Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 PM

34 posts, read 89,087 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if property taxes in Camden county are affected if a property is sold? We are set to purchase a home and the "assessment" is $100k lower than the sale price. Will the sale affect the taxes or cause a reassessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM

592 posts, read 1,473,985 times
Just my opinion... I am not an expert just a guy who got 2 mortgages recently.

Ive never heard of this triggering a reassessment. But this is a unique scenario.

Sorry to already go off on a tangent...
first thing that jumps out at me is... I dont see how you'll get approved for a mortgage unless you put an s-load of money down to be mortgaging well below that assessment price ($100k differential).

If house is selling at 500k and assessment is 400k:
The bank is probably gonna say "We'll lend you 80% of the assessment, or 320,000. You'll need 180,000 down payment for the rest"

Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,898,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbarone View Post
Does anyone know if property taxes in Camden county are affected if a property is sold? We are set to purchase a home and the "assessment" is $100k lower than the sale price. Will the sale affect the taxes or cause a reassessment?
Property assessment doesn't change due to a sale and it's not out of the ordinary to see tax assessment value below sale price (market value). Township has been going doing re-assessment around SJ (by town as a whole) to get it close to "market value".

As for bank using assessment value to determine house value? Not likely. When you apply for a mortgage, bank uses an assessor to determine value (not tax assessment value).

Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,621,062 times
Ask the town assessor what the town ratio is. Assessments do not always equal 100% of true value.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 PM

745 posts, read 1,435,454 times
I think they have regular assessments.. whether it be annual or bi-annual or whatever.

Not sure if it helps... as I am guessing... but I think that the sale will NOT cause an assessment. that said: the tax cost might jump a bit on their next regular evaluation.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,898,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
I think they have regular assessments.. whether it be annual or bi-annual or whatever.

Not sure if it helps... as I am guessing... but I think that the sale will NOT cause an assessment. that said: the tax cost might jump a bit on their next regular evaluation.
I doubt any township do assessments bi-annually or even annually.

What people are confused with when they see their annual property change, they see it as re-assessment. That is completely incorrect. Tax rate change from years to years, not assessment value. Township don't have the time to re-assess everyone each year. In some of the town in my County, reassessment was about 20 years ago before they did it again last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia