U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM

414 posts, read 852,642 times

Advertisements

Just curious about folks opinion of The Chophouse Restaurant on Rte. 561 (Haddonfield-Berlin Rd) in Gibbsboro.

I've been there a few times in the past (mostly to take customers to dinner on the company dime..and nce for a personal outing with my GF for dinner..boss was nice and allowed me to use the Corporate Amex to dine out as a reward).

Actually was glad that I haven't spent my own money there as I found the food overpriced for what you actually get and just ok in terms of quality/flavor.

I haven't been there in awhile, mostly because of a really bad allergic reaction I had to a soup (Butternut Squash, if memory serves) that I suspect was made using soy milk, which is like poison to my body.

I know it's a hot spot for singles to mingle and people watch AND for people to showboat in the fancy BMW's, Mercedes, Ferrari's etc.

One that note: For those of you like me who use that Drive Thru ATM at the Wells Fargo in the evening..be careful! The valets are a little too eager to park the cars quickly, sometimes driving them into reverse fast from the restaurant toward the bank.

Curious also about what arrangement they have with Wells Fargo Bank to use their parking lot to valet park cars EVERY nite, since Chophouse has such a tiny parking area.

Hmm? Does the Bank Manager get a nice fat envelope of $$$ weekly AND free dinners there? LOL!

I've seen both good and bad reviews for this place on Yelp, so for those of you who have been there...What are your thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:46 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,799,161 times
It's ok. Nothing to write home about. I'd rather go to a better rated restaurant in Philadelphia for the money. Went there once to scope out the place for clients. My boss was not impressed and said he would never insult clients by taking them there.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Agreed @ Ms_Christina. The ONLY reason I took customers there (A grand total of 2 of them) was because they asked specifically to go there....and this was a number of years ago. Last time I set foot in this place was 2006 for my "free dinner on the company". Like your boss, my GF wasn't too impressed with the Slop House either, to be honest.

Wish we had gone to Buddakhan for the 1200th time instead...Maybe Del Frisco's..or any of a number of far superior restaurants in CC Philly.

Guessing this is just a hot place for singles to mingle at their bar..and for guys to show off their fancy cars to impress the ladies?? Gimme a break.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,799,161 times
It's the new Swanky Bubbles aka Skanky Bubbles.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 PM

592 posts, read 1,366,752 times
Interesting.. I wasnt aware that it was such a swanky spot.

I'm more of a Red Robin guy myself but next week a work event will have me at Ocean Prime in Philly... significant because its supposed to be the next greatest surf-turf spot ($5 mill remodel), but Inquirer's super critic Craig Laban hammered the place.

I'll give a review later if anyone is interested.

sorry to digress...

Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Default Ocean Prime? Hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Interesting.. I wasnt aware that it was such a swanky spot.

I'm more of a Red Robin guy myself but next week a work event will have me at Ocean Prime in Philly... significant because its supposed to be the next greatest surf-turf spot ($5 mill remodel), but Inquirer's super critic Craig Laban hammered the place.

I'll give a review later if anyone is interested.

sorry to digress...

Hi bellmark,

I was more than happy with a beer & burger at Fuddrucker's in Voorhees (when they were open..God I miss Fudds!! ) and will go to Los Amigos in Berlin for good Mexican food or a few drinks at the bar there or the Thai Restaurant in Eagle Plaza in Voorhees (very good food there!).

Please don't waste your money or your time at The Chop House! I'm amazed that they continue to stay in business given their inflated prices and sub-par food...BUT there's not much else in the immediate area in the semi-swanky department.

I'd love to hear your review of Ocean Prime

Not familiar with this place, but always eager to hear what folks have to say about the new places in Philly!

Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,268,186 times
Count me in the "not a fan of the Chop House" camp. I've been there a few times for work related reasons, but was never impressed. The owners of a company I used to work for lived in that area and it was one of their "go to" spots. You would also probably find their wives at "Skanky Bubbles", lol. In that immediate area, it's the only semi-swanky option and I think that's what keeps it going. The price keeps a lot of people out and those who go there tend not to care about the price of their average steak and don't mind paying $15 for a drink. They also tend to like that it's near home. The whole place is basically the "local pub" for rich people out that way.

Me personally, I would rather go to Capital Grille in Cherry Hill (better food, similar price) or better yet head into the city for a real meal.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM

592 posts, read 1,366,752 times
Ocean Prime...
The initial fanfare:
Ocean Prime: A return to elegance

Then the review... THE review. Described by other food sites as brutal.
Valid review... or REVENGE? dun dun duuuuunnn.. :-)
Ocean Prime: Center City chain is tough to swallow

Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 PM

17,578 posts, read 44,267,312 times
I've enjoyed the few times I've been. But I have only gone for either restaurant week or on Sunday night when they have a price fix menu. So I've never paid a ton to eat there and usually skip the alcoholic drinks to keep the price down.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM

I remember taking a client to dinner here back in 2004 and a few appetizers, dinner (seafood or surf & turf) and a couple drinks each ran the tab up to $300.00! I wasn't even all that full either...

Unbelievable. Thankfully, it was on the company Amex and I was allowed by my old company to spend that much for dinner for 2 people!

God only knows what it costs to feed 2 people there now! I won't be finding out!

I drive by there every night on the way home and just laugh at the people dumping money into this place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia