U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 08:18 AM

14 posts, read 108,036 times

Advertisements

Will starting a job in hopewell, NJ
Family of 3, sole income.

After a little bit research, seems Buck County, PA is a much affordable place to live.
I found some townhouse listing in Newtown Grant, seems really nice.
How does Newtown Grant comparing to Yardley, PA, regarding
1. commute time to hopewell, NJ
2. safety
3. rural or urban.

I am not sure whether it is the right forum to ask.
But any opinion is welcome regarding my other option, which is living in Princeton or West Windsor.
Wife may have some contractor job the need to go to NYC for a few days every month.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 AM

1,247 posts, read 2,867,193 times
Try posting on the Pennsylvania forum.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:43 PM

414 posts, read 850,071 times
I grew up in Lower Bucks County, PA and can tell you that Yardley and Newtown,PA are both nice towns that are next door to each other literally.

Both are upscale towns (not extremely over the top though). Yardley IMO would be the less expensive town of the 2 to live in and it's a 30 min drive from that area to Hopewell, NJ. The Route 95 exit is conveniently close by off Route 332 (Newtown-Yardley Bypass).

Both are safe towns, good schools as far as I know, and suburban (not rural or urban at all). There are a couple or few small farms scattered here and there...giving it a semi-country feel in certain areas.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM

14 posts, read 108,036 times
thank you.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM

884 posts, read 1,547,359 times
Yardley has a train station with a decent amount of parking and about an hour ride to Center City. Nice if you like to take trips into the city. It also has a little village downtown with all the necessities (Wawa, Starbucks, Fitness Center, FroYo spot, a tavern). Also beautiful natural areas around the Canal and River. Newtown also has a little village downtown which I'm told is nice, though I've never visited. Newtown does not have a train station. Commute to Hopewell would be about 30 minutes I guess, easy shot up 95 to rt 31. 31 can back up near Pennington, but is otherwise a quiet and scenic drive. Plenty of back roads in the area too to dodge a major accident.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,730,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyda View Post
Will starting a job in hopewell, NJ
Family of 3, sole income.

After a little bit research, seems Buck County, PA is a much affordable place to live.
I found some townhouse listing in Newtown Grant, seems really nice.
How does Newtown Grant comparing to Yardley, PA, regarding
1. commute time to hopewell, NJ
2. safety
3. rural or urban.

I am not sure whether it is the right forum to ask.
But any opinion is welcome regarding my other option, which is living in Princeton or West Windsor.
Wife may have some contractor job the need to go to NYC for a few days every month.

Thanks.
If you choose Princeton you gain the ability to use transit where is your job? Is it Merrill lynch? Pm me so I can see what your options are.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 PM

266 posts, read 162,427 times
I live in Newtown Grant and we bought our home new 22 years ago. It's a beautiful area with great schools and it's VERY safe! You'll never feel uncomfortable walking around the neighborhood at 3am by yourself...not that I tend to do so but almost nothing bad ever happens here. My son until recently commuted to Hopewell (he just moved along with his job to Philly) and it was about a 40 minute commute.

I've also worked in Yardley and it's very similar to Newtown as far as safety and quality of life. You can't go bad with either location. The area is neither urban or rural ...more small town suburban but if you drive north of Newtown & Yardley there are many rural areas in Upper Makefield & areas along the Delaware River.

ETA....If you have to go into NYC you can drive to the train station in Hamilton, NJ which is about a 20 minute ride and from there another hour into Manhattan. When we first looked for housing in the area we also checked Princeton (DH worked along Rt. 1 in Princeton) and West Windsor and we found Bucks County to be more affordable and just as nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia