Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 AM

267 posts, read 950,326 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get out of my rental apartment and buy a townhouse this summer. Having lived in single family homes most of my life, I do have concerns about townhouse developments. I could be wrong, but I would bet that they are full of people who are just passing through, including some renters sprinklered in.

There seem to be affordable townhouses in the Marlton Village and Kings Grant developments. Can any tell me if these developments are clean, safe communities? Marlton Village apparently had some drug arrests years ago. I do not need fancy, just a decent place that will retain its value. I will have two young children with me.

Also, I would love a fenced-in yard, which lends itself to a fee simple ownership. Are these developments condos or fee simple?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
I really can't tell you too much about Marlton Village. My son's friend lived there when it had a rather poor reputation, but I don't think that it was ever really terrible. A little more recently, his other friend's aunt bought a place there (eight years ago?) and seems to like it. My son has stayed there with his friend when he was pet sitting for the weekend. The police didn't show up in the neighborhood and it was rather quiet at night. That said, there's a lot of traffic on Old Marlton Pike and I wouldn't want to live that close to Rt. 70.

Kings Grant is a very large development. It's not one big homogeneous place; it's a series of neighborhoods, some more upscale than others. I used to live there and loved it. Other than Carmel, CA, it's one of the nicest places I've ever lived.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 PM

I took a ride through a few different townhouse developments today. I could definitely tell right away that Marlton Village isn't my cup of tea. It's really dense with no yards and small units.
Kings Grant....hmmm. Well, for starters, I see what you mean about it not being a homogeneous place. It's a very random and odd development. It feels a little more lake resort than suburban, and I'm not so sure I like that. Certainly, the lake and outdoor activities seem like a huge plus, but some of the streets I turned into were hit or miss. They all have completely different architectural styles, that's for sure. I think my fears about townhouses could be legit. No one seemed to have any care or concern about the front porch, front yard, etc. It just had more of a renter's vibe to me. It felt a little too far too, though only about 3 miles from where I am now. Gerania, I'd be curious to know what part you lived in. The inner ring development seemed nicer than the outer ring.
I'm thinking in my price range, maybe a single family fixed upper might be best. Can anyone else recommend any affordable townhouses in Marlton, Cherry Hill, or Mt.Laurel?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,928,108 times
What price range are you looking at?

I didn't get the good "vibe" when I look at properties in Kings Grant years ago. There were nice houses but there isn't a consistency.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Invertigo, when I moved to Kings Grant, I lived on Berkshire Way. I think the neighborhood was called Little Mill. Everything was pretty all of the time. That neighborhood is a mix of townhomes and single family homes. There's a tiny pond at the bottom of Berkshire, a tot lot, and some playground equipment for older children about half a block away. We were lucky to rent there because most people owned their homes.

When the owner--on short notice--decided to sell, we moved to Virginia Court in the Willliamsburg section. It wasn't quite as nice as the other neighborhood, though it did have a tot lot and two tennis courts. That neighborhood has townhomes and condos. More people rented than in the other neighborhood. All? of the people who rented were solid. My son's elementary school teacher lived there, as did a middle school teacher, air traffic control guy at the Philly airport, the DEA guy and the military family, some retirees. I might not buy there because of the rentals, though. Majestic Way near the golf course is beautiful. It's one of my favorite streets in the neighborhood.

Lipinski does most of the landscaping and outdoor maintenance in the neighborhood. Some of the HOA's choose to spend less money or choose a different company. It shows.

It is like living in a lake resort; I loved that about the neighborhood. My son camped in the neighbor's yard, won a ridiculously large trophy at the annual fishing derby and got to roam the area on foot and bike. The elementary school is in the neighborhood and the middle school and high school are not far away. There's a pharmacy across the street, and I must say, that came in handy.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
What price range are you looking at?

I didn't get the good "vibe" when I look at properties in Kings Grant years ago. There were nice houses but there isn't a consistency.
I'm under 200k, unfortunately. I think with that budget, I can't afford the better communities.

I agree about Kings Grant. I'd be nervous to buy in a decent mini-neighborhood when the next one down is not so nice. One street had the homes right on a gravel street, no front yard, and it was kind of run down looking. Others had more of a formal colonial vibe with decent sidewalks and respectable front yards. It's one of the strangest developments I have seen. Just my opinion though.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Invertigo, when I moved to Kings Grant, I lived on Berkshire Way. I think the neighborhood was called Little Mill. Everything was pretty all of the time. That neighborhood is a mix of townhomes and single family homes. There's a tiny pond at the bottom of Berkshire, a tot lot, and some playground equipment for older children about half a block away. We were lucky to rent there because most people owned their homes.

When the owner--on short notice--decided to sell, we moved to Virginia Court in the Willliamsburg section. It wasn't quite as nice as the other neighborhood, though it did have a tot lot and two tennis courts. That neighborhood has townhomes and condos. More people rented than in the other neighborhood. All? of the people who rented were solid. My son's elementary school teacher lived there, as did a middle school teacher, air traffic control guy at the Philly airport, the DEA guy and the military family, some retirees. I might not buy there because of the rentals, though. Majestic Way near the golf course is beautiful. It's one of my favorite streets in the neighborhood.

Lipinski does most of the landscaping and outdoor maintenance in the neighborhood. Some of the HOA's choose to spend less money or choose a different company. It shows.

It is like living in a lake resort; I loved that about the neighborhood. My son camped in the neighbor's yard, won a ridiculously large trophy at the annual fishing derby and got to roam the area on foot and bike. The elementary school is in the neighborhood and the middle school and high school are not far away. There's a pharmacy across the street, and I must say, that came in handy.
I don't think I came across Berkshire in my travels. I appreciate all of your insight, however.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Did you look at Reynard Run? I see a few listings on there. I also noticed a Homepath listing on their as well.

Overall, I don't think you will have much problem looking for a townhouse in Mt. Laurel or Evesham in the price range.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:03 PM

198 posts, read 484,432 times
Stonegate in Mount Laurel is nice.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBOSCH View Post
Stonegate in Mount Laurel is nice.

Only thing I don't like about Stonegate is that if feels a bit congested. Location wise, it's a convenient location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia