U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 PM
WXW WXW started this thread

28 posts, read 51,084 times

Advertisements

Anyone moving to NC? Thinking of Charlotte.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:36 PM

31,192 posts, read 32,139,924 times
Um, no.

It's really hot, really humid in the summer and I don't like BBQ that much. Still, AA's are or can be treated pretty shabbily. I lived there for nine years and I wouldn't move back. I met some very nice people when I lived there, but I didn't like the atmosphere. Despite doing my very best to fit in, a few people still referred to me as "that Yankee".

Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXW View Post
I moved from Cherry Hill to a small city west of Charlotte. (Commutable)

Old 06-30-2014, 06:43 AM

6,318 posts, read 9,486,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Um, no.

It's really hot, really humid in the summer and I don't like BBQ that much. Still, AA's are or can be treated pretty shabbily. I lived there for nine years and I wouldn't move back. I met some very nice people when I lived there, but I didn't like the atmosphere. Despite doing my very best to fit in, a few people still referred to me as "that Yankee".
Where in NC did you live and when? NC is a pretty big state. Charlotte and Raleigh are growing rapidly and don't fit a lot of the typical southern stereotypes.

I moved from SJ to Charlotte 3 years ago. Summer lasts longer obviously, but no single day is really any hotter than it gets in NJ IMO. You may hear the term Yankee but it's usually not that derogatory, and there are a ton of transplants here anyway. I'm not AA so can't comment specifically on that point, but unless you're way out on the outskirts I haven't really noticed anyone being treated any differently. There are a lot of AA people in the area, but really only a few pockets where the diversity is more than just black/white.

LOL at the BBQ comment, you don't need to eat BBQ to live in NC, and technically I think Charlotte's BBQ is looked down upon by the rest of the state. There are even good pizza and bagel shops in the Charlotte area, many more than I found when living in MD.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:08 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Where in NC did you live and when? NC is a pretty big state. Charlotte and Raleigh are growing rapidly and don't fit a lot of the typical southern stereotypes.

I moved from SJ to Charlotte 3 years ago. Summer lasts longer obviously, but no single day is really any hotter than it gets in NJ IMO. You may hear the term Yankee but it's usually not that derogatory, and there are a ton of transplants here anyway. I'm not AA so can't comment specifically on that point, but unless you're way out on the outskirts I haven't really noticed anyone being treated any differently. There are a lot of AA people in the area, but really only a few pockets where the diversity is more than just black/white.

LOL at the BBQ comment, you don't need to eat BBQ to live in NC, and technically I think Charlotte's BBQ is looked down upon by the rest of the state. There are even good pizza and bagel shops in the Charlotte area, many more than I found when living in MD.
Don't forget that there's a tiny chain to get a hoagy. They are acceptable. Some restaurants are offering Amorosa rolls.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I didn't hate living there. I just don't like it enough to want to move back.

We lived in SW Cumberland County when my husband was stationed at Ft. Bragg. It was a nice life. We lived in a lovely suburban home in a lovely suburban neighborhood. I had everything--supermarkets, library, salon, etc--that I could possibly need. I was a five minute drive from semi-rural and a fifteen minute drive from rural. While I grew up in the NE, I've never been a city girl, so I saw that as a plus. We visited family up north twice a year and I got all of the bagels, pizza, hoagies and pastrami that I wanted which would sustain me until the next visit.

Summers did feel hotter to me. When I moved from NC to NJ, I used to bask in the afternoon summer sun to warm up.

While I was only called Yankee once, lol, it was the other comments which bothered me. I was told I would never understand the way that person felt or what they thought... because they were southern and I wasn't. Well, OK. I guess I'll have to trust you on that one.

While it wasn't pervasive, I've never heard the word ni@@er tossed around as much as when I lived in that area. Sometimes it was directed toward a person, and sometimes used as an expression of frustration or anger. I never got used to that.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:31 AM

72 posts, read 76,735 times
I had to move from Burlington County down to the Asheville area almost a year ago. If you want to continue to work, stay on the Raleigh/Charlotte/Wilmington side. It's pretty here in the mountains, but finding work has been difficult at best.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 AM

6,318 posts, read 9,486,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't hate living there. I just don't like it enough to want to move back.

We lived in SW Cumberland County when my husband was stationed at Ft. Bragg. It was a nice life. We lived in a lovely suburban home in a lovely suburban neighborhood. I had everything--supermarkets, library, salon, etc--that I could possibly need. I was a five minute drive from semi-rural and a fifteen minute drive from rural. While I grew up in the NE, I've never been a city girl, so I saw that as a plus. We visited family up north twice a year and I got all of the bagels, pizza, hoagies and pastrami that I wanted which would sustain me until the next visit.

Summers did feel hotter to me. When I moved from NC to NJ, I used to bask in the afternoon summer sun to warm up.

While I was only called Yankee once, lol, it was the other comments which bothered me. I was told I would never understand the way that person felt or what they thought... because they were southern and I wasn't. Well, OK. I guess I'll have to trust you on that one.

While it wasn't pervasive, I've never heard the word ni@@er tossed around as much as when I lived in that area. Sometimes it was directed toward a person, and sometimes used as an expression of frustration or anger. I never got used to that.
Eh, I still think it's tough to make generalizations about the whole state rather than just talking about a specific area.

Comparing Cumberland County NC to the Charlotte area is like comparing Cumberland County NJ to Camden County.

For one I think the Fayetteville area actually is a little hotter than the Charlotte area.

And I rarely hear the n-word. I haven't spent that much time in the Fayetteville area but I am surprised that there would be that much disdain for transplants there since Ft. Bragg is the biggest employer.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Eh, I still think it's tough to make generalizations about the whole state rather than just talking about a specific area.

Comparing Cumberland County NC to the Charlotte area is like comparing Cumberland County NJ to Camden County.

For one I think the Fayetteville area actually is a little hotter than the Charlotte area.

And I rarely hear the n-word. I haven't spent that much time in the Fayetteville area but I am surprised that there would be that much disdain for transplants there since Ft. Bragg is the biggest employer.
At least I wasn't comparing the whole state to Hoke county, which, when I lived there, was the poorest county in the state.

Fayetteville probably is hotter than Charlotte. It may not be the hot spot of the state, but it felt like it.

Oh, the disdain for transplants. Most people there are OK with the military presence. There's a bit of resentment towards retirees, family members and vendors who move in and land all of the decent jobs. This is off topic.

When I lived there, I visited Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Hickory, stayed with friend north of Charlotte. I visited every beach that I could. Sadly, I never got to the mountains in the western part of the state. I think that I would have loved that area.

Funny, when I moved to NC, one of the things that I liked about the area was that it reminded me of Southern New Jersey.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM

589 posts, read 1,145,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXW View Post
We currently have three sets of friends who have bought into the "plantation" communities in Brunswick County....This area is approximately from Wilmington, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC. We don't plan on moving for about four more years - but many many people from South Jersey (we are in Mt. Laurel) currently own property down there. Taxes are cheaper than the Raleigh area - and we are about 2.5-3 hours from Raleigh-Durham I believe. We will be retired at that time, so work is not the issue for us. Feel free to contact me directly regarding this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: