U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:51 PM

23,806 posts, read 32,161,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
^^ I wouldn't be surprised to see them expand there eventually. Aldi is in the midst of an aggressive expansion plan. They plan to open around 650 new stores in the US within the next five years. Aldi details plan to expand in the U.S. - MarketWatch

Don't forget that we may also eventually see their European rival Lidl a few years down the line. They plan to launch by 2018 and it looks like they selected Virginia as their headquarters. Lidl confirms U.S. expansion | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News
Lidl was looking at Charlotte for their headquarters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 05:09 PM

161 posts, read 330,381 times
The Cherry Hill Aldi store will be opening on Thursday July 16th per a billboard I saw on Rt. 38.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Lidl was looking at Charlotte for their headquarters.
Virginia must have offered them a better tax credit to set up their HQ and first distribution center in the state.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
The Cherry Hill Aldi store will be opening on Thursday July 16th per a billboard I saw on Rt. 38.

Virginia must have offered them a better tax credit to set up their HQ and first distribution center in the state.
The idiots in Raleigh screwed it up. It hit the tv news the other night.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:32 PM

122 posts, read 162,043 times
I went to a shopping center in Pittsburgh area (Cranberry) and I saw a Giant-Eagle and Aldi in the same shopping center.

It got me thinking that the Plaza in Cherry Hill could in theory have both an Aldi and Trader Joes as tenants. I know in most cases a grocery anchored tenant in a center will sign a lease and get it to prohibit another grocery tenant but I don't think Aldi is the type (like an Acme or ShopRite) to do those practices.

The former Diamond Furniture would make a great spot for Trader Joes. I think that center being visible to Route 38 and adjacent to the mall, as well as the demographics, would be ideal and it would be a good combo having both Aldi and Trader Joes. I also think TJMaxx would do well in that plaza with Aldi and it might consider this plaza since TJX left Cherry Hill without any presence at this point.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
I went to a shopping center in Pittsburgh area (Cranberry) and I saw a Giant-Eagle and Aldi in the same shopping center.

It got me thinking that the Plaza in Cherry Hill could in theory have both an Aldi and Trader Joes as tenants. I know in most cases a grocery anchored tenant in a center will sign a lease and get it to prohibit another grocery tenant but I don't think Aldi is the type (like an Acme or ShopRite) to do those practices.

The former Diamond Furniture would make a great spot for Trader Joes. I think that center being visible to Route 38 and adjacent to the mall, as well as the demographics, would be ideal and it would be a good combo having both Aldi and Trader Joes. I also think TJMaxx would do well in that plaza with Aldi and it might consider this plaza since TJX left Cherry Hill without any presence at this point.
Aldi has two divisions. One division runs Aldi in the US. The other is majority owner of Trader Joe's.

You could possibly see the two together in an attempt to block Lidl from going into the same shopping center. That's just as likely as Aldi & Trader Joe's both being there.

Just the same, if either happens the loser is Wal-Mart.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:03 AM

983 posts, read 2,646,233 times
Stopped in the new Aldi on its first day open. The store is really nice. It's very large, has wide aisles, is clean and modern. It is laid out pretty similarly to the old store and has generally the same items...maybe a few more things. For example, they had coconut milk (canned) which I have never seen in the old smaller store. I didn't see any of the old staff. I wonder if any of them moved to the new store.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:39 AM

I stopped by too, and I was impressed by the new store. Everything is brand new inside, no trace of anything Bottom Dollar. It is a big improvement to the old Aldi location in my opinion. There were definitely a few more items available at this store than at the old smaller store, and stuff (like the 'special buys') isn't on top of each other and cluttered anymore. Even the interior furnishings overall had a more premium look and feel to them than the Aldi that opened in Marlton just a few years ago. I actually also noticed that there are no prices hanging from the ceilings of this store like at all other Aldi locations, (All prices are now posted under each item like a regular supermarket) and the standard Aldi tile floor was also absent in place of a concrete-type floor similar to the one in Wegmans. As for old employees, I saw a couple. Aldi had began hiring new employees a few months ago at the Maple Shade location, I guess in anticipation of the move. Opening day had 5 (!!) cashiers on at the same time, a rarity at Aldi.

EDIT: I found this article about Aldi's evolving strategy, and how its replicating successful strategies from abroad for its US store concepts. This specific line sounds VERY similar to what I saw in the new Cherry Hill store: "In Australia it has recently launched four trial stores which have a more premium look and feel. Featuring wooden fixtures, black coloured shelving and new lighting, the concept is designed to push the brand more quickly into a greater number of middle and higher income catchments." http://retailanalysis.igd.com/Hub.as...id=3&nid=14098

Last edited by CH101; 07-18-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The idiots in Raleigh screwed it up. It hit the tv news the other night.
NC ended up getting a piece of the action too. Lidl announced a regional HQ and distribution hub in Alamance County. This is in addition to their announced main US HQ and distribution center in VA.

German grocer Lidl picks North Carolina's Alamance County for regional HQ, distribution hub - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
NC ended up getting a piece of the action too. Lidl announced a regional HQ and distribution hub in Alamance County. This is in addition to their announced main US HQ and distribution center in VA.

German grocer Lidl picks North Carolina's Alamance County for regional HQ, distribution hub - Charlotte Business Journal
I've been in a Lidl in Germany. It was situated maybe 20 feet from an Aldi.

My guess is that Lidl will do infill for Aldi in the US.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM

The new Cherry Hill store looks very similar to the store featured in this promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa6ncIr3EO8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia