Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 AM

10 posts, read 37,530 times

Advertisements

So we are looking to buy a house in South Jersey but in good commutable distance to CC Philly. Cherry Hill looks like a great option but a friend of mine who is from Mt Laurel said to stay away from Camden County due to its too close for comfort proximity and shared resources with Camden. From my point of view, it looks like Camden bleeds into all areas no matter where if kids are looking to steal. One example being the promenade theft of the Apple Store in Marlton. So, which is it? Can I live in Cherry Hill or Collingswood or Haddonfield without being worried about safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee721 View Post
So we are looking to buy a house in South Jersey but in good commutable distance to CC Philly. Cherry Hill looks like a great option but a friend of mine who is from Mt Laurel said to stay away from Camden County due to its too close for comfort proximity and shared resources with Camden. From my point of view, it looks like Camden bleeds into all areas no matter where if kids are looking to steal. One example being the promenade theft of the Apple Store in Marlton. So, which is it? Can I live in Cherry Hill or Collingswood or Haddonfield without being worried about safety?
Retail theft occurs in both counties. A little more on at the Cherry Hill Malls more due it's sizes and types of stores. I am not sure why safety is a concern when example of retail theft is used as examples. Just look at the Mt. Laurel sun police report, there are evidence of that going on in Mt. Laurel as well.

I would avoid Camden county just because of it's taxes. You probably have more PA drivers in Camden County. Probably not a case anymore but years ago, it worries me with all the Philly driver in NJ when there was a huge problem of un-insured driver in PA.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,693 times
specific to the question...
Can I live in Cherry Hill or Collingswood or Haddonfield without being worried about safety?

Cherry Hill, Collingswood and Haddonfield are incredibly safe. As safe as any other town in Burlington County. We lived in Bellmawr for decades which is a little more blue collar and close to Camden, and my wife would run the track at night without fear (not saying it was still wise).

But as SJ08054 says... getting out of Camden County should give a tax break.

Gloucester County is also lower than Camden county in taxes. Deptford one of the lowest.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:06 PM

110 posts, read 175,333 times
The neighborhoods become IMMENSELY safer once one crosses Route 130. It actually amazes me how rapidly the scenery of Collings Ave changes on either side of the highway. Hipsters on one side in Collingswood and gangs on the other in Camden. I have lived in one of the blue collar towns near Camden all my life. It isn't a bad place to live but the "Camden bleeding" is getting a lot more pronounced these days and we're a little uneasy about it. There have been incidents in the past but overall these are all closely-knit, family-oriented neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia