U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 AM

414 posts, read 852,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was mainly thinking about location, safety and commute. I see your point though. Would Marlton be any better? I don't really think so. Moorestown? You can't get any more Wonder Bread than that. OP is going to be working and living in predominantly white areas. I don't know or any black, middle class enclaves in that area.
Marlton and Moorestown are very Wonder Bread..can't argue that. However, if memory serves, Moorestown does have a small AA community (per Wikipedia 6.42% of the town is AA).

As I recall though, it appeared to be a somewhat lower income area vs. the rest of Moorestown and not in line with what the OP is looking for.

I vote for Mt. Laurel...not sure about Mt. Holly or Hainesport...they might be worth a look though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 AM

31,222 posts, read 32,186,423 times
I like Hainesport; Mt. Holly, not so much. Still, I think that they're too far away for an easy commute.

I had black neighbors when I lived in Marlton. I still miss Regina and her family. They were (are) good people. She was one of the group of 'girls' who would watch your kid, feed you when you were sick or run to the store for you when you couldn't get there. I'm pretty sure that I borrowed an egg or a cup of sugar here and there. I wish that I had a neighbor like her now.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,319 times
Thanks for the replies. I do have 2 young kids under the age of 5. I have lived briefly in Voorhees for 2 years but that was 12 years ago. It looks like taking Route 70 to 72 would be the most straight forward to take to Stafford Township. Currently we live in section of DC were 10% of the residence are AA. We just want to live in area were it is safe, good schools and not be the only minority in the area.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM

756 posts, read 2,042,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
Marlton and Moorestown are very Wonder Bread..can't argue that.
Marlton is diverse. There are new apartments and new homes as well as older homes, townhomes, all sort of housing and busy corridors. A new Indian cultural center has opened there.

It's more welcoming IMO than Cherry Hill East by the high school and Voorhees border, where it just comes down to you have to be wealthy in order to fit in. Or you live in a very old home off 70 in one of those developments, and feel like an outcast from that group.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 AM

31,222 posts, read 32,186,423 times
While some are better than others, I don't think that there are any bad schools in what I consider to be the target area. Most of the neighborhoods are safe, if not very, very safe.

The area in which you'll be working is probably more white than where you will live. Seeing an AA family in Manahawkin or on Long Beach Island is a curiosity. There aren't many.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:08 PM

691 posts, read 2,924,695 times
I vote for Mount Laurel too. You can also avoid most of the congestion on Route 70 depending on which part of the township you are in. If you are in the northern portion of Mt. Laurel, you can take Route 38 all the way to Magnolia Road which takes you right to the 70/72 circle. If you are in the southern/eastern portion, you can take Church Road to New Freedom Road to Chairville Road which puts you back on Route 70 after the more congested Marlton and Medford portions.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 PM

50 posts, read 56,777 times
I grew up in Voorhees and currently live in Mt. laurel so I know the area well. My neighborhood (Stonegate) has a lot of different races. My next door neighbors are Indian (cool peeps,) other neighbor is black, we have white, Asian, etc... Our community pool in the summer time is like the United Nations.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,098 times
Mount Laurel is quite diverse. We live in the SE corner, near Lenape HS, and can get to LBI for a beach day in about an hour, so a commute to Stafford Twp would not be that bad. My husband commutes to Philly in as little as a half hour, if the traffic cooperates, so we feel it's a nice central location. I believe our taxes are less than Medford's, and I *know* they are much less than Moorestown's.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 AM

512 posts, read 961,378 times
Yeah, the suburbs are more diverse than you think. And pretty welcoming to all in your target area. It is the Northeast after all. If you were moving to Philly/, that would be a whole other can of worms imo.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:28 PM

244 posts, read 708,861 times
If you live in Moorestown near 38 you can take that to magnolia road and shoot over to 72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia