Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 06:36 PM

37 posts, read 78,797 times

Advertisements

I'm in Marlton, and live on a corner lot that gets plenty of sunshine. I'd like to put a tree on my lawn.

I've been told September is the best month to plant. Can someone confirm? Also, any ideas about what kind of tree? I like those red/purple Japanese maples, I'd also consider a pear tree as long as it doesn't grow actual pears. Have cherry blossoms in backyard, don't want another bc the roots run all over the yard.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 05:22 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Late summer, early fall is an ideal time to plant trees and shrubs. You won't lose them to heat stress, and they'll have time to grow roots before the ground freezes.

Don't plant a Bradford Pear.
Bradford Pear: A Mixed Blessing in the Landscape

I'm partial to Dogwood trees, but they are quite wide in maturity.
Why Use Improved Hybrid Dogwood Trees?: Rutgers Licensing and Technology: Agricultural Products

I'd plant a Ben Franklin Tree.
Ben Franklin Tree-- Franklinia alatamaha - Plant Palette - University of Illinois Extension serving Dewitt, Macon and Piatt Counties
It'll never get too tall. They flower late season. You'll be the only person in your neighborhood who has one.

I found a nice single trunk at RareFind Nursery in Jackson.

You live at the edge of the Pine Barrens. Your planting zone is 6a or 7 and your soil is probably acidic.

You might want to also post this in the Garden Forum.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Ditto on the Bradford pear. They are nice but are a nightmare to maintain once they age. My neighborhood is full of them and while they are nice in the summer, they drop like flies. I lost one in my front property and neighbor had lost both of his. Big storms are a big concern in the neighborhood as branches do split. Luckily, we have underground electrical wires.

Japanese Maple are nice. Just make sure you have the right soil. Stay away from the lacie leaves as they may not be able to take the full sun. I have the green and red ones and they are very slow grower.

Visit a few of your local nursery and as for some recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: