U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,173 times

Advertisements

Relocating to the Philly area for a new job from northern NJ and trying to find the right town to live. We're looking in Haddon Twp, Haddonfield, Moorestown, Mt. Laurel and Medford and will commute to Philly 2 days/week. 4bd 2ba around 500k is the budget which seems to put us out of reach for Haddonfield and Moorestown. Need a community with very good schools and close to some shopping like drug store, dry cleaners, barber - don't want to live at the mall. Any info is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM

884 posts, read 1,550,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnjtosouthnj View Post
Relocating to the Philly area for a new job from northern NJ and trying to find the right town to live. We're looking in Haddon Twp, Haddonfield, Moorestown, Mt. Laurel and Medford and will commute to Philly 2 days/week. 4bd 2ba around 500k is the budget which seems to put us out of reach for Haddonfield and Moorestown. Need a community with very good schools and close to some shopping like drug store, dry cleaners, barber - don't want to live at the mall. Any info is appreciated!
Haddon Township would likely fit the bill. Cheaper than Haddonfield or Moorestown, but with some of the same amenities. If you live in the Westmont section, you can take advantage of the conveniences of Haddonfield without the pricetag. You can also entertain taking the PATCO in Philly if you don't feel like driving. Haddon Heights is also an option. Collingswood is a nice-looking town, but the schools aren't as good. Cherry Hill, Mt. Laurel, and Voorhees are all fine too if you don't mind driving to get to most things.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:59 AM

75 posts, read 102,758 times
You can definitely get a nice 4/2 in Haddonfield for under $500K. Another beautiful example. Haddonfield and Moorestown have the best schools in the area. Haddon Township is a great option as well if you're looking to save on housing. I live in Haddon Township myself, and I love having the social events, restaurants and shops of both Haddonfield and Collingswood so close at hand.

For dry cleaning, I highly recommend Haddonfield Cleaners on Haddon Ave.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,179,822 times
Quote:
What's your definition of "close"? Walkable or short driving?

Of the town you listed, Mt. Laurel is one that doesn't really have a "main street".

Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,199,049 times
Quote:
Haddon Heights is also a perfectly good choice.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM

402 posts, read 709,140 times
People overlook the Lenola section of moorestown. Still has cheaper housing over there.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,173 times
Thank you! I'd like to be within 5-10 minutes of the basics - don't want a 20-30 minute round trip for the drug store. Mt Laurel seems to be a drive to everything (?). I've been told to avoid Haddon Heights for some reason (maybe the schools?). Medford is beautiful but the commute seems very long especially by train - heard it is 1 hour but thinking it will be longer (?). Looking for a nice place (that will hopefully hold its value) for the family.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 AM

283 posts, read 577,497 times
I would try and find something in Haddonfield or Moorestown on your budget. Haddon Township and Haddon Heights are good suggestions, but I think you risk being the most expensive house on the block.

In terms of commuting, the Collingswood/Haddon Township/Haddonfield area makes for relatively easy commuting to Mount Laurel. You can either take 38, 70, or 295. I take 38 and consistently make it to the Mount Laurel/Cherry Hill/Marlton border (where I work) in about 15-17 minutes.

Anywhere near PATCO will be incredibly convenient to the city for commuting or liesure. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,199,049 times
Quote:
Thank you! I'd like to be within 5-10 minutes of the basics - don't want a 20-30 minute round trip for the drug store. Mt Laurel seems to be a drive to everything (?). I've been told to avoid Haddon Heights for some reason (maybe the schools?). Medford is beautiful but the commute seems very long especially by train - heard it is 1 hour but thinking it will be longer (?). Looking for a nice place (that will hopefully hold its value) for the family.
There is no valid reason to avoid Haddon Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia