U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM

31,241 posts, read 32,249,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
A: why not? Not safe?

B: If I have to take the train I'd rather stay in PA

3: I just do not like living in the city. It is too noisy and not a good environment for biking due to the traffic and streetlights. Like I said before, I may have no choice
a) No, it's not safe. The Waterfront, courthouse and campus are safe, or reasonably safe, during business hours and events. When there are government employees, students and tourists around, the police are keeping an eye on them.

"...the police department places Rutgers–Camden among only a half-dozen colleges and universities in New Jersey that have their own commissioned police forces."

Safety & Security | Rutgers University-Camden

What does that tell you? Camden isn't the suburbs, it's a small, dangerous city.

b) You don't have to take the train, but the ride along Rt. 30 (Admiral Wilson Blvd.) to the bridge isn't pleasant--even in a car. And, yes, the walkway on the bridge may be closed. It's also not open 24 hours a day.

Bikes on Transit & Bridges - Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,234,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
a) No, it's not safe. The Waterfront, courthouse and campus are safe, or reasonably safe, during business hours and events. When there are government employees, students and tourists around, the police are keeping an eye on them.

"...the police department places Rutgers–Camden among only a half-dozen colleges and universities in New Jersey that have their own commissioned police forces."

Safety & Security | Rutgers University-Camden

What does that tell you? Camden isn't the suburbs, it's a small, dangerous city.

b) You don't have to take the train, but the ride along Rt. 30 (Admiral Wilson Blvd.) to the bridge isn't pleasant--even in a car. And, yes, the walkway on the bridge may be closed. It's also not open 24 hours a day.

Bikes on Transit & Bridges - Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
Excellent points on riding a bike on Admiral Wilson Blvd.

I don't know where this poster lives, but it must not be near DC or Baltimore. Years ago I worked with a bike-freak who refused to own a car. He worked & lived in Center City. He did use the subways. This poster should be looking in Fishtown & Northern Liberties. Good luck to him or her on grocery shopping.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM

31,241 posts, read 32,249,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Excellent points on riding a bike on Admiral Wilson Blvd.

I don't know where this poster lives, but it must not be near DC or Baltimore. Years ago I worked with a bike-freak who refused to own a car. He worked & lived in Center City. He did use the subways. This poster should be looking in Fishtown & Northern Liberties. Good luck to him or her on grocery shopping.
Yes, good luck shopping for groceries and everything else.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, good luck shopping for groceries and everything else.
I just think that this person hasn't thought this out or has no experience with a big urban area. I have known plenty of bikers but only one who relied solely on a bike. He had a very small world. He world was Center City. However he did use public transportation. This poster doesn't even want that.

Not realizing that there is inclement weather that would make even a commute from Center City a no-go isn't dealing with reality. If the OP really wants this life I suggest that he or she find a job in a smallish European village & get a work permit. Oh, & not too close to a big city.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:20 PM

23 posts, read 93,551 times
Have to agree that commuting from South Jersey to Philly is not safe or practical. Taking PATCO w/ bike is a reasonable idea though.

Rt. 38 and 70 West towards bridge would be a nightmare. I'm not even sure it's legal. I worked with a Dr. who was an avid jogger and was hit and killed on 38.

Collingswood would be perfect for a young person. Very easy commute to Philly BUT the town is dry. It has some decent restaurants and a town. Haddon Township is right next door, sandwiched between Collingswood and Haddonfield and is right on PATCO high speed line to Philly.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:04 PM

313 posts, read 509,395 times
Are there any neighborhoods in Philly that meet these requirements:

1: safe
2: reasonably inexpensive
3: not too congested, similar to a suburban town

Old 11-04-2014, 04:18 PM

592 posts, read 1,368,583 times
Quote:

Well don't abandon Jersey yet!! :-)

Look up the PATCO train and its stops.
It is a single straight line over Ben Franklin Bridge and into New Jersey.
it runs 24 hrs.

It has several awesome communities along the way where you can rent a house-apt blocks from the station, take bike over...

you'll get off at 8th and market so there's some riding from there to sugar house.

Collingswood comes to mind as an awesome town, that has a lot of larger older homes that have been split into multiple rental units

Old 11-04-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Well don't abandon Jersey yet!! :-)

Look up the PATCO train and its stops.
It is a single straight line over Ben Franklin Bridge and into New Jersey.
it runs 24 hrs.

It has several awesome communities along the way where you can rent a house-apt blocks from the station, take bike over...

you'll get off at 8th and market so there's some riding from there to sugar house.

Collingswood comes to mind as an awesome town, that has a lot of larger older homes that have been split into multiple rental units
Would you ride a bike from 8th & Market to Sugar House in the heat of the summer? How about during a nor'easter? How long do you think that the OP will keep the job if he or she keeps showing up looking like a drowned rat? The OP is not being realistic. I worked in Philly & drove or took the train, depending on job location. The OP either has to get real & get a car or live in Fishtown or Northern Liberties.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:

What do you think that the answer is to #3?

Will you have to interact with the public for this job? If you have to interact with people do you think it would be a good idea to show up looking like a drowned rat if you ride a bike for miles in a storm? Do you think that no one would notice it you're dripping with sweat in the heat of the summer?

Old 11-16-2014, 01:56 PM

518 posts, read 1,560,192 times
Cycling in Camden County? Good luck! You would be safer pitching a tent in the roughest area of Camden and wearing all your costly jewelry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia