U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:41 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,908,938 times

Advertisements

Where do you go out to eat? Favorite pizza? Great breakfast spot? Delicious sushi?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 05:45 AM

296 posts, read 294,884 times
What part of South Jersey? Burlington/Camden counties?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:30 AM

Yes...specifically Cherry Hill, Pitman, Voorhees, Swedesboro...that general area. Although driving 30-45 minutes is not an issue.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:52 AM

884 posts, read 1,550,036 times
For Pizza I like Bricco in Haddon Township; great fresh sauce, charred crust, decent toppings. Nearby Treno is decent, but overpriced. For great pizza you have to go north towards Trenton. DeLorenzo's, (there's two of them with similar spellings, one in Hamilton and one in Robbinsville, both great), Osteria Poccarini (Pennington, Princeton, and Crosswicks), and several places in Bordentown, are all excellent.

As for other cuisines...
Ponzio's in Cherry Hill is a good diner. Thai Basil in Collingswood has good Thai food in a chic setting. I like Haddon Bistro for breakfast, though they seem to have a bad rep. The Station House in Haddon Heights is also good. Turning Point is a growing brunch chain with locations in Marlton and Cherry Hill; I wasn't particularly impressed with their food offerings considering the price, but they have an awesome coffee selection. Speaking of coffee, Revolution in Collingswood and Jersey Java in Haddonfield are my favorites. Although it might not be cool to admit it, I actually like a lot of the chain restaurants in Cherry Hill. Grand Lux and Brio Tuscan Grill are usually very good, and McCormick & Schmick's does a great happy hour.

I'm still seeking good places down here for: sushi, Moroccan, Korean, and Cuban.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:51 PM

31,222 posts, read 32,186,423 times
Library II in Voorhees for steaks, lobster and some other seafood. They have a salad bar. Yes, they have a salad bar! It has everything--anchovies for your Caesar salad, chunks of cheese, loaves of bread, whole pieces of fruit, as well as the usual salad bar offerings.

The best sushi in that area, in my opinion, is to be found at Mikado on Rt. 70 in Marlton.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,631 times
I used to live in Gloucester County, but have recently moved to Camden County (Collingswood). I prefer places that have take-out, low prices. These are some of my low-cost favorites in Gloucester and Camden County. Probably a way longer list than anyone was looking for.

In Gloucester County...

Pizza, for upscale pies with fancy toppings try Marino's in Mullica Hill. They have a peach pizza in August that uses fresh peaches and is really good. For simple pies I like Pizza Garden in Pitman, and for greek style crust (the thick dense kind) Jim & Mike's in Pitman is awesome.

Breakfast would have to be at Angelo's Diner in Glassboro. It's a "greasy spoon" hole in the wall kind of place, but they have the best pancakes in the area ($2.75 for a stack of 3). Great, simple breakfast fare, eggs, home fries, toast, full array of jersey breakfast meats (bacon, sausage, Italian sausage, pork roll, scrapple, ham.)

Sushi would probably go to Tomo Sushi in Glassboro or Mandarin in Mullica Hill.

Other stray restaurants in Gloucester County doing something fresh or interesting...

Green Zebra in Glassboro (Healthy salads, organic soda fountain, super nice owner)

Bo Ne Restaurant in Woodbury (only Vietnamese cuisine in South Jersey to my knowledge, decent banh mi hoagie without having to cross the bridge to Philly)

Bus Stop Music Cafe in Pitman (live music venue on certain nights, open mic tuesdays, organic paninis, coffee, a little pricey but great vibe)

Think Greek in Glassboro (only Greek in the county, excellent home made HOT OUT OF THE FRYER potato chips, gyro wraps and platters)

Village Bagels in Mullica Hill and Ry's Bagels in Glassboro each have their loyal followings. I like them both. Village Bagels puts their toppings on both sides of the bagel and Ry's has the "French Toast" bagel. Village has a more pronounced center hole, Ry's has fat chewy bagels with barely a slit in the middle. Try both.

Pal Joey's in Mantua has limited hours, but the best hoagies and subs in the county. They make their own bread/rolls and frequently sell out.

Just opened in Glassboro is "Grilly Cheesy" on High Street. Haven't tried it yet, but heard good things.

In Camden County:

2 favorites pies at the moment are the Grandma's Pie at Cafe Antonio's in Collingswood, and any pie from Mangia Bene in Bellmawr.

Breakfast spots include:

The already mentioned Station House in Haddon Heights has good specials, nice atmosphere and quiet downtown location. Walk off breakfast in the nearby Haddon Lake Park for a nice weekend morning.

Pop Shop in Collingswood is novel and fun, great for kids. Can be extremely noisy and have long wait times on weekend mornings though.

Treehouse Cafe in Audubon is a great coffee house, but their breakfast food is almost all homemade, lots of new interesting "off menu" items to try depending on what the owners make.

Silver Diner in Cherry Hill is a haven for Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Lactose Intolerant, Organic, Non-GMO, locally sourced diner fare. Pricey, but worth it to accommodate ethical, quality, allergy sensitive eating.

I have yet to order sushi in Camden County.

Other great spots:

Indeblue in West Collingswood has amazing Indian food, worth a 30-45 minute drive. This is a nice night out, way too pricey for daily dining, but worth it for a treat. They make all their dishes mild, medium, or spicy. The mild has NO heat to it, if you are scared of trying Indian because you don't like spicy food, order the mild and hakuna matata.

Fiesta Mexicana in Camden is authentic Mexican. Don't let the neighborhood scare you, but if you must, order online for pick-up and eat at home. Way more authentic (and cheaper!) than the Tortilla Press in Collingswood, although lacking on atmosphere. If you dine-in, your server may not speak English. This is a good thing.

Donkey's on Haddon Ave in Camden (Only open 10am-4pm Mon-Fri) has the best cheese steak in South Jersey. Amazing old building, very cool bar, lots of history. Neighborhood is fine during the day, when this place is open.

WilJax in Haddon Heights is probably the next best sandwich place. Similar to Pal Joey's in Mantua. Lots of Italian choices like pork and broccoli raab, eggplant, etc. Decent vegetarian selection of hoagies as well.

Asides: Jim's Lunch is Millville has been operating for almost 100 years. Only open Columbus Day to Memorial Day, every South Jerseyan owes it to themselves to try this place at least once. The sliders with their special sauce are the "must order" item, but this place also has great soups, sandwiches, and to die for caramel apple pie. Another greasy spoon type place, like Angelo's in Glassboro.

Lapp's Dairy Bar on Route 40 near Cowtown. This place is a gleaming beacon of authentic 50's nostalgia, not the manufactured kind at Pop Shop or Nifty Fifties. The first time I saw it I thought I had traveled back in time. The pulled pork is their specialty, but they churn out monstrous milkshakes, and typical burger/fries fare. Worth a trip during the summer after a day at Cowotwn.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 AM

I agree that the Pop Shop is great for kids. And I second your Tomo recommendation.

Next week I'm going to try Bombay Pizza in Voorhees, just because, well, it's intriguing me.

Thanks for the Bo Ne info....love banh mi!

Old 12-21-2014, 07:56 PM

128 posts, read 338,774 times
Brunos Pizza in Haddonfield is awesome! Its right on the border of Audubon and Haddonfield on Hopkins Rd. Try the Margharita pizza, Sicilian style.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:14 PM

884 posts, read 1,550,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcost$$ View Post
Brunos Pizza in Haddonfield is awesome! Its right on the border of Audubon and Haddonfield on Hopkins Rd. Try the Margharita pizza, Sicilian style.
The Star Ledger recently did a "Best Pizza in South Jersey" column and ranked Brunos very highly.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:18 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,499,458 times
Atlantic City gives the best variety of restaurants in the area IMHO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia