U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,275 times

Advertisements

I am working in Hamilton, NJ which is a bit south of Princeton and East of Trenton.I am looking at Haddonfield, I drove down after work to check it but hit nasty traffic on the way down and took me about 55 to an hour. I hear they are doing construction? Anyway, my GPS (which is very reliable on time of travel) is saying that it takes 45 minutes during rush hour on the way up, and I am going to check what it says on the way down. Is this a reasonable expectation? 45 minutes?

I like Haddonfield because of PATCO right to Philadelphia, and the area is generally nice. Moorestown could be an option, idk what the scene is like and if it has easy access to Philly like Haddonfield. I am young, 24, and want the relative convenience in my commute and things to do in my town and people to meet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 11:09 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,176,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc717 View Post
Thanks for the timely response. I didn't have to use route 1 when I went down Friday. I hit inordinate amount of traffic but locals said there is construction recently (and it was friday)

Anyway, I am right by hamilton square on route 33. My GPS had me pop on 130 then 195-W (takes me 5 minutes to pop on 195-W) then to 295-S. I am currently looking at a place at 210 w crystal lake avenue. So it is plopped right in Haddonfield.

A coworker of mine said that the way up to work is not bad at all 40 minutes. But coming back, 295 tends to get jammed could be looking at like 50-55 minutes.

Now the Riverline, is that the AC rail line that runs through Cherry Hill? It runs mostly like 6am-10pm or something like that?

I am going to create a new thread too..
The Riverline is not the same as the AC rail. Here is some more info on the Riverline

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRa...lr_rvl_map.pdf

I-195 usually has some traffic (especially in summer because of shore points). There are also constructions along the way on I-295S but it's not too bad.

I don't think the commute is bad and it's not many more exits between the Moorestown (RT38) and Haddonfield Exit.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM

884 posts, read 1,549,599 times
Haddonfield is nice, but a bit pricey, and not too many good rental options. It, (like many nice SJ towns) is also a dry town so there isn't much nightlife, though the restaurants and shops are nice. Collingswood is a bit cheaper and artsier, just a few stops down the PATCO. Westmont in between, where I'm living, doesn't have much of a downtown, but does have the local bars. All are a short trip into Philly. All are close enough to 295 for a short (45 min?) commute to Hamilton. You could also check Bordentown which is quite close to Hamilton and has a nice downtown. The Riverline offers access to Philly but it doesn't run all night, so it's not a great option for a night out in the city. Yardley, just across the river in PA, has train access to Philly and is a short drive to Hamilton. Princeton has the nicest downtown in the area but is the priciest.

Overall South Jersey doesn't have a whole lot going on for young people, but the cost of living is relatively cheap and it's pretty close to a lot.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
The Riverline is not the same as the AC rail. Here is some more info on the Riverline

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRa...lr_rvl_map.pdf

I-195 usually has some traffic (especially in summer because of shore points). There are also constructions along the way on I-295S but it's not too bad.

I don't think the commute is bad and it's not many more exits between the Moorestown (RT38) and Haddonfield Exit.
Definitely, I guess my main concern is traffic will get exponentially worse as I get closer to Haddonfield on the way home. I still can't decipher if the traffic I hit Friday was normal, even if it is, its still not unbearable.

If I can get to work in 40 minutes I would be cool with that, the commute up is more important to me. Plus with my work I'll be working later hours anyway and will be leaving office 6pm+ many nights; thus missing the jams coming back to the area.

Now, other than commute you like the area alot? It is pretty quaint, beautiful houses, nice shops. I would be curious of your opinion, although I tend to be a Philadelphia weekend warrior many of times.

NJHighlands87

It looks like there is bars in nearby locals of Haddonfield. The complex I'm looking at has a liquor store right next to it, but idk the boundaries of dry areas. But going to a location like Collinswood would add how much to my commute?

Also, I wouldn't mind living in PA side, but its transportation doesnt run all night and it plays a large part in my decision making. I'll heed your advice, however, and try to expand my horizons.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:54 PM

The further South you get on I-295S on Friday night (past Delran exit) the higher the volume because of people heading toward the shores. The place you mentioned, you will be exiting either Cherry Hill (RT 70west) or you can exit the next exit south (Haddonfield Road). The local traffic around Haddonfield is a bit congested, especially close to Kings Highway.

The Crystal Lake area is by the park and is very close to Philadelphia. Collingswood do have some rough areas around RT 130.

Definitely stay in the side of NJ if you are working in NJ. Once you jump over to living in PA, you may have city wage tax if you are in the city. Being that you are going to Philadelphia a lot, Haddonfield/Collingswood area is a better bet than Moorestown.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:21 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,190,909 times
Quote:
I am working in Hamilton, NJ which is a bit south of Princeton and East of Trenton.I am looking at Haddonfield, I drove down after work to check it but hit nasty traffic on the way down and took me about 55 to an hour. I hear they are doing construction? Anyway, my GPS (which is very reliable on time of travel) is saying that it takes 45 minutes during rush hour on the way up, and I am going to check what it says on the way down. Is this a reasonable expectation? 45 minutes?

I like Haddonfield because of PATCO right to Philadelphia, and the area is generally nice. Moorestown could be an option, idk what the scene is like and if it has easy access to Philly like Haddonfield. I am young, 24, and want the relative convenience in my commute and things to do in my town and people to meet.
Cherry Hill is larger, has a lot more apartments, is not dry, & is close to Haddonfield & Westmont, for PATCO.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 AM

1,622 posts, read 3,798,217 times
Collingswood is also a dry town. I commuted fro. Collingswood to Hamilton NJ for 3 years. It will be closer to an hour each way. 295 gets backed up going north as you head to Trenton in the morning and southbound at the 73 exit on the way home.

The only time I had a 40-45 commute was when I had to be in the office at 6am.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM

589 posts, read 1,146,277 times
Quote:

I live in Mt. Laurel and commute via #295 to Bristol-Myers in Princeton which is North of Hamilton. In the summer I can get to work in about 45 minutes. During the normal year, it will take about one hour, depending on the time I leave. The back up happens as you get closer to Trenton.

I personally would suggest Mt. Laurel for the 'younger crowd' as far as apartments are concerned. If you want to be alittle further north, try Delran - which is about 10-15 minutes North of me.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:44 AM

Problem is OP is 24. I would not suggest Mt. Laurel for a single 24 years old. No easy access to Philadelphia by public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia