.
Driving would be $5/day ($100/month) for the bridge and I could get a parking spot for $165/month. Plus gas.
The difference is probably negligible and mostly in gas. Ultimately driving would prove more expensive because the roads are awful and you are gonna beat the **** out of your car.

Happier. I don't know. I've been seriously debating on just applying for the parking permit and driving every day for a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger. PATCO going 24/7 on this construction and limiting trains to one track, I think it's going to cause serious headaches.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:08 PM

I respect your honesty about Patco and Driving. PAtco was built so fewer people in SJ would drive over the BF Bridge to get to Center city jobs. Its really ment for that and the latest track work really throws a wrench into the concept. It has to be done and i dont know any other way for them to do it but close down one of the tracks. It comes at a bad time with the elecaltor issues and the rail car fleet overall issues. Its sterling reputation is now in doubt... but its alot better than SEPTA and many other transit systems. Just putting it out there.

Even with all the current issues its still the best way to CC and maybe University City. They arent building anymore freeways or parking lots in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia