U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a good location to live in order to attend University of Philadelphia.

I have a 7 year old son, so I want to be in a good area for him to attend school as well as a location near the things we like too do such as restaurants, shopping, movies etc. I looked into Harrisburg but then realized that drive would be horrible. I have no idea I found one condo in Clayton nj but its ok. Can someone give any suggestions this is stressing me out!!! Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:35 AM

23,806 posts, read 32,234,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsnj25 View Post
I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a good location to live in order to attend University of Philadelphia.

I have a 7 year old son, so I want to be in a good area for him to attend school as well as a location near the things we like too do such as restaurants, shopping, movies etc. I looked into Harrisburg but then realized that drive would be horrible. I have no idea I found one condo in Clayton nj but its ok. Can someone give any suggestions this is stressing me out!!! Thanks
Clayton is not a town that I have ever recommended. What's you're housing budget? I assume that you're looking for a rental.

Are you planning to attend University of Pennsylvania or Philadelphia University? They are not the same place.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 AM

884 posts, read 1,551,572 times
Whether you're attending Philly U. or UPenn, Collingswood would be my first reccomendation. School's aren't too bad, housing isn't terribly expensive, safety isn't an issue, the population is diverse (by SJ standards at least) and you can take mass transit to access either school.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:39 PM

8,490 posts, read 11,772,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
Whether you're attending Philly U. or UPenn, Collingswood would be my first reccomendation. School's aren't too bad, housing isn't terribly expensive, safety isn't an issue, the population is diverse (by SJ standards at least) and you can take mass transit to access either school.
I wouldn't commute to Philadelphia University from New Jersey. Either PA or NJ is fine for UPenn.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:11 PM

884 posts, read 1,551,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I wouldn't commute to Philadelphia University from New Jersey. Either PA or NJ is fine for UPenn.
Ugh, I realized I was thinking of the community college. Yeah philly U would require switching to SEPTA and riding up to East Falls.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:47 AM

681 posts, read 1,446,302 times
Collingswood for proximity and school, 100%. Clayton is definitely a bad choice from proximity to low school district.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:22 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,319,308 times
I went to school and worked in Philly. I suggest you ask Penn for ideas. Personally I would want to be as close as possible. And if you want farther out figure out the trains. I know a lot of the staff at the hospitals in Philly use the trains to get in. I lived in both Swarthmore and Media for a while, both were family friendly and very nice.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:40 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,628,397 times
I live near Clayton and teach at UPenn. You do NOT want to live in Clayton if you want good schools. Enough said. Collingswood is a good choice, but if you're going to take mass transit into the city, you'll need to take PATCO in NJ and then switch over to the Market-Frankford El in Philly. From my part of South Jersey (and this would go for Clayton, too), it isn't feasible to take PATCO. By the time I drive to the closest station, I can almost be at Penn.

You will need to consider traffic if you are planning to drive. On a good day when traffic is moving normally, I can leave my house and be parking my car in 35 minutes. (That would be considerably shorter from a place like Collingswood.) On a bad day when there is an accident on the Schulykill Expressway (I-76), that commute can turn into an hour-plus nightmare. And forget driving home on Fridays in the summer. I teach a class that ends at 3 PM on Fridays in the summer, and it has, on more than one occasion, taken me 2 hours to get home. An hour-plus is normal.

The suggestion to look at the Philly suburbs in Pennsylvania is also a good one. If you go to that forum, you should get plenty of suggestions. Good luck at Penn!

Old 01-22-2015, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,788 times
Like others have said, the difference between Philadelphia University and the University of Pennsylvania is huge when considering commuting, so clear that up for us. I'm from New Jersey, and currently live right over the Ben Franklin in Center City Philadelphia.

If you're going to Philly U, driving is your best option. I drive to the campus three or four times a week, it takes me about 15 to 20 minutes each way from my apartment. Parking is tough on campus, but there's actually free parking near dorms a little bit off campus with busses that run to main campus all day and night. It's about a two minute ride.

UPenn is in a heavily urbanized section of west Philly, directly adjacent to center city. The subway stops in the neighborhood, and you could catch a patco train from Jersey and get there no problem.

Everyone will give you suggestions to look at in the suburbs directly outside Philly, which is great, but also look at places like Medford/Marlton/Evesham along 70 and Hammonton/Berlin along 30. Some of the commutes will be longer, but they're cheaper, and quieter if that's what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia