U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 25,634,411 times

Advertisements

This was the Original Plan for Interurban Service in South Jersey

https://sites.google.com/site/getthe...sit/river-line

Cape May Line & Atlantic City upgrade

https://sites.google.com/site/getthe...ntic-city-line

A Proposal from the Mid 90s to reactivate a North-South Link , Vineland/AC to NY service

https://sites.google.com/site/getthe...sey-coast-line

This came up in the Early 2000s , like a I-195 rail link

https://sites.google.com/site/getthe...oms-river-line
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,152,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Question: Where's the local government representatives voice in all of this?
Local governments are not represented in PATCO.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
As it should

In all seriousness, SJ still lacks mass transit and these developments are disappointing. I would have loved to take a trip on the Gloucester light rail, but I probably won't be living in the area when it's finished. That said, North Jersey has also suffered delayed/cancelled projects too (Elizabeth/Cranford line, south Broad line in Newark, Hawthorne-Hackensack project...the West Side extension of the HBLR remains in limbo too). Really, we need a state and federal government serious about funding mass transit.
The state bus system did not exist in South Jersey until Red Arrow folded. Red Arrow was out of SE PA. South Jersey money was used like a piggy bank for North Jersey transit. Then there's the mess at the intersection of 42 & 295. That's been like that since the 60s.

Do you think people in South Jersey feel bad for people in North Jersey if there's a kink in their transit system when the closest thing to a transit system in South Jersey is some busses, & they give mediocre coverage.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 PM

1,954 posts, read 3,669,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Then there's the mess at the intersection of 42 & 295. That's been like that since the 60s.
Finally being fixed!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Finally being fixed!
I'll believe it when it's done. It was like that when my family moved there in 64. A fix has been promised before.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM

7,685 posts, read 5,689,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Local governments are not represented in PATCO.
Well that "****s".

So hypothetically PATCO could house illegals in their train cars and nobody could say anything about it.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:30 AM

14,502 posts, read 8,718,251 times
Am I the only one who's worried about disruption and environmental degradation? At least they're studying the probable effects on the environment and historic-preservation, as the article states. Good thing it is the government in charge of this, and not private enterprise, because if it were the latter, they'd have gone ahead with it, adverse effects are a kind of cost passed onto people not involved in the project, it's only about the bottom line. I don't live along that rail line, but plenty of people do. I can't stand the "progress" and "development" that's constantly touted. If I wanted to live in North Jersey, that's where I'd move.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 AM

8,572 posts, read 12,091,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Am I the only one who's worried about disruption and environmental degradation? At least they're studying the probable effects on the environment and historic-preservation, as the article states. Good thing it is the government in charge of this, and not private enterprise, because if it were the latter, they'd have gone ahead with it, adverse effects are a kind of cost passed onto people not involved in the project, it's only about the bottom line. I don't live along that rail line, but plenty of people do. I can't stand the "progress" and "development" that's constantly touted. If I wanted to live in North Jersey, that's where I'd move.
You sound like a hardcore NIMBY.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 PM

26 posts, read 65,719 times
Has it been determined whether the service will run 24/7, like the Camden County line? That would be great for people enjoying the nightlife and sports in Philly (especially for the college campus in Glassboro). I also hope they consider the last stop to be in Philly, on top of the tracks already there. Although, it may not be possible, given it's light rail and CC line is not.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 PM

8,572 posts, read 12,091,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Nightly View Post
Has it been determined whether the service will run 24/7, like the Camden County line?
I doubt we will know the hours of service until the line is near completion. Since the Glassboro-Camden Line will be similar to the Riverline technology(light rail), I highly doubt it will run 24/7 since the Riverline doesn't run 24/7. Keep in mind that very cities in the world run their rail lines 24/7. The Philly area is on that short list.

Quote:
That would be great for people enjoying the nightlife and sports in Philly (especially for the college campus in Glassboro). I also hope they consider the last stop to be in Philly, on top of the tracks already there. Although, it may not be possible, given it's light rail and CC line is not.
Unfortunately, the line is suppose to terminate in Camden. I personally wish the line would terminate in Philly but they would need to build a bridge or tunnel to get from Camden to Philly because I don't think light rail cars would fit across the PATCO "rapid transit" railways on the Ben Franklin Bridge. As cheap as this state is, I just can't see them paying the necessary cost to build either a bridge or a tunnel, even though it would be a great long term investment as that line could potentially rival PATCO ridership. I'll even go as far as to say that if a 2nd PATCO line that ran from Philly to Millville, NJ, it would probably have double the ridership of the PATCO line in Camden County. Not to mention the Glassboro-Camden Line would probably slow down service for the PATCO if they shared the same tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia