Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:30 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I'm new here, and was hoping someone here could help my wife and I with our upcoming move. We currently live in Hamilton (Mercer County) and it is becoming very crowded. The driving here is rather aggressive (annoying anymore), the people seem to have changed (many have moved in from other places), I am not happy with the quality of the schools, and in general we are looking for someplace that is more quiet, a bit less expensive, safe, and more laid-back.

We've been considering looking in Atlantic County, although we haven't ruled out other parts. We have also considered parts of Burlington or Southern Ocean (like Tuckerton), but again are leaning toward Atlantic. We are both teachers so cannot afford to live in places like Chesterfield, but I am sure there are other places we can go.

Could someone help us in the right direction? Our highest priority is to find good schools, and a good, friendly, safe community in which to raise our children.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,667 times
Have you looked into Cherry Hill?

Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Hi NSA162,

I'm very familiar with Cherry Hill, I'm down there about 2 or 3 times a week. To be honest, Cherry Hill is too congested for us and the driving there is insane. Looking for someplace quieter, any other suggestions in the area?

Mark

Old 12-27-2007, 07:03 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,980 times
I've heard good things about Shamong and Southampton Townships in Burlco

Old 12-27-2007, 07:42 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
Quote:
a bit less expensive, safe, and more laid-back

Quote:
Our highest priority is to find good schools, and a good, friendly, safe community in which to raise our children.

We did a lot of research before settling down in Cinnaminson. We wanted to be able to "stay put" for my children's entire school "career". We don't earn a ton of money either, and Cinnaminson or Delran was the best mix of price/taxes/quality of school system keeping my commute to NE Philly short as possible.

I can't say enough good about the schools ... my son has a learning disability and my daughter is gifted, and the school has done a tremendous job getting my son up to speed and keeping my daughter sufficiently challenged.

For the forseeable future the tax situation looks somewhat stable because all the new development is over 55 stuff. That's a big problem in these rural areas that start to get built up, the taxes skyrocket because of all the new schools and infrastructure that's required to support the influx of people.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:32 AM

I would agree about southampton. You should also look into Medford.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
I've heard good things about Shamong and Southampton Townships in Burlco

I agree with Southampton, Shamong, and Medford.

Also, I live in Chesterfield. There are some houses on the market right now that may work for you. They are not the new ones being built, but Chesterfield is nice. North Hanover is also nice, and not quite as expensive, but they go to the same Middle and High Schools.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks Everyone! Please keep the recommendations coming, while I do some research on the towns already listed. Also, any recommendations for Atlantic County?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
Medford has insane property taxes. My buddy pays nearly 5 figures on a 2200 sq foot house on a smallish lot.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Hammonton and Mullica are good choices in atlantic county.There are alot of areas in Atlantic county that you want to avoid.Those two towns are very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia