Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 06:13 AM

516 posts, read 1,613,007 times

Advertisements

The building is presently being demolished. Does anyone have an idea of what will be going on the lot? My guess would be a bank since these things pop up like flies. But, I'm being sarcastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,879,456 times
I believe it's going to be a family restaurant (pizzeria type) restaurant.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:16 AM

Today's Courier-Post revealed that the old building will become a Pepper Mill restaurant that serves pizza, hoagies and salads with seating for 100. It will be the same restaurant as the one in West Chester, PA. The new owner is investing approximately $2m into the facility.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,879,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Today's Courier-Post revealed that the old building will become a Pepper Mill restaurant that serves pizza, hoagies and salads with seating for 100. It will be the same restaurant as the one in West Chester, PA. The new owner is investing approximately $2m into the facility.
I believe I saw that there will be outdoor patio in one of the meeting minutes.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:57 PM

756 posts, read 2,112,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
That seems quite an investment for a location that isn't that easy to get or visible from when one is traveling on 70E. And there is a Wawa near it that sells hoagies. The Big Johns owner left that site for W. Berlin not because W. Berlin has better demographics than Cherry Hill.

I wonder why this new restaurant didn't look at G Boys site in Marlton? It's much easier to get to from both sides of 70 and from Marlton and Medford. Maybe that site is more more expensive to clear, but it's much better in terms of location.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:02 AM

32,795 posts, read 36,046,145 times
You're right with that one. I don't know where Big John's was.

I agree that the G Boys site is easier to get to, but there's a Primo Hoagie and two pizza places in that area, in addition to McDonalds, Marlton Diner and Mexican Food Factory.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 PM

I disagree with the perspective that Big John's is in a poor location. When heading westbound on Rte 70, one just has to take the jughandle on Marlkress/greentree road. When heading eastbound the site is easily accessible and permits easy access to both westbound Rte 70 and eastbound Rte 70 as the exit from the site puts one right on Marlkress Road. The parking is also abundant.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM

756 posts, read 2,112,527 times
If one is coming from the central part of Cherry Hill, let's use Cherry Hill Library as the starting point, and heading to this site, the person will have to drive on 70E, then be in the far most right lane where there are more than 2 lanes, take Marlkress and then make a loop on Old Cuthbert Rd, and then make a Left turn to cross back to 70. A complicated U-Turn.

This person likely won't even see the new restaurant on the other side of 70 as it's six lanes and if the light is green, everyone is driving fast. The same problem would happen if coming from the east side of Cherry Hill. Will the person be quick enough to switch to the right most lane after spotting the new restaurant?

I believe having good visibility and ability for a driver to turn in from either side (E or W) without a complicated U-turn is important for good site access.

Except for the Korean shopping center and few specialty stores (the high end bike store - Danzeisen & Quigley) where people seek out the stores, a lot of smaller business do poorly in this stretch of 70 and there has to be a reason why Big Johns left Cherry Hill for West Berlin. Many from west of 295 might not even head there anyway when there are so many dining choices around in Barclay, Ellisburg and the former race track areas.

For those east of I-295, those coming in consider anywhere on 70 to the 73 intersection as close. There are better available sites in my opinion but maybe the new owners got a good deal with this one.

There are offices up on Springdale Road in Cherry Hill and off Horizon Way in Mt. Laurel, and it's not too far for attracting lunch traffic from that area. Also maybe it will offer delivery and advertise to those staying in Extended Stay America and the Residence Inn.

Last edited by avg12; 05-22-2014 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,441,292 times
noooooooo I love big johns especially the pickle bar

Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
If one is coming from the central part of Cherry Hill, let's use Cherry Hill Library as the starting point, and heading to this site, the person will have to drive on 70E, then be in the far most right lane where there are more than 2 lanes, take Marlkress and then make a loop on Old Cuthbert Rd, and then make a Left turn to cross back to 70. A complicated U-Turn.

This person likely won't even see the new restaurant on the other side of 70 as it's six lanes and if the light is green, everyone is driving fast. The same problem would happen if coming from the east side of Cherry Hill. Will the person be quick enough to switch to the right most lane after spotting the new restaurant?

I believe having good visibility and ability for a driver to turn in from either side (E or W) without a complicated U-turn is important for good site access.

Except for the Korean shopping center and few specialty stores (the high end bike store - Danzeisen & Quigley) where people seek out the stores, a lot of smaller business do poorly in this stretch of 70 and there has to be a reason why Big Johns left Cherry Hill for West Berlin. Many from west of 295 might not even head there anyway when there are so many dining choices around in Barclay, Ellisburg and the former race track areas.

For those east of I-295, those coming in consider anywhere on 70 to the 73 intersection as close. There are better available sites in my opinion but maybe the new owners got a good deal with this one.

There are offices up on Springdale Road in Cherry Hill and off Horizon Way in Mt. Laurel, and it's not too far for attracting lunch traffic from that area. Also maybe it will offer delivery and advertise to those staying in Extended Stay America and the Residence Inn.

It may be hard to get to, but no harder than most sites on rte 70. However, the egress from the site affords accessibility to either the east or the west via Marlkress Road. This makes the site more accessible (and better) than most on rte 70. With the right signage, the place will be quite visible. The place survived for years. Rumor has it that there were personal reasons for the closure of the rte 70 location.

Regardless, I still maintain that it has improved accessibility compared to other locations due to the ease of exiting onto Rte 70 east or west. For me, this was a big positive when choosing to visit Big Johns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia