Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM

189 posts, read 275,660 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm thinking of applying to grad school at Rutgers-Camden next fall. I'm a Southern Ohio boy, however, and like everyone else I've heard horror stories about the crime in Camden. I guess what I'm wondering is if there's an affordable place to live, within easy driving distance of Rutgers, where I wouldn't have to pass through the high-crime areas on my way to and from school. (Especially as most of my classes will probably be in the evening).

Any insights would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
Hey all,

I'm thinking of applying to grad school at Rutgers-Camden next fall. I'm a Southern Ohio boy, however, and like everyone else I've heard horror stories about the crime in Camden. I guess what I'm wondering is if there's an affordable place to live, within easy driving distance of Rutgers, where I wouldn't have to pass through the high-crime areas on my way to and from school. (Especially as most of my classes will probably be in the evening).

Any insights would be much appreciated!
Most of the suburban towns would be just fine. It would depend on what specifics you want. If you will be commuting to a job, that might make a difference.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:27 PM

I would be taking classes and teaching at Rutgers. If I need additional work I would probably look in Philly, I guess.

Here in Ohio you can get a 1-bedroom for anywhere from $325/mo. (private renters), to $450 (low-end complex), to $550 or so (swankier complex). How does that compare to, say, the New Jersey suburbs close to Rutgers?

I'd be tickled pink to live in Haddonfield, since I'm a horror buff and that's the town Michael Myers is from.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:46 PM

26 posts, read 70,709 times
Have you considered living on campus? They have a new graduate housing complex that opened up in 2012.

Information for Graduate and Post-Graduate Students Considering On-Campus Housing | Housing & Residence Life
(click link after the jump for a virtual tour).

The apartments are very nice, spacious and modern, offering a rare view of Philly. The price is decent, for the amenities and sheer convenience of being a block away from the school and being in the center of major transportation hub.

You'd also be a block away from Patco, which can take you to Philadelphia or shop towns, such as Collingswood and Haddonfield 24 hours a day. I believe the Walter Rand station is near there, too... Offering access to the Riverline, which transfers to a direct line to Manhattan OR take NJ transit to AC. You'll have no time to study with taking all these trips around South Jersey and Philly, haha.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 PM

223 posts, read 321,333 times
My cousin lived in a lower-end complex in Somerdale, which is a suburb of Camden (maybe 15-20 minutes away?) and her rent was in the mid-$700s with heat and hot water included. That's pretty standard for that area of South Jersey. You won't be able to touch $325/month unless you rented a room in someone's house or something, and even that is highly unlikely. Check craigslist for available apartments. I've heard good things about Collingswood... it's on the PATCO line which runs through Camden into Philly and is only a 15-minute train ride to Philly. I think Haddonfield may be out of reach on a student's budget, since the area is like the Princeton of South Jersey, but I could be wrong. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Thanks!

That grad housing is definitely worth looking into... seems expensive at first blush, but once you figure in the cost of heat, electricity, cable, internet, and so on, it's probably the equivalent of paying $750-850/mo. at a place those things aren't included.

I'm hearing a lot about this PATCO line. (Train? Bus?) How much does that cost to ride? I'll most likely have a car, so there's no reason I should be dependent on public transportation, in theory. Is that something most folks ride anyway? Is parking a pain in the area or something?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
To be honest, if you are not even comfortable "passing through" the high-crime areas, going to school at Rutgers-Camden may not be a great idea. The area around the school is safer, but it's still Camden and you still have to drive through other parts of it to get to Rutgers.

But speaking of driving, you won't really need to take PATCO (train) to school. But parking is a pain in Philly if you go there to work (or play) in which case PATCO is useful

And as orangenj stated, be prepared to pay significantly higher than the prices you mentioned.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
I would be taking classes and teaching at Rutgers. If I need additional work I would probably look in Philly, I guess.

Here in Ohio you can get a 1-bedroom for anywhere from $325/mo. (private renters), to $450 (low-end complex), to $550 or so (swankier complex). How does that compare to, say, the New Jersey suburbs close to Rutgers?

I'd be tickled pink to live in Haddonfield, since I'm a horror buff and that's the town Michael Myers is from.
In the book he is from Haddonfield NJ, in movie he is from Haddonfield Illinois. You can probably live in Philly and commute in.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Oh yeah, I knew it would be more expensive. Was just wondering by how much.

Where are the worst areas of Camden, crime-wise? North, south, east?

Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, I knew it would be more expensive. Was just wondering by how much.

Where are the worst areas of Camden, crime-wise? North, south, east?
Yes. The area around City Hall, the campus and the waterfront with the aquarium, etc. is OK. Everything else is not good, bad or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia