U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 15,588 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ..

I'm planning to study at the art institute which I as I saw located in Philly downtown and my sister gonna study in Jersey so I'm thinking about living with her in Jersey.

Is that possible to go and back everyday ?

How far is Jersey from Philly?

What is the best way to get Philly downtown from Jersey?

How much the transport will cost me monthly ?

Thank you in advance appreciate your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:57 AM

402 posts, read 709,140 times
Which part of jersey? Nj is in two metro areas.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM

8,463 posts, read 11,754,459 times
Live somewhere convenient to a Patco stop and take the train to the 15th-16th & Locust station. Just another couple blocks from there to the Art Institute.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 AM

414 posts, read 852,642 times
To someone not familiar with Philly or South Jersey as the OP seems to be...I'd say (like the previous poster did), pick a town near a PATCO station, like Collingswood, Westmont, Haddonfield, Cherry Hill or Voorhees, NJ.

Camden is not a safe area to live, even though it's closest to the City of Philadelphia proper. This town needs a MAJOR overhaul, sort of what has been going on in Jersey City for YEARS. Hell, if North Philly can do it with Northern Liberties, why in blazes can't Camden do it?

#disgusted #frustrated #WTF

Last edited by The Winter Soldier; 03-16-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 PM

26 posts, read 65,793 times
Check Craigslist. There are a few available places to rent in Collingswood that are relatively affordable (and probably the least expensive along the Patco line) and plus, it's about 10-15 minutes travel time to 15th-16th and Locust.

Have you thought about towns near the River Line (the light rail running up the Delaware)? You would need to transfer to the Patco to get to the city, but if you're looking for affordability, there are some great deals within that corridor. I wouldn't rent a place further north than Riverside, because after that, you're looking at greater than an hour of travel time.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:36 PM

884 posts, read 1,550,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Nightly View Post
Check Craigslist. There are a few available places to rent in Collingswood that are relatively affordable (and probably the least expensive along the Patco line) and plus, it's about 10-15 minutes travel time to 15th-16th and Locust.

Have you thought about towns near the River Line (the light rail running up the Delaware)? You would need to transfer to the Patco to get to the city, but if you're looking for affordability, there are some great deals within that corridor. I wouldn't rent a place further north than Riverside, because after that, you're looking at greater than an hour of travel time.
I second this, as someone who has also though about living in NJ and working in Philly for a while. You can occaisionally find places for as low as 700 in Collingswood, though they disappear quickly. Keep in mind the whole area features a preponderance of garden apartments and detached houses, so housing stock isn't too diverse. For riverline towns, check Riverton, Cinnaminson, and Palmyra; they're closest to Philly without being too close to Camden, and nicer than most of the towns further north. As for finding housing, also try contacting a realtor; I've heard there are more rentals available than what you see advertised on craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia