Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon! Some of you may recognize me as the poster who posts in the Philadelphia forum. Anyways, as an honors student, I am beginning to do preliminary research on the topic of my honors thesis. I have officially decided that my project will be about rail transportation in the Delaware Valley. It will be a combination thesis, bringing together the history of rail transportation in the area, and an urban and suburban planning aspect involving solutions to the Philly area's continued growth. Philadelphia, the four surrounding counties (Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Bucks), PA counties outside of the Metro Philly area (Berks, Lehigh, Northampton, and Schuylkill), South Jersey, Northern Delaware, and Cecil County, Maryland will all be areas of focus in my honors thesis. At the moment, I am finishing up the heavy rail portion of my preliminary research.

Now that my Philadelphia subway map is done (Philadelphia Subway Proposal : Scribble Maps), I am working on the PATCO extension map. I am also considering extending the green route in my Philly map to Mt. Holly. According to my new map, PATCO will go past Lindenwold to Clementon, where two branch lines will split:

1.) The first branch will go to Millville, with stops at Clementon, Gloucester Township, Turnersville, Washington Township, Rowan University, Glassboro, Clayton, Franklinville, Malaga, Newfield, Vineland, a NJ Route 55 park-and-ride, and Millville.

2.) The second branch will be much shorter, heading to Winslow Township. Preliminary stops are at Pine Hill, Sicklerville and Crews Landing Stown Roads, Sicklerville, and Winslow Township.

Is this a good idea? Will this conflict with any of the planned light rail or existing public transportation (AC Line and bus routes)? I do not know that much about South Jersey, its needs, or NJ state politics, so this is why I am starting this thread. Thank you! Here is the map:

PATCO Philadelphia and New Jersey Extension Map : Scribble Maps

NOTE: This map is VERY preliminary. I will fine tune it as more information becomes available and when I actually start working on my thesis next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
My work in process - leverages a lot of ROW but is a LRT hybrid

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...o.k2bFHU6_UMcc

Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
My work in process - leverages a lot of ROW but is a LRT hybrid

Your map definitely covers all areas of the Delaware Valley that need transit! I love the Loop Line that you have going on!

P.S. I am so sorry! My browser froze up and moved your green Loop Line slightly out of place. Please forgive me.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Your map definitely covers all areas of the Delaware Valley that need transit! I love the Loop Line that you have going on!

P.S. I am so sorry! My browser froze up and moved your green Loop Line slightly out of place. Please forgive me.
No worries, fixed it and added an PATCO extension in Philly on my map - new stop at 20th and Walnut and then at 30th street

BTW where did your original map go with the other lines you added was going to take another look

don't know Jersey as well to do a PATCO extension

Old 08-07-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No worries, fixed it and added an PATCO extension in Philly on my map - new stop at 20th and Walnut and then at 30th street

BTW where did your original map go with the other lines you added was going to take another look

don't know Jersey as well to do a PATCO extension
Philadelphia Subway Proposal : Scribble Maps

Here is the latest update. I have realigned the teal line on 20th Street to travel along Spring Garden St., and I have added a Germantown Extension originating from the flying junction at Erie Station on the BSL mainline to Bethlehem Pike (for now) in Chestnut Hill. You and I had the same idea about PATCO, too! I have a 20th Street Station as well (to be named Rittenhouse Square), but my PATCO line is extended to 38th Street to serve the ever-growing University City. The new PATCO stops in Philly would be Rittenhouse Square (20th and Walnut), 30th Street, and 38th Street.

EDIT: I have also extended the purple line from City Ave to Cheltenham Ave, running along Chelten and Ogontz Aves.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
You do realize that there is a defunct station at Franklin Square, don't you?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:37 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Man you get to do this for your masters thesis?! Lucky guy. I used to do this stuff to procrastinate.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The DRPA should seriously consider reopening Franklin Square station. It's a nice and convenient subway station to have given its close proximity to Chinatown and Old City.

http://njmonthly.com/downloads/4058/...d/IMG_1631.JPG

Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes I do! Once I start adding stations to my map, Franklin Square will be one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Man you get to do this for your masters thesis?! Lucky guy. I used to do this stuff to procrastinate.
Not graduate haha! This is my undergrad thesis. Since I am an honors student, I must complete a thesis to graduate *** laude, magna *** laude, or summa *** laude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The DRPA should seriously consider reopening Franklin Square station. It's a nice and convenient subway station to have given its close proximity to Chinatown and Old City.

http://njmonthly.com/downloads/4058/...d/IMG_1631.JPG
I agree! Not only is it close to Chinatown and Old City, but the Constitution Center, Independence Mall, and Society Hill aren't that far away from it. Callowhill Street can also be interesting if one really knows the history of Philadelphia!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 PM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
I think your transit corridors need some work. You have to pick corridors with higher population density, higher amount of jobs, and are higher growth corridors. The Pine barrens simply is not this area in South Jersey. I would focus on the 42 freeway Corridor and the Route 38 Corridor. 42 is growing in terms of population and jobs. Its the Focus of the Glassboro light rail project which is now budgeted at 1.6 billion dollars (to give you an idea of how transportation projects cost). and the 38 corridor has lots of jobs and is growing in population, from Camden to Ft. Dix. Both corridors have rail ROW to work with as well as walkable downtowns. P&R freeway corridor transit planning is now really the thing anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia