U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
31,222 posts, read 32,186,423 times
Reputation: 40367
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But dont people also like to go out for an activity? Gambling isnt just about gambling. It has always been a way to go out, meet people, mix and mingle. That was the allure of it too, not just making bank.

How are the Casinos in PA? Are they like the Empire city, or the Resorts World in NYC? If so, then the competition is not too stiff. Turning Stone, Foxwoods, Mohegan, are not really something to write home about either.
I really couldn't care less about gambling. I like AC because there is an ocean and beach, boardwalk, beach bars, a lighthouse. You can catch a sunset cruise or fishing trip. If you choose to go to AC rather than another beach town, it usually means that you're going to spend a few dollars in a casino. If the whole town were more desirable, obviously, more people would go there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Mount Laurel
4,187 posts, read 11,179,822 times
Reputation: 3507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But dont people also like to go out for an activity? Gambling isnt just about gambling. It has always been a way to go out, meet people, mix and mingle. That was the allure of it too, not just making bank.

How are the Casinos in PA? Are they like the Empire city, or the Resorts World in NYC? If so, then the competition is not too stiff. Turning Stone, Foxwoods, Mohegan, are not really something to write home about either.

"Activity? Meet people, mix and mingle?" Not at AC. We are not talking about Vegas here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 AM
 
Location: North by Northwest
8,463 posts, read 11,754,459 times
Reputation: 5553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
"Frantic City, Frantic City - doctor's a plumber, yabba - dabba - doo." lol!

Between the PA casinos and online gambling, AC is going to become "Frantic" and an alternative as a "Wildwood north" sought of one day imho.
Atlantic City is already trashy, as casinos are inherently trashy places (IE, lots of "Wildwood types" already abound).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 AM
 
Location: The REAL WORLD.
21,274 posts, read 6,078,281 times
Reputation: 9440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I really couldn't care less about gambling. I like AC because there is an ocean and beach, boardwalk, beach bars, a lighthouse. You can catch a sunset cruise or fishing trip. If you choose to go to AC rather than another beach town, it usually means that you're going to spend a few dollars in a casino. If the whole town were more desirable, obviously, more people would go there.
To me, gambling in AC is an after thought. I'll find other places to go and other things to do. I do agree that there needs to be an upgrade in the City of AC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM
 
820 posts, read 1,152,924 times
Reputation: 1180
I'm young but do not really believe in gambling, I'd rather do business. Me, and my friends do not go to AC to just gamble. Its about having fun going to clubs ect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 PM
 
14,541 posts, read 11,781,792 times
Reputation: 8609
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
"Activity? Meet people, mix and mingle?" Not at AC. We are not talking about Vegas here.
Then they need to make AC more about that then. It is in the middle of the northeast corridor. They have the location. If they build it, maybe they will come, and that is still better than nothing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,687 times
Reputation: 10
imho, the ac goers, especially the gamblers, are largely either locals or just simply there for the gambling. it certainly loses to vegas in the mingling, fun department.
it feels like when people think of fun and vacation, going all out, it's vegas.
ac, more like quieter and mostly for the gambling
then again, it's just my opinion
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 03:49 PM
 
705 posts, read 589,446 times
Reputation: 919
Well another blow to A.C Showboat one of my favorite casinos is closing in two months. A.C is going to be the Detroit of New Jersey


Showboat Atlantic City to Close: Union | NBC 10 Philadelphia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM
 
Location: North by Northwest
8,463 posts, read 11,754,459 times
Reputation: 5553
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Well another blow to A.C Showboat one of my favorite casinos is closing in two months. A.C is going to be the Detroit of New Jersey


Showboat Atlantic City to Close: Union | NBC 10 Philadelphia
LOL I think Camden has long held that "honor." Again, AC has been a trash heap since the late '60s. But even if every last casino in AC were to close, it still has a beach and boardwalk. That doesn't make it not a trash heap, but it's entire "renaissance" was based on being a trash heap, albeit a marketable one. Without the casinos, it would be a more urban Wildwood.

Hey, us Downbeachers (Longport/Margate/Ventnor) have to get our seedy underbelly fix somewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 02:39 PM
 
5,489 posts, read 3,234,215 times
Reputation: 6940
AC is a dump. The people who live in that city are savages, the casinos bus in savages. I'd love to see it plowed down and turned into a golf course.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top