U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,110 times

Advertisements

With all the Snow and Ice and crummy weather this winter most people are stuck indoors with nothing to do after work. I got to thinking what I did when I was a kid living at home on snowy days. Back in the mid to late 70's CB's were real big back then and almost everybody had a Base Station or Mobile CB.Looking back it was exciting and alot of fun!! Just wondering if anybody still uses one of these and what the air waves are like now compared to the 70's?

Scott R
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM

3,315 posts, read 9,663,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondo35 View Post
With all the Snow and Ice and crummy weather this winter most people are stuck indoors with nothing to do after work. I got to thinking what I did when I was a kid living at home on snowy days. Back in the mid to late 70's CB's were real big back then and almost everybody had a Base Station or Mobile CB.Looking back it was exciting and alot of fun!! Just wondering if anybody still uses one of these and what the air waves are like now compared to the 70's?

Scott R

I do not know anyone who uses a CB in their home. Last time I used one was in a truck/big rig.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 PM

414 posts, read 851,062 times
I have a portable CB radio / transceiver that I bought awhile ago for emergencies and to see who's out there chatting.

The few times that I DID try it for fun there was hardly anyone on, except a few random truckers who weren't able to hear me or didn't want to be bothered..lol.

I remember having fun with them as a kid too...just to chat with folks (not just truckers). I think stuff like online chatrooms, like the Yahoo and PalTalk, blogs, YouTube as well and Facebook/Twitter, etc have taken over.

It's a shame...I might have to go out to my garage and get my portable CB and try again!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM

Yea ,thats what I figured, the new technology of communication replaced the CB's so there is very few people left using them these days.Without other people to talk to its really not that much fun anymore.

Scott

Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM

592 posts, read 1,365,038 times
When did CB become FB (facebook)?
Cant believe I missed out on DB and EB!

Are there more people on shortwave?
(not me... just saying "more people")

Looks like we got us a convoy!!

Convoy 1978 movie Theme Song - YouTube

Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,322,931 times
Yes, they are still in use but obvously to a much lesser degree which might not be a bad thing considering all the garbage and BS on it from the 70's.

You can buy them at most electronic places, Radio Shack, Best buy, Amazon cost about $50
If you want to just listen in, you should should buy a scanner, so all the channals can be monitored easily

No other communication is better for driving and you want to call out to all in your immediate area, for road conditions or you need help. usual range is about 5-10 mi depending on terrain

Some police still monitor the CB channals also

Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 PM

I did a search on ebay and there are Tons of CB's New and Vintage for sale, even some base stations also. I just picked up a New Cobra Mini Ultra III at Walmart for only $34.00. Its really a nice little unit for the money!! I hooked it up and started getting some chatter right away on Ch 6. Still people using them but like boater1 said to a lesser degree.

Scott R

Old 07-18-2014, 09:34 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,494,212 times
Default CBers

Well, there are a few of old farts who still use the CB radio. I have one for each of my vehicles. Always have and will continue to as long as long as I drive or travel. I worked on/with radio's for 25 years in the military
and have always had a liking for them. I thought about getting my ham license but just never took the time
or effort to do so. But yes, while cell phones are great there's nothing like getting a response once you key
up the mic. One can talk great distance in the right weather conditions and when/if the SHTF none of the
cells will work. it'll be the CB's and hams who will be able to talk to others and find out who's who's and what's what's. While the hams are much stronger and can talk great distance's there will still be a need for the little
CB. I just ordered a new Uniden PC 68 Elite for my truck, nothing like being prepared for whatever might come down the road.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:18 PM

11,443 posts, read 520,612 times
I turned mine on the other day and talked to someone in town here..... It was nice..... I havent talked to anyone in along time on it!!

Old 05-10-2020, 08:04 PM

78,910 posts, read 72,947,558 times
Not since the '80s, but it was fun, and it's nice to see some still do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia