Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,625 times

Advertisements

Please try to give some specific examples of why an area is bad, in your opinion. Saying "it's awful" doesn't help very much. It's too vague. If you say there's 'drug and gun activity' or 'gangs of teenagers running the streets' then I'd know why it's "awful." If it's because 'the neighbor's dog barks,' then it may be awful to you, but livable for other people. More details just helps those who don't know the area like you do.....thanks.

Jakk05-08-2010, 06:47 AM:
Stay away from Clementon. I lived in the Cherrywood townhouse section of Gloucester Twp and had a Clementon mailing address. My best friend lives in Clementon a few blocks before the Water park. Its awful. She wishes she could move but she cant afford to "get out" (as she puts it). I have been to the Water park and its dirty. When we first moved there we got the yearly passes and went one time. Its gross. You can do MUCH better in surrounding towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
I think the "awful" part of Clementon has to do with the fact that it is a very low income area. It's not "bad" in terms of personal crime, but drugs and the gang activity that goes with it are common. The school system is also rather poor and well below the average for the area.

The problem here is it's hard to paint the picture of "bad" without it sounding like a racism issue, which it is not. I have no problems with diversity racially and socio-economically, but I would have an issue with "stoop sitting" neighbors ala West Philly and multi family apartment houses being overrun by immigrants.

If you are looking for a traditionally nice neighborhood (it can be any color or annual income level), Clementon isn't it.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM

398 posts, read 732,589 times
There are areas of Gloucester Township that have a Clementon address that are just fine. Clementon Borough itself also has some parts that are nice, but the school district isn't as good supposedly. I'm really annoyed with the whole school district situation in this part of the country. The school district should be at the county level. Every rinky dinky little borough and township doesn't need it's own school district. Then there'd be more uniformity and more resources for schools, which would help keep certain towns from turning into "low income" areas.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
There are areas of Gloucester Township that have a Clementon address that are just fine. Clementon Borough itself also has some parts that are nice, but the school district isn't as good supposedly. I'm really annoyed with the whole school district situation in this part of the country. The school district should be at the county level. Every rinky dinky little borough and township doesn't need it's own school district. Then there'd be more uniformity and more resources for schools, which would help keep certain towns from turning into "low income" areas.
You're making an assumption on the school district thing that is not true.

I moved from Cherry Hill to NC, where the school districts are by county. There are good schools & bad schools in each district.

An example is that in my town, the schools do fund-raising for funds to get extras. The schools in my town are the best in the county, overall. Go to Charlotte & the schools are anywhere from good to excellent to bad to awful. It makes no difference, but having 1 superintendant for each county keeps the costs down a lot.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 PM

The schools are probably all equal in quality -- the difference you are referring to is the difference in test scores. A dumber student population = worse test scores, even if the quality of the teachers is constant. I grew up in a county with a countywide school district, so I have personal experience with it... the school districts do not unfairly favor some schools over others with extra funding and better teachers. They can't get away with that.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
I don't think many, if any, areas of Gloucester Township actually have a "Clementon" mailing address. They share the same zip code (08021), but as far as I know the official mailing address for areas such as Glen Oaks and Broadmoor West is "Laurel Springs," although sometimes mail will say Clementon just because it's computer-generated based off of the 08021 zip code.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 AM

You are correct that Glen Oaks and Broadmoor West typically use a Laurel Springs address, but that doesn't stop MLS listings and business listings in yellow pages from using the Clementon default for the 08021 zip code. That zip code covers Clementon, parts of Lindenwold, Laurel Springs, and the parts of Gloucester Township mentioned. Now we have a new business on Chews Landing Road in Gloucester Township, a nursing home, using Laurel Springs on its sign. Gloucester Township needs to start using the name of the township for their mailing address much like most of Cherry Hill does, that would help the real estate values in the area by reducing confusion with other areas in different school districts. The only issue I can think of is confusion with Gloucester City.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:33 PM

14 posts, read 44,109 times
Default The morons that run Clementon Borough

I have lived in Clementon over 10 years. Its a unique area blessed with lakes and mountains! Unfortunately it has been run by dopes forever. Horrible planning. They put a really ugly baragin basement shopping center in the middle of town and exposed the lake front to the dumpsters and trash in back of the stores. They put the elementary school on a speedway with no sidewalks. The municipal building looks like hell. It will take 30 years to undo the damage these fools have done.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM

14 posts, read 44,109 times
The power of the US postal service to tell people where they live is immense. 08021 is a ridulously huge zip code. Does Laurel Springs have a post office? I dont think so. If it does it would just be a substation of the mighty Clementon 08021 post office. There is no partiular reason that Gloucester Township people should use Laurel Springs as a mailing address except that they dont like Clementon. I think "Blackwood" withing Gloucester Township has a post office but apparently it doesnt serve the entire township. What a screwed up system.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
I don't even know if Laurel Springs has a post office, but it used to. I think that's why parts of Gloucester Twp. have a Laurel Springs address - way back when they actually did use that post office and for some reason they never felt like changing it.

But what good would calling it Clementon be? It's not Laurel Springs, but it's not Clementon either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia