U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:30 PM

110 posts, read 159,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
:| (and CH isn't even all that "multiculty").
Large Asian and Jewish populations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 05:36 PM

8,453 posts, read 11,743,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
Large Asian and Jewish populations.
Not many blacks and Latinos, so no, not "multiculty." A lot of NJ towns are Jewish/Asian these days. In addition to CH/Voorhees, there's Marlboro, Livingston, Highland Park, West Windsor...

Old 11-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Not many blacks and Latinos, so no, not "multiculty." A lot of NJ towns are Jewish/Asian these days. In addition to CH/Voorhees, there's Marlboro, Livingston, Highland Park, West Windsor...
Blacks are concentrated in western sections of CH near Haddonfield. I know several and if you drive down 561 in that area you're more than likely to spot some. I don't know any Latinos in CH but judging from how many I see chatting away in Spanish at the shopping centers I'd venture to say there are probably quite a few of those there as well. It'd be ignorant of me to assume they all live in Pennsauken or Camden, no? Besides, you don't need to have every single group to fit the definition of multiculturalism.

Those are in Central/North Jersey, not really helping the OP.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Blacks are concentrated in western sections of CH near Haddonfield. I know several and if you drive down 561 in that area you're more than likely to spot some. I don't know any Latinos but judging from how many I see chatting away in Spanish at the shopping centers I'd venture to say there are probably quite a few of those there as well. Besides, you don't need to have every single one to fit the definition of multiculturalism.

Those are in Central/North Jersey, not really helping the OP.
I didn't say there were "no" blacks or Latinos, only that the proportions are fairly small (6% is big enough to be noticeable but is still modest). As a whole. There are a lot of black people in Ardmore, but that doesn't make Lower Merion a "multiculty" township. Those other towns were comparisons, not suggestions... Besides, the OP seems potentially okay with being somewhere 90-95% white vs. 80-85% white.

Haddonfield actually became less black between 2000 and 2010, so you can rest easy in that regard. More Jews are moving in though, and the Asians will eventually follow.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I didn't say there were "no" blacks or Latinos, only that the proportions are fairly small (6% is big enough to be noticeable but is still modest). As a whole. There are a lot of black people in Ardmore, but that doesn't make Lower Merion a "multiculty" township. Those other towns were comparisons, not suggestions... Besides, the OP seems potentially okay with being somewhere 90-95% white vs. 80-85% white.

Haddonfield actually became less black between 2000 and 2010, so you can rest easy in that regard. More Jews are moving in though, and the Asians will eventually follow.
Perfectly okay with that, just keep Camden out.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Perfectly okay with that, just keep Camden out.
Don't think Haddonfield needs to worry about that one. Audubon, Oaklyn, etc. may someday be a different story, but for now those seem fine despite their proximity.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Don't think Haddonfield needs to worry about that one. Audubon, Oaklyn, etc. may someday be a different story, but for now those seem fine despite their proximity.
Bellmawr, Brooklawn, Mount Ephraim and Gloucester are already on that track. I'm afraid someday is today.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 PM

31,200 posts, read 32,146,088 times
I'm pretty sure Brooklawn was featured in a book about predominately black small towns in Southern NJ. It was called something like Small Towns Black Lives. It was written years, decades ago.

There used to be a couple of really good roadside BBQ places in the area. I'm sure they're gone now.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm pretty sure Brooklawn was featured in a book about predominately black small towns in Southern NJ. It was called something like Small Towns Black Lives. It was written years, decades ago.

There used to be a couple of really good roadside BBQ places in the area. I'm sure they're gone now.
I believe you're thinking of Lawnside, which IIRC was founded by/for freed slaves. As of the 2010 census, Brooklawn was only 5.3% black.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:38 AM

512 posts, read 960,844 times
Haddonfield also had the distinction of having a segregated school district in the 1950's. few people lived in Cherry Hill before 1950 so it did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia