U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 AM

125 posts, read 194,088 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My wife and I just moved to Collingswood in December. We are looking to put up a fence at some point. We are a corner lot. None of the yard is fenced in, and for a little bit of privacy, we want to fence the backyard and part of the side yard. We want to put up a 6 feet vinyl fence, maybe the kind with some basket weaving pattern on the very top of the fence.

But when I read the Collingswood fencing regulations, it basically says no side fence should exceed four feet. But as I walk through Collingswood, I see corner lots with fences that exceed this limit.
Is there some kind of loop hole with this? Or am I just not reading this correctly?

Code:
"Fences and walls shall not be located in any required sight triangle. No fence or wall shall exceed four feet in height in front of the front yard setback line of the principal structure or six feet in height behind such front yard setback line. Fences in the front yard shall be open in design and be of wood, wrought iron, or simulated wrought iron in construction. No stockade fences, enclosed or solid fences or enclosed or solid walls shall be permitted. No fence shall be erected of barbed wire, topped with spikes nor constructed of any material that may be dangerous to persons or animals. On lots with frontage on two or more streets, including corner lots, no fence or wall shall exceed four feet in height in front of the front yard or side yard setback line of the principal structure. Lots with frontage on two or more streets, including corner lots, shall be considered to have two front yards."

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM

212 posts, read 583,822 times
Here's the contact for Zoning and Planning Zoning and Planning | Collingswood, New Jersey

I'd give a call and get the information directly from the borough.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 AM

122 posts, read 177,419 times
When I looked at a few houses in Collingswood I asked my realtor about this same issue. She told me that some fences predate the zoning ordinance and are grandfathered in, some are up in violation of the zoning ordinance, and others are there after the owners obtained a variance. She said getting a variance could be difficult, but some people are able to get one.

The other alternative is putting up a compliant fence, and then planting bushes behind the fence and letting them grow into a wall of greenery. The bushes can be as tall as you want to let them grow.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM

592 posts, read 1,365,631 times
Apply for permit (with required property layout drawing) and see what they say.
You'll probably be told it needs to go to a zoning hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: