Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 AM

592 posts, read 1,473,985 times

Advertisements

Additional surveys delay S. Jersey light rail report - Philly.com
From a few days ago.

Seems there are a few minor details to work out... Like who pays for the 1.6 billion construction, and who operates/maintains the trains at what could probably be a loss.
But significant questions remain on how the line would be paid for or who would operate the trains.
The Delaware River Port Authority is overseeing the ongoing environmental studies, but DRPA officials have said the agency will not pay for or run the rail line. NJ Transit has not committed to paying for it or operating it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,176,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Additional surveys delay S. Jersey light rail report - Philly.com
From a few days ago.

Seems there are a few minor details to work out... Like who pays for the 1.6 billion construction, and who operates/maintains the trains at what could probably be a loss.
But significant questions remain on how the line would be paid for or who would operate the trains.
The Delaware River Port Authority is overseeing the ongoing environmental studies, but DRPA officials have said the agency will not pay for or run the rail line. NJ Transit has not committed to paying for it or operating it
It's going to die as a possibility imo.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Wouldn't be the first time.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Wouldn't be the first time.
Many people need to have their word(s) be true and count first here in south jersey, too many lies and exaggerations as well as no apologies for their wrongdoings from my experiences down here in the 2 plus years I'm here. It has to do with the unorganized/corrupt state of whatever within the local governments I say.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:47 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,959,988 times
Quote:
It's only a delay for several months. It's not the end of the world. In fact, the article states that construction of the Glassboro-Camden Line could start as early as 2016, which is only two years away. While I wish this transit project was heavy rail like the PATCO, I'm still grateful that it's something instead of nothing. If nothing gets done and the project is abandoned, the problem doesn't go away as we will have to deal with the same issues 10-20 years from now except that the problem will be even worse as the population and traffic levels continue to increase in South Jersey.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's only a delay for several months. It's not the end of the world. In fact, the article states that construction of the Glassboro-Camden Line could start as early as 2016, which is only two years away. While I wish this transit project was heavy rail like the PATCO, I'm still grateful that it's something instead of nothing. If nothing gets done and the project is abandoned, the problem doesn't go away as we will have to deal with the same issues 10-20 years from now except that the problem will be even worse as the population and traffic levels continue to increase in South Jersey.
You mean possibly several years or decades. A matter of decoding south jersey bs language and lies, just like there's a Wendy's going up on Cross Keys Road in Sicklerville and it initially said to open early spring 2014 - well it's still under construction.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
Quote:
Many people need to have their word(s) be true and count first here in south jersey, too many lies and exaggerations as well as no apologies for their wrongdoings from my experiences down here in the 2 plus years I'm here. It has to do with the unorganized/corrupt state of whatever within the local governments I say.
It's been written in other threads that PATCO wanted to expand the original line into Burlington County (through Moorestown) & into Gloucester County to Glassboro in the 1970s. Federal money was still available for heavy rail. The state government refused to consider it. South Jersey's money continued to be sent to North Jersey for their transit systems.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM

882 posts, read 1,665,744 times
Quote:
It's been written in other threads that PATCO wanted to expand the original line into Burlington County (through Moorestown) & into Gloucester County to Glassboro in the 1970s. Federal money was still available for heavy rail. The state government refused to consider it. South Jersey's money continued to be sent to North Jersey for their transit systems.
As it should

In all seriousness, SJ still lacks mass transit and these developments are disappointing. I would have loved to take a trip on the Gloucester light rail, but I probably won't be living in the area when it's finished. That said, North Jersey has also suffered delayed/cancelled projects too (Elizabeth/Cranford line, south Broad line in Newark, Hawthorne-Hackensack project...the West Side extension of the HBLR remains in limbo too). Really, we need a state and federal government serious about funding mass transit.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Question: Where's the local government representatives voice in all of this?

Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,804,080 times
Most of the Northern Jersey projects are sheveled...not canceled. NJT has even bought some of the Freight lines in prep for the commuter service....so they intend to eventually have service. The leadership at NJT needs to change...and the thought process behind the lines. The Bergen-Passaic LRT has gone through many alt ideas and proposals , the final plan was very botched and silly compared to the older plans which were more integrated. Same happened to a few Central Projects the first concept was great , but then it was wither down to a botched plan which didn't serve as many ppl as the original plan and was of course met with opposition from the towns left out. NJT over the last 5 years has spent 2.6 billion on wasteful pork , thats enough for a few smaller but critical lines in North and Central Jersey. If the leadership was more progressive i'm sure you'd see more action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia