U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,163,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Some of the ones in PA were closer you know... Media (though the parking there can really suck) and Ardmore come to mind.
I was going to Delaware & went to Trader Joe's in addition to other places. A drive to Media & Ardmore would have been stupid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
I'd think a Trader Joes in Cherry Hill could be popular, but I'm not sure of the best space to accommodate the chain at the moment.

The old Pathmark space is still open but that space has a downscale element and isn't as visible. But a center's facade can change and people tend to find out where things are located generally by word of mouth.

There is the old I Goldberg space across the new Whole Foods Market, where a Mandarin Inn and Sleepy's closed. Sleepy's moved to Mattress Giant's space.

That area is nicer,near to 70 and more upscale shopping choices, but I don't think that combined two unit space is large enough. But I'm curious what could go in this relatively decent space given it's across the Whole Foods on Kings Highway. Maybe a few more restaurants.

This is a new article on CH retail space, but doesn't give enough info:
Cherry Hill's a hot property with developers

If one can, it's better to come in from the Starbucks side and not park actually in the spaces very close to the Trader Joes store, but close enough where one crosses the pedestrian walk.

The south end of the plaza was designed too close to Route 73. If one is driving on 73 N, coming up from Voorhees for example, even with a right turn signal on and going slowly, it requires a relatively sharp turn into the shopping center,which can be bad if there are cars behind that just want to keep a high speed. There are also not enough parking spaces and too many cars coming in/out in a tight space. That maybe fine for tenants like Sleepy's or Bombay Company (that used to be there before), but for a Trader Joes, it's too tight spaced.
Before I Goldberg, that space was an Acme.

The Marlton Trader Joe's used to be a Pepperidge Farm outlet many years ago.

I don't like the traffic or the parking there. I used to go to Delaware & saved my Trader Joe's shopping for there. It's an option. It's not that far & there's plenty of shopping in the area & you know what they say about Delaware. No sales tax.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,258,595 times
Guess what the Princeton Trader Joe's has in common with only one other Trader Joe's in the state (quite far north I believe): booze! Coming from South Jersey I would much rather drive up there than to the Wilmington location and have to go to a soulless Total Wine for the best booze selection and prices close by.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:07 PM

161 posts, read 330,393 times
Not sure how long it will take to convert the locations to the Aldi format, but the Cherry Hill location is sporting a coming soon banner out front.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Guess what the Princeton Trader Joe's has in common with only one other Trader Joe's in the state (quite far north I believe): booze! Coming from South Jersey I would much rather drive up there than to the Wilmington location and have to go to a soulless Total Wine for the best booze selection and prices close by.
I don't drink. I like tax-free Delaware over booze that I won't buy.

Are you trying to say that you're also from South Jersey? You've stated on other boards that you're from Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Louisiana.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:08 PM

Drove by the Cherry Hill location today, exterior work (the side facing Rt. 38) has begun...

Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 PM

An article about renovations being started at the Woodbury location, mentions that it could possibly open by the end of August. It also confirms that the nearby West Deptford location will close when the new Woodbury location opens. I am guessing the same will happen with Maple Shade when Cherry Hill opens.

Work begins to turn Woodbury Bottom Dollar into Aldi; nearby Aldi to close | NJ.com

Old 06-10-2015, 01:28 PM

After driving past the former Woodbury Bottom Dollar, it is obvious that remodeling is way ahead at the Cherry Hill site. I also found a marketing flyer for the Cherry Hill center, that lists Aldi as "Coming in July 2015". I guess an opening is closer than we thought. http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/5BE6C...5142ED0BC6.pdf

Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM

122 posts, read 162,054 times
I wonder if Aldi would consider stores in Atlantic County?

From Aldi's store locator, there are no Aldi stores there with nearest Aldi's in Turnersville and Vineland. I can think of a couple of sites:

-Former rundown site of Acme in Egg Harbor City. Aldi could demolish and build a free-standing store.
-Hamilton Mall area, near Sears. There's a entirely vacant shopping center where Aldi could be a side anchor.
-Assuming part of the former Genuardi's space in Egg Harbor Twp.
-Assuming part of the former Superfresh space in Hammonton

Maybe Egg Harbor City, the first one mentioned, is even too downscale for Aldi though.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:43 PM

^^ I wouldn't be surprised to see them expand there eventually. Aldi is in the midst of an aggressive expansion plan. They plan to open around 650 new stores in the US within the next five years. Aldi details plan to expand in the U.S. - MarketWatch

Don't forget that we may also eventually see their European rival Lidl a few years down the line. They plan to launch by 2018 and it looks like they selected Virginia as their headquarters. Lidl confirms U.S. expansion | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia